Who's your list for next HC? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Yeah I love how Coastal Carolina mixes it up on offense, it’s a well balanced offense. The kids seem to really love playing for their coaches
My wife and I have casually been considering Conway (SC) as a retirement option, and the football there is as appealing as the weather during the winter. They are exciting. Hard to believe they started football in 2003. Crazy success in such a short time.

Jamey Chadwell is awesome, but I shudder to think we could ever entice him away, not just to UConn, but financially as well.

How CCU football coach Jamey Chadwell’s contract could pay more than $3 million per year

Reaction Score
I'm going to throw another name out there that people may not like but actually might make some sense, how about Mark Whipple, another guy we could have hired in 2011.

I know one thing about Mark Whipple, he has a good eye for QB talent and he can run a decent offense. He won 4 games in each of his last two seasons at UMASS, do you know how hard it is to win 4 games at UMASS? that's like winning 6 or 7 at UCONN. His teams at UMASS always fought hard and had a knack of putting up a lot of points and staying close against P5 competition. In short his teams at UMASS were way ahead of where we are now.

Just spitballing names here I know this one won't be popular. This guy fielded competitive teams on a dime budget with trash facilities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Todd Orlando, Joe Moorhead both good options. Still on the younger side, but have valuable experience. Possibly Don Brown too, he’s done extremely well as a head coach in the past, but never at FBS level. Has always had consistent top defenses in the country with the exception of last season. Todd will be getting hired at another school as head coach sooner or later. Why not UConn, he knows it as good as anybody. UConn was good back in the days because of the assistants!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm going to throw another name out there that people may not like but actually might make some sense, how about Mark Whipple, another guy we could have hired in 2011.

I know one thing about Mark Whipple, he has a good eye for QB talent and he can run a decent offense. He won 4 games in each of his last two seasons at UMASS, do you know how hard it is to win 4 games at UMASS? that's like winning 6 or 7 at UCONN. His teams at UMASS always fought hard and had a knack of putting up a lot of points and staying close against P5 competition. In short his teams at UMASS were way ahead of where we are now.

Just spitballing names here I know this one won't be popular. This guy fielded competitive teams on a dime budget with trash facilities.
I think Whipple is too old, but if he brings Davis Beville with him, let's get that done.

Reaction Score

I Agree. He’d come here for low salary. His teams scored a lot of points.unfortunately the other teams scored more. Likely aiming higher.

Reaction Score

He should be our backup's backup as the last resort if we need turned down by everyone else. We need to aim higher for the next hire.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Another outside the box hire with the same name:

Brian Johnson (from AC/DC)

Sure, he may not know coaching football, but imagine How cool it would be to have our head coach be able to sing the start-of-game & between-play hype songs live! That would be a big fan and recruit draw. Just also hire a hot OC & DC to take care of the dirty work and we’d be fine!
Yeah. A hot OC and DC should be able to do the dirty deeds for dirt cheap.

Reaction Score
How about Mike Elko? DC for Texas A&M. Only 44 and a Jersey Guy.

Reaction Score
I think DB has some idea of who he wants to hire. The problem is what good candidate will leave their current situation to jump into this mess? If you’re a great HC you’ll likely wait until a better opportunity opens up. that’s why the Coastal HC is likely not coming here. He’s built a program down there - why do it again when a P5 school will pick him as soon as an opening occurs. Same goes with big time OC/DCs. Sometimes it’s better to wait for the right opportunity.

Money is enticing but not if your coaching/career reputation is on the line with a program that has to basically be built back up. Eliminate the idea of football for a second and think of this as if it were another career. If company A wanted to hire you for a lot of money but the company was teetering on collapse would you jump ship from your current situation that is stable and offers an opportunity to advance or go somewhere much more appealing? I think most people wouldn’t jump solely at the salary and would include other factors in the situation.

it’s a tough situation for UConn to be in. Ultimately we need someone who can build a program and win. We shouldn’t be concerned with offense v defense. We need someone long term who can build a program.

Reaction Score
Would love Sean Gleeson but I think he’s out of our range now. Wanted to hire him when we hired Edsall.

Reaction Score

Whipple should be on DB's list somewhere. Maybe not our first, second or third choice but he has to on the list because who knows how many will turn us down.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know much about Mike Thiessen? He's always working with undersized linemen yet his offense seems to provide entertainment(points). Is the triple option too gimmicky?

Reaction Score
Chadwell, the UAB coach, Healy at Charlotte, and Lashlee are not going to sniff the UConn job. They have bigger plans and will stay south. The football mentality in the south is just so different than up north.

UConn will need someone with northern connections and a willingness to be 3rd fiddle behind the two hoops teams. Head coaching experience and a northern connection shortens the list significantly.

Reaction Score
Chadwell, the UAB coach, Healy at Charlotte, and Lashlee are not going to sniff the UConn job. They have bigger plans and will stay south. The football mentality in the south is just so different than up north.

UConn will need someone with northern connections and a willingness to be 3rd fiddle behind the two hoops teams. Head coaching experience and a northern connection shortens the list significantly.
I would not rule out a southern coach. Decent candidate, like the coach from Coastal Carolina, could spend about five years here and then return South, to a SEC head coaching job -- if time here was successful.

Reaction Score
Look, until the situation in the front offices, i.e. AD, and the Presidents, you can name any coach, and he's still going to be answering to the AD, and President. UC has to, dare I say it, lower admission standards. UC is NOT Stanford. Recruits from Fl, GA, the Carolinas, PA, NJ, OH, NY, TX, etc have to WANT to come to Storrs. We have seen, for years, the marginal players from these states make the trek, because, and let's face it, who wants to play on a airfield, in front of 30-40 thousand, when they can play in front of 80-90 thousand in a first class stadium.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think DB has some idea of who he wants to hire. The problem is what good candidate will leave their current situation to jump into this mess? If you’re a great HC you’ll likely wait until a better opportunity opens up. that’s why the Coastal HC is likely not coming here. He’s built a program down there - why do it again when a P5 school will pick him as soon as an opening occurs. Same goes with big time OC/DCs. Sometimes it’s better to wait for the right opportunity.

Money is enticing but not if your coaching/career reputation is on the line with a program that has to basically be built back up. Eliminate the idea of football for a second and think of this as if it were another career. If company A wanted to hire you for a lot of money but the company was teetering on collapse would you jump ship from your current situation that is stable and offers an opportunity to advance or go somewhere much more appealing? I think most people wouldn’t jump solely at the salary and would include other factors in the situation.

it’s a tough situation for UConn to be in. Ultimately we need someone who can build a program and win. We shouldn’t be concerned with offense v defense. We need someone long term who can build a program.
It can be a great opportunity for the right person. Someone who wants to be here. Make it his baby. If successful they will receive lots of recognition nationwide.

Reaction Score
Here you go. Here's a coach who has actually beat an FCS team this season and he did it with a DII team.

Pete Shinnick. Great bloodlines. His pop was an LB with the Colts and his last two coaching gigs he built programs from scratch. Just won the D2 championship in the program's fourth year of existence.

Pete Shinnick - Head Coach - Staff Directory - University of West Florida Athletics (goargos.com)

Good Call, I was going to bring his name up. Someone we learned about when we recruited QB Mike Beaudry. Someone like this could be our Lance Leipold. Buffalo found Leipold at the DIII level.

We need to search the lower levels for proven winners. Previous head coaching experience with success should be a must have.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Or Jeff banks
Good Call, I was going to bring his name up. Someone we learned about when we recruited QB Mike Beaudry. Someone like this could be our Lance Leipold. Buffalo found Leipold at the DIII level.

We need to search the lower levels for proven winners. Previous head coaching experience with success should be a must have.
Vince Kehres, 2 times D3 winning HC from Mount Union is currently the DC at Toledo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom