Who's your list for next HC? | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good point. And Spanos and company have already been told they will not be returning after this season. I'm still holding out hope for Moorhead.

I think more appropriately, they were told they were being released from their contracts. Nothing prevents a new coach from retaining any of them. I don't expect that to happen but, if the new coach wanted any of the existing coaches, they just get a new contract.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Understanding that most every one on the yard would prefer a younger coach with HC experience, there are definitely some coordinators I could support.

Either Yurcich or Pry at Penn St
Tim Beck at NC St
Bill Bedenbaugh at OU
I wouldnt mind rossomando..

Reaction Score
I think more appropriately, they were told they were being released from their contracts. Nothing prevents a new coach from retaining any of them. I don't expect that to happen but, if the new coach wanted any of the existing coaches, they just get a new contract.
I think winning the remaining games except for Clemson and UCF or Houston gets Spanos into the conversation. But as of right now we should be looking elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I wouldnt mind rossomando..
He needs to get an OC job before he can get an FBS HC job. Great success at the lower levels, but hasn't done much of note since leaving CCSU. Rutgers, Vandy, Charlotte...Need to see a player he coached get drafted.

Reaction Score
An additional reservation on Spanos is you have to consider how much of the team's performance for the rest of this year is rallying around the staff and players in the locker room given how the first weeks of the season played out. That's ultimately a temporary phenomenon and if hired as permanent HC would not exist.

DB must know he has to take a wholistic view of the candidate's resume. He can't make a hire as a knee-jerk reaction to a solid performance over the last games of the season.

This is before you consider whether Spanos is able to recruit as a HC.
I agree with this view. These “ emotional” hires generally don’t work out that well. Occasionally they do, but I would say the odds are generally not great. Now If this team were to finish 5-7 I do think Spanos deserves consideration.

im not as excited as some about an FCS coach though unless he has some FBS experience As a coordinator. Say what you want, it is a different game. That, for example, is what bringing in a DC from Villanova taught us, I think. He was really respected and considered innovative at a pretty high level program. Not so much here. My hope would be more a youngish FBS. Ex head coach who won, though maybe less than was expected, at a big program. Moorhead fits the bill, with reservations. His team was in shambles at Miss State. So does Herman, though how he translates to the northeast is a question. I’m sure there are a few others that I can’t think of right now.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
im not as excited as some about an FCS coach though unless he has some FBS experience As a coordinator. Say what you want, it is a different game. That, for example, is what bringing in a DC from Villanova taught us, I think. He was really respected and considered innovative at a pretty high level program. Not so much here. My hope would be more a youngish FBS. Ex head coach who won, though maybe less than was expected, at a big program. Moorhead fits the bill, with reservations. His team was in shambles at Miss State. So does Herman, though how he translates to the northeast is a question. I’m sure there are a few others that I can’t think of right now.

Crocker’s problem was the same as Edsall’s - thinking he was the smartest guy in the room. They were both entirely inflexible because they thought “their way” should work regardless of roster construction.

DB must know he needs to hire a coach who is flexible and who can MacGyver the roster to make the best of what we have.

Reaction Score
I was shocked to learn today that Spanos is only 50. I thought he was 10 years older than that given all his experience. If we win a few games and the players love him I see no reason not to give him a fair shake
I like Spanos. I think with him, the key would be to get some really solid Coordinators. Mazzone has had an impact for sure.

whether these guys are it, who knows. But what we do know is RE was an anchor and probably stayed past his time. And we’re seeing what impact good coaching can have.

RE was stubborn and unwilling to change. Always was.

Reaction Score
I agree with this view. These “ emotional” hires generally don’t work out that well. Occasionally they do, but I would say the odds are generally not great. Now If this team were to finish 5-7 I do think Spanos deserves consideration.

We’d be lucky to get coach from JMU.

Reaction Score
Good point. And Spanos and company have already been told they will not be returning after this season. I'm still holding out hope for Moorhead.
Is this your assumption or fact. Haven’t heard that Spanos has already been told he’s not coming back.

Reaction Score
We’d be lucky to get coach from JMU.
he's going to have better offers but if he fell into our lap that would be awesome. dudes a winner. he's 60 so maybe he's just content where he is, but if he has 6-7 more years in him I'd be happy to have him

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Crocker’s problem was the same as Edsall’s - thinking he was the smartest guy in the room. They were both entirely inflexible because they thought “their way” should work regardless of roster construction.

DB must know he needs to hire a coach who is flexible and who can MacGyver the roster to make the best of what we have.
Billy's actually the complete opposite of that..Bill Parcells would've had the same results..It wasn't a coaching issue

Reaction Score
I nominate (soon to be terminated) Nebraska head coach Scott Frost to be the next UConn head football coach.

Scott did a great job constructing a top tier program at UCF after he inherited a hapless 0-12 team in 2016 and over the next 2 season earned a 19 and 7 overall record which included an undefeated 13- 0 season in 2017.

Yeah, things have not gone well for Scott at Nebraska and he will likely be terminated at season's end but he turned around UCF and can do the same at UConn.

After being canned at Nebraska he will be hungry to prove himself a winner again.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He didn't succeed at multiple places, so no, not like Randy. RE also didn't do the full job as he seemed to dislike being an ambassador for the school.

Reaction Score

Doubtful. He's already available... if he was going to be the guy they could just hire him, rather than going through the machinations involved in extending him each week as analyst.

Reaction Score
Is this your assumption or fact. Haven’t heard that Spanos has already been told he’s not coming back.
It's fact. All staff have been told they won't be retained and will given 6 months severance.

Reaction Score
It's fact. All staff have been told they won't be retained and will given 6 months severance.
Need to remember that both Spanos & Giufre have contracts through 2022.

From the Day article:

-> The sources said the university is acting in compliance with contract language.

If the head coach leaves or is terminated (as Randy Edsall was recently), first-year coaches must be notified of their impending termination within three months and compensated with three months' pay. Other coaches must be notified within six months and compensated for six months. The sources said coaches will be notified officially this week via a letter from the university.

"The information tweeted (by The Day) regarding the coaches being told they would not be returning for next year is inaccurate," University spokesperson Pat McKenna wrote in an e-mail. "The coaches are under contract and that contract, along with any relevant obligations under the collective bargaining agreement, will be honored."

I’m not saying that Spanos/Giufre will likely be back, just that the “breaking” news likely related to staff other than them.

Reaction Score
Need to remember that both Spanos & Giufre have contracts through 2022.

From the Day article:

-> The sources said the university is acting in compliance with contract language.

If the head coach leaves or is terminated (as Randy Edsall was recently), first-year coaches must be notified of their impending termination within three months and compensated with three months' pay. Other coaches must be notified within six months and compensated for six months. The sources said coaches will be notified officially this week via a letter from the university.

"The information tweeted (by The Day) regarding the coaches being told they would not be returning for next year is inaccurate," University spokesperson Pat McKenna wrote in an e-mail. "The coaches are under contract and that contract, along with any relevant obligations under the collective bargaining agreement, will be honored."

I’m not saying that Spanos/Giufre will likely be back, just that the “breaking” news likely related to staff other than them.
thanks for this post clarifying this info. Spanos has a great chance to be coach still and SHOULD BE. UConn will not find another coach under 55, willing to take less pay than a typical FBS coach (< 2.0 million, we also uhhh don't have money...), with NFL experience (20 years and 2 SB rings), College experience (UCLA, Alabama, etc.), and ENERGETIC and LIKED by the players and staff. Plus another change in leadership would mean another 1-2 extremely rough years as a mass exodus of young talent would be likely. Lou is young(ish) (comparatively speaking here to people with similar resumes) and this team is night and day from where it was the first few games. The energy, creativity, and experience he has brought is needed at a school like UConn. He checks all of the boxes and if he is retained there would be no aforementioned mass exodus and exhaustive "rebuild" again.. the current one would just continue....

Reaction Score
He checks all of the boxes and if he is retained there would be no aforementioned mass exodus and exhaustive "rebuild" again.. the current one would just continue....

This cannot be overstated, we cannot tolerate another coach telling us he can't win until he has a roster full of his players. It's nothing more than a BS excuse from a failing coach. "Tear it down to the studs" just means "I'm not qualified for this job"

A good coach can come in and make an immediate impact and build on top of what has been left behind. Spanos has already made an impact by having his former colleague (Mazzone) come in and make adjustments to the offense. That's what good coaches do.

Last edited:

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
This cannot be overstated, we cannot tolerate another coach telling us he can't win until he has a roster full of his players. It's nothing more than a BS excuse from a failing coach. "Tear it down to the studs" just means "I'm not qualified for this job"

A good coach can come in and make an immediate impact and build on top of what has been left behind. Spanos has already made an impact by having his former colleague (Mazzone) come in and make adjustments to the offense. That's what good coaches do.
100%

Reaction Score

Moorhead can win with the players we currently have, and make Tyler Phommachanh look like a top QB in the country. JS

Reaction Score
Moorhead can win with the players we currently have, and make Tyler Phommachanh look like a top QB in the country. JS
I agree with that. Moorhead also won quickly at Fordham and MISS ST.

Edsall on the other hand famously went to Maryland and benched the ACC freshman of the year QB who ended up transferring. Edsall took a winning team at Maryland and took them backwards. He pulled the same crap when he took over at UCONN from Holtz.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A good coach can come in and make an immediate impact and build on top of what has been left behind.
I think there are 3 choices that a new head coach will have when he comes in:

1) Tear it down to the studs and rebuild primarily with HS recruits. Takes the longest time. (The Edsall approach.)

2) Tear most of it down and heavily use the transfer portal for recruiting. A turnaround could happen quickly, but risky.

3) Keep developing the current young roster and bring in key recruits from the transfer portal. Probably the best way.

I think everyone needs to think about what the definition of success for a new coach. If he wins 4 games his first year, which doesn't imply a good team, we would think he is a success. Both Benedict and the new coach will know the expectations.

And, I think the 2020 recruiting class will be the cornerstone to the UConn turnaround. There were 25 recruits and 18 are playing right now as Freshmen who basically redshirted for a year and they still have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom