Who's on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn athletes? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn athletes?

Reaction Score
Hugh Greer- They named a building after him.
Fred Shabel- maybe put hoops on the national map
Jim Calhoun
Auriema

My Mt. CRushmore
Bobby Red pants
PP
Burr Carlson
Warde
I know there are others here.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Surprising lack of love for meka considering he was a national player of the year and won a title.

How many Uconn athletes have that?

Him and Stewie and DT are basically locks for me. Everyone else fights for the last spot.

the Q

Reaction Score
I’ll add on.

If we stick it to 4, how are all of maya, dt, and Stewie not on it?

They’re historical greats. All are top 10 and arguably top 5 all time WCBB players.

I like Springer, he can’t touch that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The guy who posted it did say only one per sport.

I get Stewart's awards. I'm no women's basketball expert but Taurasi isn't the best UConn player - she is the best female basketball player in history.

George Springer was a first round pick and a WS MVP - maybe if we don't need four sports he doesn't make it but the rules are set up for him to be included.

Since nobody from an ice hockey or olympic sport team jumps out - you may as well take a football player and there really isn't anyone to argue for outside of Orlovsky.

That just leaves whomever you like from the men's basketball team. Early entry has created an uneven playing field. Most would probably take Allen, there are cases for some other guys too.... Smith, Okafor, Larrier... I don't think it's that tough of a call. To me it's Kemba Walker.

Orlovsky
Springer
Taurasi
Walker

Based on the original rules I think we can start looking for the mountain.
Well argued, kudos for your reading comprehension, and the inclusion of Larrier was a nice touch.
If football had sustained its arc, then Orlovsky might get the nod, but I'll go with OP's choice of Sara Whalen instead.
Title 9 & Mt. Rushmore kinda go together.

Reaction Score
I’ll add on.

If we stick it to 4, how are all of maya, dt, and Stewie not on it?

They’re historical greats. All are top 10 and arguably top 5 all time WCBB players.

I like Springer, he can’t touch that.
Only 1 from each sport and Okafor should have been NPOY that year but everyone considers Jameer Nelson the winner. He won all the big awards, Emeka just shared the coaches award with him.

Reaction Score
Springer, Taurasi, Byron Jones, and
15337303866204377422770011.jpg

Reaction Score
The guy who posted it did say only one per sport.

I get Stewart's awards. I'm no women's basketball expert but Taurasi isn't the best UConn player - she is the best female basketball player in history.

George Springer was a first round pick and a WS MVP - maybe if we don't need four sports he doesn't make it but the rules are set up for him to be included.

Since nobody from an ice hockey or olympic sport team jumps out - you may as well take a football player and there really isn't anyone to argue for outside of Orlovsky.

That just leaves whomever you like from the men's basketball team. Early entry has created an uneven playing field. Most would probably take Allen, there are cases for some other guys too.... Smith, Okafor, Larrier... I don't think it's that tough of a call. To me it's Kemba Walker.

Orlovsky
Springer
Taurasi
Walker

Based on the original rules I think we can start looking for the mountain.

I see what you did there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
How can we possibly pick only 4?

I love Diana and she was and is awesome, but Brianna was the best in college. The pros? We need more time. Sue's had an amazing run, Maya is a champion too.

Kemba for that magical 2011 season. Ray is a first ballot HOF. RIP and Meka represented well

George Springer

Men's soccer? Women's Field Hockey?

I couldn't make that decision, I can't pick the best four

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Seriously...she was the best UConn athlete to date.
Stewie did it playing with other All Americans. DT did it alone after her freshman year

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well argued, kudos for your reading comprehension, and the inclusion of Larrier was a nice touch.
If football had sustained its arc, then Orlovsky might get the nod, but I'll go with OP's choice of Sara Whalen instead.
Title 9 & Mt. Rushmore kinda go together.

Women’s golf? Sure but I didn’t know whe went to UConn would be the response by most.

When you have a local Suzi who is more famous that’s a tough sell...

the Q

Reaction Score
Saying one per sport is like saying only one president should be on mt Rushmore.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll give mine:
Diana Taurasi
Sara Whalen
George Springer
Ray Allen

The OP gets it right. All four were great for UConn and top performers and champions at the next level. Whalen probably belongs more than anyone. Three-time AA, College POY, played every minute in an extra-time World Cup final win.

For elimination purposes, toss anyone else in men's or women's BB. None can touch those guys. And toss Orlovsky, we don't need a FB player at all. Especially one whose performance at the next level is mostly remembered by his running out of the end zone.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What gives Nagy the edge over Springer for you?
Long career and was the ace of a great Cleveland Indians team in the 90s. He won a WS.

His stats weren't dominant but for a stretch or years he was 109-67. George is still a babe.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just throwing out some non-revenue sports names...

Dudley Dorival, Olympics 100m hurdles
Sara Whalen, Gold Medalist women's soccer
Erhardt Kapp, member 1984 Olympic men's soccer team
Melissa Gonzalez, Team USA field hockey midfielder

Reaction Score
Allen
Turasi
Springer
Stewie

(Keep an eye on Tage Thompson for future consideration)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The OP gets it right. All four were great for UConn and top performers and champions at the next level. Whalen probably belongs more than anyone. Three-time AA, College POY, played every minute in an extra-time World Cup final win.

For elimination purposes, toss anyone else in men's or women's BB. None can touch those guys. And toss Orlovsky, we don't need a FB player at all. Especially one whose performance at the next level is mostly remembered by his running out of the end zone.

Seriously? Women's soccer is a nothing sport with no legitimate pro league. I'd pick Dan Donigan over her. Or Andre Blake.

My list, based on UConn and post UConn career:

• Ray Allen
  • Sue Bird (Two WNBA championships, 4 olympic gold medals, 11 time all star, 2 NCAA NCs, including Nasismith winner as a senior on an undefeated team)
  • George Springer
  • * Kemba Walker

* This last spot is tough. Kemba's Pro career has been good, but is behind several guys like Hamilton, Butler and even Gay, so far. No football player has done enough post UConn. So it could go to Taurasi (Stewart may earn it in time but is too young). In short, I'd leave this spot on the mountain open for someone to earn it.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi
Dan Orlovsky
George Springer
Ray Allen

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1999 FIFA Women's World Cup - Wikipedia
Seriously? Women's soccer is a nothing sport with no legitimate pro league. I'd pick Dan Donigan over her. Or Andre Blake.

Of course you would. But women's soccer is not a nothing sport. All of the US Women's Team games are televised on basic cable. Women's soccer players are household names. The guys you mention were/are top players. But Whelan was a SI Sportperson of the Year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom