Who's next up? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who's next up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
That's a good point, but I'm just repeating what Hurley has said in interviews and stuff. He wants to play 9 or 10 guys, lots of pressure defense, fast fast fast. Maybe that factored into why Kofi went to a Big 10 school? Wasn't that into adapting to a more run and gun style?
If you're going to run a fast paced offense you need to be able to have backups so guys can take breathers.

I don't care what style you play, you need to have a backup at every position. Period.

Reaction Score
Himalayan League??? I bet the ball really carries in that league. Imagine having the Yeti as your team mascot!

The mythical Yeti is a mysterious and unknown creature that has long inhabited the remote and mostly uninhabited Himalayan Mountains, including Mount Everest, in central Asia, including Nepal, Tibet, China, and southern Russia. This almost supernatural and legendary being is an erect bipedal animal that is over six feet tall, weighs between 200 and 400 pounds, is covered with red to gray hair, make a whistling sound, has a bad smell, and is usually nocturnal and secretive.

More like 7-6 and 800. Play the 5, and no one goes near the hoop. He has cousins in NW CT - easier recruiting trip.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Akok is a 4! What made you think he was a 3? Or did you mean slide over to the 5? You also said polley and Sid to the 3. Sid is a three who can’t shoot.

I just got my numbers mixed up. I went 5, 4, 3 in my head. When I should have meant 5, 5, 4.

In the context of that post, I meant Akok would have to slide over to the 5. And Sid/Polley to the four. So both players at the 4 and 5 would be playing out of position.

Reaction Score
Yes but I'd rather have an athletic 6'7 kid backup Carlton who has rebounding ability than a 6'11 center with slow feet. Emmanuel Ugboh looks so slow in the film I've seen, those Houston and Cincinnati guys that are between 6'5 and 6'8 will out rebound guys like that with ease
I agree with this, but we need these last 2 players to be quality whoever they are. Critical.

Reaction Score
I just got my numbers mixed up. I went 5, 4, 3 in my head. When I should have meant 5, 5, 4.

In the context of that post, I meant Akok would have to slide over to the 5. And Sid/Polley to the four. So both players at the 4 and 5 would be playing out of position.

From what I've seen on him, Akok is not capable of backing up a 5 defensively. Would just get bodied out of the way every time.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
From what I've seen on him, Akok is not capable of backing up a 5 defensively. Would just get bodied out of the way every time.

I agree. Hence why I was saying he'd be playing out of position at the 5.

So, with only Carlton at the 5, we'd have no one else to fill that role when he's out of the game. The biggest guy would be Akok. And as we said, he's not suited to that role.

Which goes back to my original point that we need a solid center for next year or we are screwed.

Reaction Score

Polley is a a 4. He doesn’t have the agility to play a 3. He has the length of a 4 even if he doesn’t have the girth.

Reaction Score
I agree. Hence why I was saying he'd be playing out of position at the 5.

So, with only Carlton at the 5, we'd have no one else to fill that role when he's out of the game. The biggest guy would be Akok. And as we said, he's not suited to that role.

Which goes back to my original point that we need a solid center for next year or we are screwed.

Agreed.

Reaction Score
I’d like to mention something here because there’s s lot of Polley/Sid talk. We ain’t going back to the tourney on the backs of Polley and Sid. Polley is a lousy defender who doesn’t rebound and Sid can’t shoot. He doesn’t have much handle either These are complimentary fill inplayers IMO. Since I don’t believe in magical summer transformations we need more and better talent.

Reaction Score
I’d like to mention something here because there’s s lot of Polley/Sid talk. We ain’t going back to the tourney on the backs of Polley and Sid. Polley is a lousy defender who doesn’t rebound and Sid can’t shoot. He doesn’t have much handle either These are complimentary fill inplayers IMO. Since I don’t believe in magical summer transformations we need more and better talent.

If you want, I’m sure tons of ppl could provide “magical summer transformations”..... it’s called player development

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I’m perplexed by the little care in the BY for having point guards who can handle the ball and facilitate. I would think having bench depth at the 1 position would be a priority. Look how terrible the offense ran all year when Gilbert was out. With Gilbert’s unfortunate injury history, I think we really need 3 guys who can be relied upon to facilitate, meaning we need at least 1 more PG. A grad transfer or top level decomit would be preferred here.

Reaction Score
I’m perplexed by the little care in the BY for having point guards who can handle the ball and facilitate. I would think having bench depth at the 1 position would be a priority. Look how terrible the offense ran all year when Gilbert was out. With Gilbert’s unfortunate injury history, I think we really need 3 guys who can be relied upon to facilitate, meaning we need at least 1 more PG. A grad transfer or top level decomit would be preferred here.
Last year had little to do with PG actuallly AA gave us a little depth at that position..
Lack of a wing shooter until Polley came on a bit made running any offense impossible.
But 2016-17 Ollie ‘s blunder of not having a competent ball handler after Gilbert went down resulted in injuries and overplaying JA that cost us a winning season.
That was potentially a pretty good team

Reaction Score
There a tons of great players out there waiting to be taken by us. Hurley has to identify them. Wondering if anyone saw Belmont’s freshman center #33 beating Temple.who recruited him? We’re going to see many more on mid major teams in the tourney next few weeks too. Carlton needs the help for when he fouls.

Reaction Score

Not saying he's Camby, but what you're saying about Akok is what I thought would happen to Camby. But it didn't because of his agility. Everybody here who was hoping for Kofi needs to find the video showing Akok blocking Kofi near the basket. His athleticism overcame the big body............at least for that part of the video.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not saying he's Camby, but what you're saying about Akok is what I thought would happen to Camby. But it didn't because of his agility. Everybody here who was hoping for Kofi needs to find the video showing Akok blocking Kofi near the basket. His athleticism overcame the big body..at least for that part of the video.

That may be, but Akok is no Camby. Just saying.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Last year had little to do with PG actuallly AA gave us a little depth at that position..
Lack of a wing shooter until Polley came on a bit made running any offense impossible.
But 2016-17 Ollie ‘s blunder of not having a competent ball handler after Gilbert went down resulted in injuries and overplaying JA that cost us a winning season.
That was potentially a pretty good team

I was speaking about this season, not last year.

Reaction Score
Akok is not as weak as some of you think. He has very skinny legs and he needs to work on those but his upper body and more importantly the strength that actually shows up in games is better than many of our recent bigs as freshmen or sophomores.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Akok is not as weak as some of you think. He has very skinny legs and he needs to work on those but his upper body and more importantly the strength that actually shows up in games is better than many of our recent bigs as freshmen or sophomores.

You know this how?

Reaction Score

What shows up is his lack of leg strength and balance. He is extremely weak relative to his competition at this level. His upper body is not bad.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Staff is all in on an overseas kid who went to a boarding school in England and has since been in Asia. Can play the 2 through 5. Raw around the edges but he can do it all.
The NY Mets also want to sign him because his fastball has been clocked at the highest speed ever. They saw him pitching in the Himalayan League.
Expect a LOI on April 1st.
Sid Finch. Throws 110 miles per hour.

Reaction Score

Sure it would be nice to have a top level decommit or grad transfer PG. But think about it from the recruit's perspective.

We have a former McD 5* with 2 (or theoretically 3) years left at the position.
We have an incoming top 100 freshman CG that will likely start at PG at some point in his college career.
We have a rising sophomore who was recruited as a PG, but has been playing primarily off the ball due to our PG logjam, but still may be in coaching plans to develop as a backup PG.
We have 2 other SGs that can handle a bit.

If you're a recruit or grad transfer looking at that, why do you come here? Where's your playing time upside? If someone gets hurt? Why should someone bank on that when there's likely opportunities where you could walk in and be a starter or clear first backup elsewhere.

So our list shrinks to projects or people that can't cut it elsewhere. Staff doesn't need to spend a lot of time on it when we have bigger needs with better likelihoods elsewhere.

In my opinion, except when both JA and AG were out, our offense didn't stutter because of lack of PG play. It was mostly due to lack of weapons to put pressure on the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom