Who will win the starting qb spot | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who will win the starting qb spot

Who is our starter for the season?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Unless this OLine makes a very big step forward, I think there will be a lot of rollouts and designed QB run option plays. I agree completely with the issues BS had, he doesn't see open guys, or takes too long to progress through those reads.

I don't think he starts, because I really don't think that issue, or his inability to throw on the run, is something he's likely to be able to correct. I assume Pindell was brought in to be the starter, even if RE won't declare one until late summer. Am I the only one who thinks Bryant may not want to start? I'm not questioning his competitiveness, because he has that in spades. But he got married and became a dad, and I thought he'd walk away out of self preservation. Coming back to be a veteran backup that is less likely to be concussed would seem a good fit. But to take that punishment again?
Nobody plays football at this level to practice and stand on the sidelines. I don't think he'd be here if he had any other intentions than to win the starting job. I'd hope the same could be said for every single guy on the team.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
this isn't about the starting QB but I wonder how the staff will handle the young QB's. Theoretically Williams McAfee and Washington all could use redshirt years but its doubtful all 3 RS IMO.

Reaction Score
this isn't about the starting QB but I wonder how the staff will handle the young QB's. Theoretically Williams McAfee and Washington all could use redshirt years but its doubtful all 3 RS IMO.

Pindell isn't coming in to redshirt... so it's quite possible all 3 do (or will be expected to absent catastrophic injuries to QB1 and QB2).

Reaction Score
If you rewatch the games, BS missed a lot of guys who were wide open early or on the other side of the field from his first read. Missed as in didn't see them or held it too long and the window closed. Part of if I'm sure was trust, part protection, but some was on him.

I agree completely with the issues BS had, he doesn't see open guys, or takes too long to progress through those reads.

Interesting comment by Edsall in the Neill Ostrout article I dumped in the Spring Practice Update thread:

>>Wide receiver is where the Huskies have “the most competition on our team,” Edsall said. The coach said he doesn’t want his quarterback to have “a crutch he can lean on” and that the Huskies will spread their passes around in the upcoming season. “We can be better if we have three or four guys in there that we can throw to,” Edsall said.<<

To me (and I could be wrong/be misreading it) that sounds like RE/RL have identified BS tunnel vision tendencies. Need to break the habit of locking on to one receiver (even if the WR can make acrobatic catches @ all ball flight trajectories/angles).

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
All this talk about the deep ball and Auburn ran the ball on 71% of their plays last year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Williams just tore his ACL. It's probably in his interest to redshirt now. The other two can wait to see how things play out. Redshirts are not rewarded until after the season.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Pindell and Sherriffs will be the breadth of the competition. However, I do think that Sherriffs has the leg up because quite simply I don't think he sticks around unless Randy gave him some guarantee of being the 1A going into camp.

Reaction Score
Williams just tore his ACL. It's probably in his interest to redshirt now. The other two can wait to see how things play out. Redshirts are not rewarded until after the season.
Meniscus and ACL are 2 different things I thought, no?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Meniscus and ACL are 2 different things I thought, no?
I stand corrected. I thought Levenberry and Williams both tore their respective ACL's.

That said, I don't think it changes my underlying point. If none of the three play, regardless of what the 2-deep says, redshirts are not awarded until after the season. I recall Peart being 2nd string tackle for all of 2015, while the coaching staff had no intention of playing him.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Because if you can't throw a deep ball, those 71% rushes are much more difficult to execute.

What's your definition of a deep ball?

out of the remaining 29% of passing play calls, what percentage of those should be deep balls to make it less difficult to execute run plays - all of them, right?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What's your definition of a deep ball?

out of the remaining 29% of passing play calls, what percentage of those should be deep balls to make it less difficult to execute run plays - all of them, right?

You don't have to do it often, you just need to be able to do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom