Who's next up? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who's next up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Staff is all in on an overseas kid who went to a boarding school in England and has since been in Asia. Can play the 2 through 5. Raw around the edges but he can do it all.
The NY Mets also want to sign him because his fastball has been clocked at the highest speed ever. They saw him pitching in the Himalayan League.
Expect a LOI on April 1st.
1552938005394.png

Reaction Score
We must get a backup 5. Probably JUCO - Grad Transfer at this point.

Beyond that: Precious if we can het him. If not assuming somebody walks, I'd consider a ball handler next up on the priority list. If Whaley and/or Diarra are still with the team, PF is low priority.

That said, Hurley will have a better feel for how much improvement he expects from Sid and B. Adams in terms of being able to handle the ball and score from outside. Vital really struggled when forced to handle the ball and distribute.
Your end to paragraph 2 is why we need another 4. EXACTLY WHY!!!

Reaction Score
I would take Massoud. Bouk's teammate and Hurley recruited him at URI.
But he did not recruit him for here. I am confident that Hurley and the staff are working hard as we speak on who their remaining targets are. And he will be sitting down with the returning players and telling them what their future looks like at Uconn. Hurley will be brutally honest with them. I think at least one of them will transfer. This will give us 2 open schollies. Pickings may be slim but I am confident Hurley will find players who fit his style of play.

Reaction Score
But he did not recruit him for here. I am confident that Hurley and the staff are working hard as we speak on who their remaining targets are. And he will be sitting down with the returning players and telling them what their future looks like at Uconn. Hurley will be brutally honest with them. I think at least one of them will transfer. This will give us 2 open schollies. Pickings may be slim but I am confident Hurley will find players who fit his style of play.
The pickings are slim now, but there will be good players who decommit and some good grad transfers. Provided there's more than 1 open scholarship left, I wouldn't be opposed to a transfer either.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
talent > filling positional needs. Getting a backup center won't make us relevant again, acquiring talent will. A talented center would be ideal lol

Getting wins is how you become relevant again and goes a long way to recruiting better talent. Not having a backup center, is bound to cost them a number of wins. It's not like there's tons of uncommitted 'talent' left.

Not for nothing but grad transfers and JUCOs can fall under the 'getting talent' label, and they afford you long term planning to land the big fish you're looking for.

The best thing about 5th years is they're only here for 1 year. It's a feature, not a bug.

Reaction Score
I think the big fish in the Grad Transfer market could be Admon Gilder. We just don't have the info right now on his health status (silence speaks volumes). We also don't know who the next coach will be @ A & M. A true wild card and one to watch could be one of college basketball's pure snipers Mr. Admon Gilder. He already tested the NBA waters and missed the entire season. Could a healthy Gilder crack our rotation? I will leave that to the more experienced and savy college basketball talent evaluators here. Will Gilders name surface? Who will be the first to contact him $? A true mystery.

Thank You...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
1. All of those guys are gone, except for decommits.
2. If they can't dribble or jump, they can't play defense, and if they can't play defense they're a waste. Further, most freshmen, no matter how good of shooters they are, shoot pretty poorly their freshmen year. Look at Bazz, for instance. Or Giffey over freshmen/sophomore.

Further, only 45 people in the whole of the NCAA shot 45% from 3 this year. Only 6 of them were freshmen, and only two of those were from a high major.

Even Ray Allen didn't shoot 45% till his Jr year.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Surprised at how many people want 3 point shooters, that is one of our strengths next year. We return our 3 best 3 point shooters and bring in 3 more shooters. IMO, we need both a center and a point guard equally bad. Carlton is the only true center on next years roster and AG is the only true point guard. With AGs health issues I’m not confident in him playing a full season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Your end to paragraph 2 is why we need another 4. EXACTLY WHY!!!

Polley/Sid can fill in in emergencies at the four. That Keeps Carlton at the 4 and guys like Polley/Sid/Bouk at the 3. So we'd have only 1 guy playing out of position (at the 4).

Without a backup up 5, when Carlton is on the bench, We'd have to slide Akok to the four and Polley/Sid to the three. That puts two guys playing out of position on the floor at the same time.

We need a 5.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Surprised at how many people want 3 point shooters, that is one of our strengths next year. We return our 3 best 3 point shooters and bring in 3 more shooters. IMO, we need both a center and a point guard equally bad. Carlton is the only true center on next years roster and AG is the only true point guard. With AGs health issues I’m not confident in him playing a full season.

Agreed. The 5 goes without saying, but people rarely mention the point; we have no backup ball handler for AG. Who's no guarantee. Gaffney is the guy right now, and word is he still needs to work on his handle.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What it looks like Hurley has been trying to do is upgrade the talent(and competition/depth) at ever position. So far for 2019 we have a combo guard, a 2 guard/wing, and a stretch 4. In Hurley’s system that’s a 2,3 and 4. The 2 positions that need to be filled are a point guard and a center. Since we missed on our center prospects he will likely be looking to bring in a grad transfer or JUCO and focus on a 2020 big. As for point guard, there are still a few 2019 point guards still available if we miss on them or don’t think they’re talented enough another grad transfer or bringing on Hunter’s kid in a preferred walk on roll is likely. Scholarships is of no concern we will most certainly have a transfer or two and we still have a spot open. I’ve been keeping my eye on zags and borges on twitter, we’re going to hear something soon on what Hurley’s next move is. Just a hunch here, I think we get involved with Pierre-Louis(the UNLV decommit from Jersey City).

Reaction Score
Polley/Sid can fill in in emergencies at the four. That Keeps Carlton at the 4 and guys like Polley/Sid/Bouk at the 3. So we'd have only 1 guy playing out of position (at the 4).

Without a backup up 5, when Carlton is on the bench, We'd have to slide Akok to the four and Polley/Sid to the three. That puts two guys playing out of position on the floor at the same time.

We need a 5.
Akok is a 4! What made you think he was a 3? Or did you mean slide over to the 5? You also said polley and Sid to the 3. Sid is a three who can’t shoot.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks we need to stack a bunch of big men doesn't understand Hurley's style of basketball. It's about speed, length, transition, etc. NOT throwing it into a big man from a half-court set 10 times a game. He basically said it the other day when talking about Houston. Precious could not possibly fit better into Hurley's preferred style.

Of course, any team needs more than one big man, not saying don't grab one, especially a mobile one. Just talking more long term roster construction, I think we will be a team with a lot of really athletic wings and the offense will NEVER run through the 5.

Unless I misunderstood Kofi's skillset, how did he fit with what you're saying is Hurley's style?

Reaction Score
Staff is all in on an overseas kid who went to a boarding school in England and has since been in Asia. Can play the 2 through 5. Raw around the edges but he can do it all.
The NY Mets also want to sign him because his fastball has been clocked at the highest speed ever. They saw him pitching in the Himalayan League.

That's pretty high praise.

Reaction Score
Is his name Sid Fynch? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Unless I misunderstood Kofi's skillset, how did he fit with what you're saying is Hurley's style?
That's a good point, but I'm just repeating what Hurley has said in interviews and stuff. He wants to play 9 or 10 guys, lots of pressure defense, fast fast fast. Maybe that factored into why Kofi went to a Big 10 school? Wasn't that into adapting to a more run and gun style?

Reaction Score

With 4 out, 1 in, you still need the beefy guy in the middle to control the paint. Cockburn would have been perfect for that.

That allows you to prioritize skill and shooting at the 4, and not tie up another position with someone who can't score outside the paint (sorry Whaley, Diarra).

Reaction Score
The mythical Yeti is a mysterious and unknown creature that has long inhabited the remote and mostly uninhabited Himalayan Mountains, including Mount Everest, in central Asia, including Nepal, Tibet, China, and southern Russia. This almost supernatural and legendary being is an erect bipedal animal that is over six feet tall, weighs between 200 and 400 pounds, is covered with red to gray hair, make a whistling sound, has a bad smell, and is usually nocturnal and secretive.

So either Chevy Troutman or Ontario Lett?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom