Who's on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn athletes? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who's on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn athletes?

Reaction Score
With much respect to the older generation(pre Calhoun era for me) first athletes that come to mind are:
Ray ray
Taurasi
Kemba
Rip
*** springer in the conversation too as well as what orlovsky did for football program.
*** also obviously hard to leave Geno and jc off

Reaction Score
Lobo was also a huge force in putting uconn hoops and women’s hoops to the forefront in mid 90s. Too many great names to pick only 4

Reaction Score
If you have to ask, “Who the heck is Sarah Whalen?”, she probably doesn’t belong on Mt. Rushmore. One sport each, players only:

Taurasi

Toss up for me between Kemba and Napier. I’d love to include Allen but no championship puts him out of the mix. Do you go with Napier and his dual ships or Kemba for his dominating 2011 post season and pro career? I’d go with Kemba.

Springer

Orlovosky

Reaction Score
I just don’t think football or baseball are big enough at UConn to include Springer or Orvlovsky. Basketball rules UConn athletics. For that reason:
Kemba
Ray
Stewart
Taurasi

Reaction Score
I just don’t think football or baseball are big enough at UConn to include Springer or Orvlovsky. Basketball rules UConn athletics. For that reason:
Kemba
Ray
Stewart
Taurasi

I disagree.

It is absolutely legitimate to have Springer on this list.

One of the biggest stars and most well known ambassadors for the school out there right now.

He's the reigning World Series MVP for gosh sakes.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Surprised there aren't more votes for Napier? Man helped us win 2 championships, saved us from what would've been a painful transition from Calhoun, and was arguably our best player ever.
Yeah but he didn’t play 70 years ago so it’s sacrelig to say he belongs.

Reaction Score
Hear ya with no championships from Ray ray but gotta include him. He’s pretty much been the golden child face of uconn since mid 90s. Plus his nba career was sick. Plus he’s jesus shuttleworth.

Reaction Score
Lobo and Taurasi... but no Brianna Stewart?? Is this because the first two built the dynasty and the latter maintained it? If so, I get it. Otherwise it seems off.
Bingo

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
4 time NCAA champion and 4 time NCAA tourney MVP. No player in any major sport in NCAA history has ever come close to that achievement. I don’t care if the other 4 players were three first team all-Americans and the lord . There is no way on earth you can leave Stewie off. Everyone else is up for discussion but she is an absolute mortal lock.

Reaction Score
Playing how I (imo) interpret as the rules...."UConn (collegiate only), Athlete (players only) and one per sport (ughh)"...growing up, I remember soccer and basketball being the major collegiate sports where UConn was a consistent national force (no disrespect to the others).

So now it becomes national collegiate recognition, and good ol who did you respect the most with the ball in their possession when it mattered most.

Kemba Walker
Diane Taurasi
Joe Morrone
Sara Whalen

Reaction Score
Can't cram 2 spots on UCONN Mt Rushmore with 2 of Geno's kids. Diana wins here. Stewie never hit something orange.
11 National Championships makes room for two of them or Geno and one. JC and Kemba for the other two. As much as I'm a football fan, the UConn football program or baseball program have no business putting anyone up there yet. My four picks would be Geno and Diana, Jim Calhoun and Kemba Walker. Keep in mind that a man who should be up there but isn't because there isn't room, a man who stands like a great shadow over all four, is John Toner.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So who has the four golds, Donigan or Blake?

Sue Bird. I didn't actually put Donigan or Blake on my list.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
4 time NCAA champion and 4 time NCAA tourney MVP. No player in any major sport in NCAA history has ever come close to that achievement. I don’t care if the other 4 players were three first team all-Americans and the lord . There is no way on earth you can leave Stewie off. Everyone else is up for discussion but she is an absolute mortal lock.

I think it depends on if you are looking only at UConn accomplishments or post UConn athletic career as well. The "UConn achievements only" list looks very different than "the overall greatest athletes to come out of UConn" list. Stewie may force her way on to that second list as well, but she's too young to have done so yet.

Both Stewie and Shabazz would have to be on the UConn achievements only list. But that's not the list I'd use for our Mount Rushmore.

Reaction Score
Reading comprehension is so rough here.

Half the replies are something like Kemba, Ray, Stewart, Taurasi. Another quarter have Calhoun and Geno on it.

Reaction Score
Yes you can. Diana Taurasi is probably the greatest women's basketball player ever.

Reaction Score
In thinking about which women’s hoop player, it’s a difficult choice between Lobo, Taurasi, Maya & Briana. That’s leaving out the best point guard in WNBA history, Sue Bird and the best center in the game, Tina Charles.
Underneath them would be Kemba, Ray Allen, Springer & Danny O.

We’re UCONN. We get 2 rows

Reaction Score
Yes you can. Diana Taurasi is probably the greatest women's basketball player ever.

Actuallt, Breanna Stewart is the greatest women's basketball player ever.

Reaction Score
Actuallt, Breanna Stewart is the greatest women's basketball player ever.

She has a ways to go to catch Diana in my eyes but certainly is gaining steam. Both great players and an argument can be had for these 2 as well as Maya I'm thinking.

Reaction Score
The possibility is there someday, not now.

Fair.

But this is my eye test take:

Diana Turasi was/is the more fun and charismatic basketball player. She is, without a doubt, my favorite to watch play.

However, Breanna Stewart is simply the best I've ever seen play the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom