Who's your list for next HC? | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
If we hire someone who has never been a head coach I hope we are smart enough to hire them on the cheap (1 million range), this would in theory give us more money to hire assistants. Maybe 600K for OC and DC.

Giving someone like Orlando 2 million per out of the gate makes no sense. Make them prove they are worth that type of money.

Reaction Score
None of those are P5. Branding at those schools not only saturates campus, but the surrounding town, county and sometimes the entire state.

At one of the mega programs, entire economies are built around 7-8 home games oer year. Hotels, restaurants, shops, car dealerships, travel agencies, just about everything. The rest is built on proximity to campus.

If we want to be a true player, we need to have everyone between Fairfield County, to Springfield, Worchester, and Providence on the bandwagon and everyone between Hartford and Storrs to really be on the bandwagon. We had that for a very brief period, then blew it.

Anyone in school during the Fiesta Bowl is now in their 30's likely with young kids. Those kids will be among the last of the legacy fanbase if things don't improve.

Anyone in school during the 1-A transtion who went to sell out after sell out in 2003-2005, now has kids in college or close to. If we had more success post 2011, we'd have a building generational fanbase. We blew it and now have to start over from just the die hards. Kids in school today won't care about UConn FB much after graduation which means their kids won't either.
My 11 year old who loves football cannot understand how i watch UConn football. He has adopted Michigan as the team he likes. I took him and his cousins to the Purdue game. Their insights at the game were on point. For example, my son pointed the LBs would get in too deep into the backfield and "then be chasing the rbs."

You're absolutely right that we/UConn blew it. They let a good thing go to crap. Most kids around here know one thing about UConn football, "they suck", And that is a shame. He was born the the Friday before UConn beat Notre Dame. I held him in my arms jumping up and down. Have to turn this thing around. Diehards are getting older.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
My 11 year old who loves football cannot understand how i watch UConn football. He has adopted Michigan as the team he likes. I took him and his cousins to the Purdue game. Their insights at the game were on point. For example, my son pointed the LBs would get in too deep into the backfield and "then be chasing the rbs."

You're absolutely right that we/UConn blew it. They let a good thing go to crap. Most kids around here know one thing about UConn football, "they suck", And that is a shame. He was born the the Friday before UConn beat Notre Dame. I held him in my arms jumping up and down. Have to turn this thing around. Diehards are getting older.
Does your 11 year old have head coaching experience at any level?

Reaction Score
Does your 11 year old have head coaching experience at any level?
It's funny, but then we have coaches who can't seem to correct the same physical mistakes week after week. Then it's not so funny.

Reaction Score
It's not uncommon at all, Schiano at Rutgers (former coach), Harbaugh (alum) at Michigan are examples and I'm sure there are many others. Moorhead went to Fordham (alum). Brady Hoke is back at Sand Diego State and doing well. Bill Snyder went back to Kansas State.
Our basketball board has a mild obsession with Peikell and if Hurley were to leave suddenly Peikell would be a hot topic.

I think this board is united in that we would love Moorhead to come back.

I agree on the Schiano front - luckily for them it looks like he learned a bit, but am even seeing frustration over there that he is meddling in the OC’s game plans like he always used to, so tbd.

The difference in everyone else you mentioned is that they have proven that they are capable outside of the school relationship. I was more referring to the TJ Weist/Corey Edsall love, and was reacting to the Todd Orlando + Orlovsky rumor. If they had nothing to do with UConn, neither would be in the discussion for those positions.

I agree would LOVE Moorhead - he’s the opposite in that I think the only reason we may have a slight chance is that he has worked here before.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

I spent the weekend at Penn State (spouse is a die hard). I noticed the number of old, and I mean old people climbing 40-50 rows in the rain against Illinois to see there team play along with plenty of others obviously. The number of people who with some sense would have sat this one out at home watching on TV, but still showed up was noticeable. They'll show up next week even though the entire fanbase knows they are looking at going from 5-0 to 6-4 before thanksgiving with there QB hurt.

FWIW, the students were late arriving but the filled their section. I saw many people leaving from the late 3rd Q on and even into the overtimes, but with 105,000, it didn't make a dent. Economy of scale in action.

Reaction Score
Fixed it for you. It doesn't matter who he hires, if he gets it right he will be golden and if he gets it wrong (yikes).
That’s obvious, think about how much worst it would be if he were to hire ANOTHER old UConn HC back 2 back and it doesn’t work out.

Reaction Score
I spent the weekend at Penn State (spouse is a die hard). I noticed the number of old, and I mean old people climbing 40-50 rows in the rain against Illinois to see there team play along with plenty of others obviously. The number of people who with some sense would have sat this one out at home watching on TV, but still showed up was noticeable. They'll show up next week even though the entire fanbase knows they are looking at going from 5-0 to 6-4 before thanksgiving with there QB hurt.

FWIW, the students were late arriving but the filled their section. I saw many people leaving from the late 3rd Q on and even into the overtimes, but with 105,000, it didn't make a dent. Economy of scale in action.
Yeah my friend from work and his GF were there. She's from an extended PSU family and they all get tickets. Its a different beast.

Reaction Score
Another DC. This time a younger version of Don Brown.
Todd Orlando isn’t a horrible pick. He has connections for recruiting. I want to see the full list of candidates but he is a good one.

Reaction Score
None of those are P5. Branding at those schools not only saturates campus, but the surrounding town, county and sometimes the entire state.

At one of the mega programs, entire economies are built around 7-8 home games oer year. Hotels, restaurants, shops, car dealerships, travel agencies, just about everything. The rest is built on proximity to campus.

If we want to be a true player, we need to have everyone between Fairfield County, to Springfield, Worchester, and Providence on the bandwagon and everyone between Hartford and Storrs to really be on the bandwagon. We had that for a very brief period, then blew it.

Anyone in school during the Fiesta Bowl is now in their 30's likely with young kids. Those kids will be among the last of the legacy fanbase if things don't improve.

Anyone in school during the 1-A transtion who went to sell out after sell out in 2003-2005, now has kids in college or close to. If we had more success post 2011, we'd have a building generational fanbase. We blew it and now have to start over from just the die hards. Kids in school today won't care about UConn FB much after graduation which means their kids won't either.
I used to go to conferences at Clemson about once a year in the aughts. This was a time when they and UConn were roughly equal in program strength. From the interstate to Town was about 20 miles as I recall. About half way there the big orange tiger paw prints painted on the road started. Like every quarter mile there would be one.

Reaction Score
Todd Orlando isn’t a horrible pick. He has connections for recruiting. I want to see the full list of candidates but he is a good one.
The style of his defense suggests that whomever he picks for OC would be modern. Give you that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I really don't care if they were a D coordinator. The key is a good O coordinator, a good teaching and recruiting staff and the ability to close on recruits and transfers.
Orlando has been around the block for a long while. He has worked under numerous coaches, so I could see him being effective.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on Holtz. He has teams with good offenses but his record as a HC is lackluster. We can do worse, but we can also do better.

Reaction Score
I'm also still adamant that Dave needs to have people review film on these candidates. Schemes are very important these days and we need some on both sides of the ball that will work with out current talent.
That’s a pretty interesting idea. If you can get some offensive minds to come in and evaluate tape that would be pretty interesting. ,

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I really don't care if they were a D coordinator. The key is a good O coordinator, a good teaching and recruiting staff and the ability to close on recruits and transfers.
Orlando has been around the block for a long while. He has worked under numerous coaches, so I could see him being effective.
If you hire Orlando...first you are hoping he can lead a program which he has never done. Second you are hoping he hires the right OC. And...if the OC leaves (like Lashlee....and Dunn)...you are back to the drawing board and need to find another OC who fits the players recruited.

When you get an offensive minded coach it's easier to maintain continuity on offense. You aren't as dependent on the OC. Defensive schemes are easier to change with coaching changes.

And...I desperately want to see a UConn team that can score points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom