Who's next up? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who's next up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure it would be nice to have a top level decommit or grad transfer PG. But think about it from the recruit's perspective.

We have a former McD 5* with 2 (or theoretically 3) years left at the position.
We have an incoming top 100 freshman CG that will likely start at PG at some point in his college career.
We have a rising sophomore who was recruited as a PG, but has been playing primarily off the ball due to our PG logjam, but still may be in coaching plans to develop as a backup PG.
We have 2 other SGs that can handle a bit.

If you're a recruit or grad transfer looking at that, why do you come here? Where's your playing time upside? If someone gets hurt? Why should someone bank on that when there's likely opportunities where you could walk in and be a starter or clear first backup elsewhere.

So our list shrinks to projects or people that can't cut it elsewhere. Staff doesn't need to spend a lot of time on it when we have bigger needs with better likelihoods elsewhere.

Except when both JA and AG were out, our offense didn't stutter because of lack of PG play. It was mostly due to lack of weapons to put pressure on the defense.
We are really limited at point guard, we have one on the roster who is a stud but he has had a ton of injuries. Look at goods teams around the country by comparison.

Reaction Score
Sure it would be nice to have a top level decommit or grad transfer PG. But think about it from the recruit's perspective.

We have an incoming top 100 freshman CG that will likely start at PG at some point in his college career.
We have a rising sophomore who was recruited as a PG, but has been playing primarily off the ball due to our PG logjam, but still may be in coaching plans to develop as a backup PG.

If you're a recruit or grad transfer looking at that, why do you come here? Where's your playing time upside? If someone gets hurt? Why should someone bank on that when there's likely opportunities where you could walk in and be a starter or clear first backup elsewhere.

So our list shrinks to projects or people that can't cut it elsewhere. Staff doesn't need to spend a lot of time on it when we have bigger needs with better likelihoods elsewhere.

In my opinion, except when both JA and AG were out, our offense didn't stutter because of lack of PG play. It was mostly due to lack of weapons to put pressure on the defense.
It is my understanding that Jalen Gaffney is being brought in to be the 2nd point guard behind AG, sharing the floor and learning the position better with Bouknight playing the 2 mostly and the 3. The future backcourt according to their past social media. I think Gaffney has an understanding with Hurley that he's going to be developed at the point or he would have went elsewhere. Speculation but I think there is also a very good chance Jaylin Hunter walks on, another potential point guard. Adams and Vital (hopefully) will also be getting minutes. I see Gilbert playing for two more years 20-21. I guess if the staff sees Vital leaving this year they'll be looking for another guard and they'll probably take the best guard available, point, scoring, or combo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In my opinion, except when both JA and AG were out, our offense didn't stutter because of lack of PG play. It was mostly due to lack of weapons to put pressure on the defense.
If a recruit is afraid of not getting playing time because of the talent here than we don't want him.

Reaction Score
And I don't want a center that is going to back up Josh. I want a center who is going to make Josh a back up.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It is my understanding that Jalen Gaffney is being brought in to be the 2nd point guard behind AG, sharing the floor and learning the position better with Bouknight playing the 2 mostly and the 3. The future backcourt according to their past social media. I think Gaffney has an understanding with Hurley that he's going to be developed at the point or he would have went elsewhere. Speculation but I think there is also a very good chance Jaylin Hunter walks on, another potential point guard. Adams and Vital (hopefully) also getting minutes. I see Gilbert playing for two more years 20-21. I guess if the staff sees Vital leaving this year they'll be looking for another guard and they'll probably take the best guard available, point, scoring, or combo.
I would liken Gaffney to Jalen Adams. Maybe a little higher BB IQ, a little better of a shooter, not as crafty. But as far as size, style of play and ball handling ability they’re probably about the same. So he’s not necessarily a point guard, he’s more of a combo guard who plays off the ball a lot. With AGs various health issues I wouldn’t feel comfortable fielding the team we have now next year. We wouldn’t have enough ball handlers or big men. We need another point guard and another center. I’m guessing this will be addressed with Grad transfers or a late signee and a grad transfer.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I would liken Gaffney to Jalen Adams. Maybe a little higher BB IQ, a little better of a shooter, not as crafty. But as far as size, style of play and ball handling ability they’re probably about the same. So he’s not necessarily a point guard, he’s more of a combo guard who plays off the ball a lot. With AGs various health issues I wouldn’t feel comfortable fielding the team we have now next year. We wouldn’t have enough ball handlers or big men. We need another point guard and another center. I’m guessing this will be addressed with Grad transfers or a late signee and a grad transfer.

I thought Gaffney was a beanpole but very athletic.

Reaction Score
I thought Gaffney was a beanpole but very athletic.
He was super skinny but getting less so. He has a really good basketball build- very athletic, huge hands, and is every bit of 6'2-6'3 now....
Screenshot_20190320-224734_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
I agree. Hence why I was saying he'd be playing out of position at the 5.

So, with only Carlton at the 5, we'd have no one else to fill that role when he's out of the game. The biggest guy would be Akok. And as we said, he's not suited to that role.

Which goes back to my original point that we need a solid center for next year or we are screwed.
Where’s Justin brown?

Reaction Score
Bouknight has the potential and game to be similar to Jeremy Lamb 2.0. We should hope he has the freshmen year that Jeremy had but im tempering my expectations out of the gate. That being said, I am super excited for Gaffney. He has all the tools you look for in a recruit. Loves getting after it on defense, looking for teamates and ran PG for an AAU team that included Bryan Antoine, Scottie Lewis and Aiden Igiehon. His teammates took some spotlight off of him during AAU circuit and probably hurt his ranking but he is a top 50 player in my opinion.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree. Hence why I was saying he'd be playing out of position at the 5.

So, with only Carlton at the 5, we'd have no one else to fill that role when he's out of the game. The biggest guy would be Akok. And as we said, he's not suited to that role.

Which goes back to my original point that we need a solid center for next year or we are screwed.

We played Whaley at the 5. I want a real center as our #1 priority, but if Whaley can be a backup 5, Akok can. Hoping Hurley can find someone.

Reaction Score
Hurley and staff will be back out on the trail this week, so we should have a good idea pretty soon who the priorities are going to be.

I would imagine there is a plan in place for grad transfers, and transfers that can get a waiver immediately as well, but that is a little harder to get a handle on until late March early May.
Dan was at his brothers game last night. Maybe he is going to do some grinding in Arizona?

Reaction Score
And I don't want a center that is going to back up Josh. I want a center who is going to make Josh a back up.
Josh won most improved player in the AAC this year but I like the way you’re thinking. Unfortunately it’s probably delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom