Who's coming to Greensboro ... as the #1 Seed (2019) | The Boneyard

Who's coming to Greensboro ... as the #1 Seed (2019)

#1 Seed in Greensboro.... who gets it.

• Baylor

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • Miss State

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Louisville

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Texas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maryland

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Lower Carolina

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other (we name names in 2018-9)

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Right now you can go ahead and pencil in Notre Dame as the #1 Seed in Chicago, UCONN in Albany, and probably Oregon in Portland. That leaves everyone else fighting to be the #1 in Greensboro. So who will I be in the stands rooting against ? :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know if I’m in agreement with your penciled in suggestions beyond ND in Chicago. Oregon could easily be tripped up in the Pac12, and while it would pain me tremendously (I purchased my Albany Regional tickets yesterday), UConn has to navigate 3 tough road games at ND, Baylor & Louisville. To insure a trip to Albany, the Huskies would pretty much have to win 2 out of 3.

Back to Greensboro. I think it comes down to the SEC or the Big 12, likely MS St vs Baylor. In the end, I think Vic Schaefer and the Bulldogs navigate the tougher schedule and end up in Greensboro. MD might end up their as well, but as a 2 or 3 seed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If UCONN isn't the #1 seed in Albany, they will surely be the #2. There is no way the NCAA won't put ND in Chicago, UCONN in Albany and Oregon in Portland.
While the NCAA is certainly conscious of attendance, that is not the primary criteria for where a team ends up. The NCAA circle seeds the top 16 teams. So for instance, If Oregon is the #4 overall seed and UConn the #5 overall seed, Oregon would certainly end up in the Portland region as the #1 seed, but so too would UConn as the #2 seed in the Portland region.

Reaction Score
While the NCAA is certainly conscious of attendance, that is not the primary criteria for where a team ends up. The NCAA circle seeds the top 16 teams. So for instance, If Oregon is the #4 overall seed and UConn the #5 overall seed, Oregon would certainly end up in the Portland region as the #1 seed, but so too would UConn as the #2 seed in the Portland region.

I firmly and 100% disagree with you and you can look at past seedings as proof. But we will just agree to disagree.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I firmly and 100% disagree with you and you can look at past seedings as proof. But we will just agree to disagree.
Hopefully UConn is a top 4 seed, and then we have nothing to disagree about. But if you check past seedings you will see that the NCAA has been circle seeding at least since they expanded the tournament to 64 teams. The one exception to circle seeding is that the NCAA tries to separate top 16 teams from the same conference. So for instance if Oregon was the overall #4 and Stanford the overall #5, Oregon would end up in Portland and Stanford would be sent to another region.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
At this stage, Baylor looks like a solid bet: they return their twin towers (Brown and Cox), have a solid transfer (Chloe Jackson) who can add scoring and stability to the backcourt and four (that's right, four) McDonald's All-Americans in Aquira DeCosta, Queen Egbo, Honest Scott-Greyson and NaLyssa Smith. If just two of them (or Caitlin Bickle) make some contributions, they should be able to plow through the conference, looking good for top shelf for Greensboro.

If Louisville is going to make the same kind of run that it did last year, Sam Fuehring and Kylie Shook are going to have to step up inside to take the place of Myisha Hines-Allen, which is no small feat (and feet, probably). Don't care how much Durr shoots, teams will just push it into the lane until stopped.

Reaction Score
Right now I have the following in regionals. I know it's early, but oh well.....

If the 1 seeds are as follows: ND/Oregon/Baylor/UCONN

Albany:
1. UCONN
2. Mississippi State
3. Maryland
4. DePaul

Greensboro:
1. Baylor
2. Louisville
3. Oregon State/Stanford
4. South Carolina

Chicago:
1. Notre Dame
2.Oregon State/Stanford(whoever is second in the Pac-12)
3. Missouri
4. USF

Portland:
1. Oregon
2. Texas
3.Georgia
4. (B1G 2nd place or ACC 3rd place team)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

There is zero chance UConn won't be in Albany. Zero.

Reaction Score
I need to get my NCAA Tickets for the Portland regional. I suspect it will be a PAC-12 Team getting the #1 seed in Portland, but in no way is Oregon a lock. It could be any of these teams winning the PAC-12: Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, ASU. PAC-12 has a much better out-of-conference schedule this year than in past years, which could work in PAC-12's favor assuming they win most of these OOC games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is zero chance UConn won't be in Albany. Zero.
I certainly hope you’re correct, but we should probably see how the season goes before we start analyzing bracketology for the Big Dance. The point I’ve been making is that if UConn is not one of the top 4 seeds, Albany is not a given.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Five votes for OTHER ?? ....... We name names in 2018 :mad:Head bang

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Couple of things....
1. As other posters have mentioned, I’d bet a LOT of money that UCONN is going to Albany and Oregon or Oregon State (whoever has a better year) will be in Portland. ND very likely in Chicago. UCONN and ND should be locks for #1 seeds, Oregon isn’t.

2. Greensboro is wide open. Guessing SC will be there to help with draw provided they’re a top 4 seed. Teams like Louisville, Mississippi State, and Baylor should be in the mix for #1 in that region.

3. Based on this potential breakdown, it looks like we have a good chance to have much improved attendance compared to this past year, provided the best teams win games they’re supposed to. ND, Oregon, and Connecticut should draw well with good fan bases and playing close to home. Teams like Louisville, SC, and Tennessee should travel well if they are in Greensboro. With the year as wide open as it appears to be, I’m hoping we see a steady bump in attendance.

Reaction Score

No, the committee does not 100% follow the S-curve ('circle seeds').

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, the committee does not 100% follow the S-curve ('circle seeds').
I never said they did. Specifically, I mentioned in another post that the NCAA tries to spread out teams from the same conference into different regions. While there are other considerations as well, the NCAA does try very hard to follow the S curve in order to balance each region.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I never said they did. Specifically, I mentioned in another post that the NCAA tries to spread out teams from the same conference into different regions. While there are other considerations as well, the NCAA does try very hard to follow the S curve in order to balance each region.

Dont get me started :mad:Head bang

Reaction Score
Two of the bigger matchups in determining who gets the #1 seed are Mississippi State vs. Oregon and Texas. I would think that Notre Dame and UConn are locks for #1, but thats just my opinion. I think Oregon has a good shot, but they had some very tight games in that Pac-12 last year (USC 2x, UCLA 3x, Stanford, Oregon St.)

Reaction Score

The committee doesnt "try" spread out conference teams -- it's actually a rule. Teams from the same conference cannot in the top 4 in the same region unless there are more than four teams from that conference in the top 16.
The committee does shoot to have regions balanced by strength. But to say that the #5 overall will be placed with the #4 is a huge oversimplification.

Take this to the bank:
1) UConn will be in Albany
2) ND will be in Chicago
3) Ore, Ore St, or possibly Stanford will be in Portland
* regardless* of seeding

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The committee doesnt "try" spread out conference teams -- it's actually a rule. Teams from the same conference cannot in the top 4 in the same region unless there are more than four teams from that conference in the top 16.
The committee does shoot to have regions balanced by strength. But to say that the #5 overall will be placed with the #4 is a huge oversimplification.

Take this to the bank:
1) UConn will be in Albany
2) ND will be in Chicago
3) Ore, Ore St, or possibly Stanford will be in Portland
* regardless* of seeding
VG, I am in agreement with everything you say, except your last point. When SC, a school that lead the NCAA in home attendance, was sent to the West Coast as a #1 seed 2 years ago, it made no sense from a regional attendance standpoint. But rather than going back and forth on this, let’s at least wait until Charlie Creme does his 1st reveal early next year.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Right now you can go ahead and pencil in Notre Dame as the #1 Seed in Chicago, UCONN in Albany, and probably Oregon in Portland. That leaves everyone else fighting to be the #1 in Greensboro. So who will I be in the stands rooting against ? :cool:
Just for the way you named us, I'm going to the Real Carolina/Duke game at Cameron in December.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom