Who's your list for next HC? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Which means what to a prospective coach coming off an 11 win season? A harder road? If you have something going at your current G4 (or equivalent) stop, what about facing a tougher schedule with a group of players who have 6 wins in the last four plus seasons (three plus played) says, this is a good path for me to achieve the next step forward. The scheduling is a good thing for us fans, and for recruits who want to have the chance to play/make an impression on those upper end schools. It's a bigger challenge for coaches to overcome if they want to take that next step.

You are (generally) not going to make a lateral step to a lessor situation even for more money and make your goals harder (or farther off) to achieve. UConn's candidates are going to be coaches at a level where a head coaching job (any head coaching job) is a clear step forward. If you are a successful G4 coach, UConn, at this moment in time, is not that clear step forward. It sucks, but it's also true... coaches who have reason to believe that they have a legitimate chance at a higher level (P4/Big XII, high-end G4) or a similar level job with things already rolling (i.e. replacing Chatwell at Coastal when he gets that next step) are not going to be lining up to grab the UConn job, at least not unless the money is absurd. Given the wide coverage of the athletic department's finances, we're not going to be overpaying.

Do you honestly believe UConn is a lesser program than Coastal Carolina? And let’s be real here this is all your own opinion. You can be wrong. In Chatwells eyes UConn may be a step up for a lot of reasons. Money is one of them. But non of us know exactly what Chatwell is thinking and how he views, or will view UConn.

Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on the UConn Blog. Particularly this: "One thing Dave Benedict should not do — and this is the only thing that he should ever listen to us about — is pick the cool kid." I assume this is directed at a possible Orlovsky candidacy. Someone who has never held a coaching job let alone run a program. Flame away Orlovsky fans, but we do not need beginners in this role.
QB coach, sure. OC, yes. Both roles, sure. Not HC.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe UConn is a lesser program than Coastal Carolina? And let’s be real here this is all your own opinion. You can be wrong. In Chatwells eyes UConn may be a step up for a lot of reasons. Money is one of them. But non of us know exactly what Chatwell is thinking and how he views, or will view UConn.

Of course not, nor did I say it was. I merely stated that for him to achieve his goals, it's not a step forward. I don't think it's a stretch that if you were an 11 win coach in a G4 conference, who interviewed for jobs at South Carolina and UCF last year and is making 850k with your 11-win program; would think that moving to a program with 6 wins since 2017; a more challenging schedule; and with whom the media speculation on the program's future has not always been kind, might not be a step forward or a step towards achieving a goal of moving to the P4 in the future.

Everyone has a price, but given the much covered financial situation in the athletic department, I don't think we're going to be ponying up a price that says, I should move to a rebuilding G4 situation before I try to take another crack at P4 job.

Reaction Score
Just throwing a name out there, how about KC Keeler, he just won another FCS championship last year at Sam Houston State. We should have hired him in 2011. He runs a spread read option offense. Imagine what he would have done with Nebrich.

Someone who wins FCS championships at two different places must be doing something right.
He should have been hired during any of the previous hiring periods no doubt. He’s 62 now which is just too old for what we need. A real shame.

I don’t think for one second Moorhead will come here. He’d be my top choice. He didn’t deserve to get fired at Miss State (winning record, 2-0 in Egg Bowl). Politics got in the way there. DB makes the call to but I’m sure he’ll be able to get a P5 job in a year or two. Bridge was probably burned when he was demoted when PP arrived.

Lashlee is in a similar situation. I don’t think he wants anything to do with us whatsoever. I think that bridge was also burned.

I’m intrigued by a Joe Harasymiak HC/Liam Coen OC reunion. We get the benefit to see how they do with their respective roles this year, could probably pry Coen away with an AHC title (JH coming under budget could probably help with the coordinator salaries). But I am concerned that either might not have great years with their respective teams (Minny looked solid 1H on D vs Ohio State before imploding and UK put up 45 vs UL-Monroe so hard to judge so far).

Very curious about both the Rutgers guys (Gleeson and Nunzio Campanile). If we could get Gleeson HC and Nunzio OC that would be an absolute dream (although I’m sure Rutgers would elevate Nunzio). However I’m not opposed to just going for Nunzio. Elite NJ HS coach and even though he went 1-7 as an interim coach for Rutgers (bad situation with a bad team) that is valuable D1 coaching experience.

Tyler Stockton is another guy that needs to be called. Has UConn ties as a GA and has been huge in leading the turnaround at Ball State as DC. No HC experience which is a concern but maybe get him on as a DC? He’s brilliant off the field too (MBA, interned at Goldman Sachs). Seems like someone you’d want leading the program and can walk into living rooms in a difficult recruiting situation and can probably get creative with NIL stuff. Depending on how Ball State does this year and how well he interviews he could be my #1…

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Which means what to a prospective coach coming off an 11 win season? A harder road? If you have something going at your current G4 (or equivalent) stop, what about facing a tougher schedule with a group of players who have 6 wins in the last four plus seasons (three plus played) says, this is a good path for me to achieve the next step forward. The scheduling is a good thing for us fans, and for recruits who want to have the chance to play/make an impression on those upper end schools. It's a bigger challenge for coaches to overcome if they want to take that next step.

You are (generally) not going to make a lateral step to a lessor situation even for more money and make your goals harder (or farther off) to achieve. UConn's candidates are going to be coaches at a level where a head coaching job (any head coaching job) is a clear step forward. If you are a successful G4 coach, UConn, at this moment in time, is not that clear step forward. It sucks, but it's also true... coaches who have reason to believe that they have a legitimate chance at a higher level (P4/Big XII, high-end G4) or a similar level job with things already rolling (i.e. replacing Chatwell at Coastal when he gets that next step) are not going to be lining up to grab the UConn job, at least not unless the money is absurd. Given the wide coverage of the athletic department's finances, we're not going to be overpaying.
I'll beg to differ. If you're a G4 HC making $400K-$500K and you're offered more than triple your salary for the UConn job, most would consider it seriously. It's not a career killer if you actually have coaching talent. You can always go back to a half million job as a coordinator at a P5 as many others have done. Additionally, HCs have big egos and I'm certain there are more than a few G4 candidates who might be thinking, "I can fix that"... and if they do, as Tony Montana said, "The world is my oyster."

Reaction Score
I'll beg to differ. If you're a G4 HC making $400K-$500K and you're offered more than triple your salary for the UConn job, most would consider it seriously. It's not a career killer if you actually have coaching talent. You can always go back to a half million job as a coordinator at a P5 as many others have done. Additionally, HCs have big egos and I'm certain there are more than a few G4 candidates who might be thinking, "I can fix that"... and if they do, as Tony Montana said, "The world is my oyster."
Facilities at UConn and tv deal are better than any MAC deal or CUSA. Don’t let the poor performance cloud that. All it takes is getting UConn to 6 wins and a coach will have his pick of the litter

Reaction Score
I can honestly get behind Lou Spanos if his 10 game stint turns out well.

Who else can say they worked under Nick Saban and Dick Lebeau while flaunting a couple SB rings?
What would it take for him to get the full time promotion? Honestly if we win 3-4 games and our losses are at least entertaining football (aside from the Clemson slaughter) then that'd be enough for me. I just am so sick of getting bored of watching us play. Everything we do is uncreative and slow

Reaction Score

He just signed an extension making $850k this year before any bonuses (he had bonuses last year that could've taken him to over a million).

Reaction Score
Be realistic...

The Coastal guy is not coming to UConn. Period. He sees his next stop as P4/Big XII head coaching job. You don't go from one G5 job where you won 11 games and got your school ranked #14 in both polls to UConn and delay your next step while you try to rebuild a second program.

Similarly Moorhead makes more than a million this year as Oregon's coordinator. He sees his next move as getting back into a P4 head coaching job after doing a credible job both recruiting and winning in the SEC... he's not moving back down the ladder to move up.

UConn's reasonable candidates are P5 assistants (not coordinators, their next step is a G5 school they think they can win big at or a P4/Big XII head job), G5 coordinators (not head coaches, they're looking to step up to a P4/Big XII head job, not to a new rebuilding project at the same school level), or FCS head coaches without more prominent options (which takes the NDSU guy off the table as he's been holding out for the right job). Retreads currently out of work would be potentially reasonable (and could easily be interviewed/vetted now); but why would you do that? We've seen that play out in two of the last three failures.
You are way under selling Uconn. Sure we had horrible losses due to last 3 coaches, but I truly believe we can be much better with the right coach.

This year with the indy schedule we showed we can recruit. With the right coach, it will get even better due to the fact our games will be on national TV for the most part. Also, we can way better facilities than just about all the G5 schools. With the indy schedule, we also got rid of that G5 label. If we can win majority of games we scheduled, we can be a destination school instead of a stepping stone.

Reaction Score
To be clear. I think UConn is a good job.. that said, I don't think it's an easy or attractive job for someone who thinks their next spot is a P4/Big XII level position. I think we're looking at a coach who is looking to build their name, not a name that is already in the mix for those jobs.

Again, just my opinion, and I'd be thrilled to be wrong, but if you're able to make $850k escalating through your contract (and the bonuses are there to allow him to make an extra 600k per season on top of it) at a program you already have humming... going to rebuild another program at the G4/equivalent level at $1.25M doesn't seem to advance you towards your goal (presuming your goal is to move to a P4 level job).

Reaction Score
He just signed an extension making $850k this year before any bonuses (he had bonuses last year that could've taken him to over a million).

We can definitely pay him more. There’s no way Coastal Carolina can pay a coach more than us. I think we’ll pay $2-3 million base to the next coach.

Reaction Score
What would it take for him to get the full time promotion? Honestly if we win 3-4 games and our losses are at least entertaining football (aside from the Clemson slaughter) then that'd be enough for me. I just am so sick of getting bored of watching us play. Everything we do is uncreative and slow
I’m not saying this in a mean way but where do you see 3-4 wins coming? If he can beat UMass and Yale and is relatively competitive (covers the spread a few times) otherwise he absolutely should be considered for the role.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I wasnt referring specifically to Chadwell. Nor was the comment I replied to.

Reaction Score
I am not sure where he is at, but what about Todd Orlando.

Also, I am tired of never seeing offense since Todman days.. Can we get an OC that is creative. The players will love playing for him

Reaction Score
I wasnt referring specifically to Chadwell. Nor was the comment I replied to.

Actually it was.. it was my comment. That's why I mentioned the 11-win coach (while in fairness, also generalizing it to similar candidates, his is just the name that's come up most frequently). :)

Reaction Score
We have lots of good candidates; we don't need Chadwell. He is not going to taint his RISE to double digit wins this far north.

WE need David Benedict to show amazing good judgement and make a solid choice. I am glad he is making the choice and not some of the jamokes throwing media opinions or peers here.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Actually it was.. it was my comment. That's why I mentioned the 11-win coach (while in fairness, also generalizing it to similar candidates, his is just the name that's come up most frequently). :)
First sentence, sure. After that, the text applied to any "successful" G4 coach.

Reaction Score
Is it an NCAA rule that an AD cannot reach out to existent coaches, or can we start the process? I just ask because once the

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom