Who's on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn athletes? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who's on the Mt. Rushmore of UConn athletes?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Actuallt, Breanna Stewart is the greatest women's basketball player ever.

That's just absurd. She's been in the WNBA for two seasons. The WNBA all time top 15 has two UConn players on it, Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi. Of the two of them, Bird has done more (over a longer period of time).

Reaction Score
That's just absurd. She's been in the WNBA for two seasons. The WNBA all time top 15 has two UConn players on it, Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi. Of the two of them, Bird has done more (over a longer period of time).

I'm trying to take into account both their time at UConn and their pro careers.

I recognize that Turasi and Bird have had the better careers, based on length. However, Stewart is just the best basketball player I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
In thinking about which women’s hoop player, it’s a difficult choice between Lobo, Taurasi, Maya & Briana. That’s leaving out the best point guard in WNBA history, Sue Bird and the best center in the game, Tina Charles.
Underneath them would be Kemba, Ray Allen, Springer & Danny O.

We’re UCONN. We get 2 rows
I don't think it's a difficult choice. Diana should be on Mt Rushmore first over the others. What she did after Swin, Tamika, Asjha, and Sue graduated was only shock the world by putting an inexperienced team on her back and win two more National Championships. Remember Geno's words, "we have Diana and you don't". The bullet pass she made the length of the floor to seal the win against a favored Texas team was one of the great feats in UConn athletic history. If there is a clip, some one please post it.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a difficult choice. Diana should be on Mt Rushmore first over the others. What she did after Swin, Tamika, Asjha, and Sue graduated was only shock the world by putting an inexperienced team on her back and win two more National Championships. Remember Geno's words, "we have Diana and you don't". The bullet pass she made the length of the floor to seal the win against a favored Texas team was one of the great feats in UConn athletic history. If there is a clip, some one please post it.
Diana Taurasi is the only women's basketball player I've ever seen who has an entirely men's game.

Reaction Score
What is the criterion for this? Are we talking strictly their college careers or their entire body of work?

Just college:
Shabazz
Taurasi
Stewart
Rip or Kemba

College plus pro:
Ray
Springer
Taurasi
Kemba

Reaction Score
How is Stewart being left off so many of these lists?
Because Lobo & Tarausi laid/built the foundation to make it possible for Stewart to win 4 titles. Without Lobo does Stewart even go to UConn?

Reaction Score
My Mt. Rushmore of UConn Athletes:
  • Tate George - hit a shot in a NCAA regional. One lucky shot right? "The shot" woke up college basketball, but more importantly the residents of Connecticut, to the beginning of the most incredible rise to national prominence of any program in history. "The Shot" is a cornerstone to the UConn brand. Nationally, no one knew who UConn was before "the shot". But once it was made it changed the way people viewed UConn athletics.
  • Rebecca Lobo - 1st high school All American to committ to the women's team. Along with Geno Auriemma created the most intense women's basketball rivalry in the history of the sport. Before Lobo, Geno, Pat and the Vols there really was no prime time women's basketball events. The 95 National Championship opened up so many eyes that before never considered women's basketball as a fun entertainment alternative.
  • Donald Brown - the best football player UConn has ever had. He ran around people when he could but he ran over people when he had to. Orlovsky eventually made it to the pros but Brown commanded respect week in and week out and people across college football noticed.
  • the fourth - is yet to be determined. As great as UConn sports has been up to this date there is most likely one that will shine even brighter, make more of an impact on the brand, the sport, the culture that is UConn.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Ray, Orlovsky, Springer, Stewart

Reaction Score
This is relatively easy and I'm seeing too many duplicates.

What's your Rushmore from your time on campus?

For me it's

Maya
Kemba
Donald Brown
Springer

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Rocktheworld, post: 2807666, member: 5037

What's your Rushmore from your time on campus

Difficult. I was there before Title IX and I couldn't name a female athlete.

Tony Hanson
Someone from a very good soccer team (Fran s Innocent?)
Someone from the recent national champion polo team (maybe a horse)
Can't think of an outstanding baseball or football player

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom