Who will win the starting qb spot | The Boneyard

Who will win the starting qb spot

Who is our starter for the season?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Much too early to determine. Ask again in mid to late August. The competition is going to be wide open.

Reaction Score
you forgot Washington. he's my vote. if not him, Pindell. His tape is the best I've seen for a UConn commit since Cochran.

I am with you JMick. Love Washington on tape. Hope it translates.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Pindell is my first guess and then Washington. It's going to be a guy that Edsall & staff hand picked.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Problem for Sheriffs is he is not an accurate deep ball guy. Whoever can minimize mistakes and throw accurately will be the starter. Tough for a freshman to do it. This gives Pindell the advantage.

Reaction Score
Sheriffs has the edge, but he's 1 knock away from Pindell jumping in and taking over. I don't think RE wants to see the new guys getting in over their heads despite the talent they bring to the table. Just not convinced about Williams yet but everybody deserves a shot from where we ended up last year. The line will determine what these guys can accomplish but I really like Pindell in the short-term. The 2 Frosh we have coming in look good on tape.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Sheriffs.

Although Lashlee didn't call all plays at auburn they ran 71% of the time - I see sheriffs winning the job.

Reaction Score
My vote is Pindell... Obviously was a priority JUCO pick up for us with the new staff in place... Would/Should provide immediate impact at the position with what we're running on O now, better than current QBs on the roster. Will come in with a higher maturity level as well, giving true frosh QB recruits a chance to develop via a redshirt year. I also see Donovan Williams moving to WR...

Reaction Score
There's one major variable that makes this question hard to answer: was the offense at Aurburn actually Lashlee's or will he depart from that now that he's out from Malzahn's shadow? If we see a similar system, it would be hard to see Pindell not starting as it's a fairly simple offense for the QB to run and looks pretty close to the system we see in Pindell's highlights.

Reaction Score
I have no freaking clue who it will be. The only comment that I will make is that I hope our starting QB was not on the roster in 2016. That's not meant to be hard on BS and DW, it's just reality.

Reaction Score
Its all speculation but my guess is that Sheriffs at first will be the starter because he will have all of spring to learn the new offense. Pindell will take over at some point in the season, though, as he becomes more comfortable with the offensive system. The following year one of the freshman will win the job. I'm actually hoping that Donavan Williams beats out Sheriffs by the end of spring practice because that will indicate that there is a much more to his game than we could see in those last 3 games last year.

Reaction Score
No clue how it will work out, but for stability purposes this is what I hope to see. Pindell is good enough to win the starting spot. If he is injured and a back-up needed then that is where Sheriffs value comes into play. If Washington, Williams or McAtee are not head and shoulders over Sheriffs as the first back-up, then play Sheriffs and redshirt the two freshman and Williams. That would give Washington, Williams and McAtee a year of development and 2018 becomes a Pindell (Sr.), Washington (RS Fr), McAtee (RS Fr.) and Williams (RS So) competition.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Welcome to Ask 8-Ball, The Ultimate Online Oracle

upload_2017-3-31_10-9-14.jpeg

Reaction Score
Pindell will be the starter barring an injury. He started at a top JUCO program, he had options...I'm sure he was told that he was being recruited to start. RE's comments about the guys on campus are also a good indicator. I REALLY like Washington's tape but I think he will redshirt.

Reaction Score
If Lashlee chooses: We will be run-heavy and that favors Bryant S.

If HCRE chooses: Zach Frazer

Pindell and Washington are both better runners on tape. I like Shirreffs but he is a straight line hard nosed runner with average speed, they moved him to fullback at NC State and I see why now...he runs like a fullback. The other two are shiftier and faster.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why anyone thinks shirreffs is a better runner than pindell. Pindell and Washington both ran a variation of this offense at their prior schools. They both appear to be much better runners.

Whichever one of them makes the better read and has the better deep ball will win the job.

Reaction Score
Pindell. Remember the last time that Edsall brought in a mobile JUCO QB? Tyler Lorenzen. He started and was successful.

Reaction Score
Pindell and Washington are both better runners on tape. I like Shirreffs but he is a straight line hard nosed runner with average speed, they moved him to fullback at NC State and I see why now...he runs like a fullback. The other two are shiftier and faster.

I agree, but we aren't choosing lol. It will take me some time to have faith in a coaching staff's ability to make the right decision again..........

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We could see a sort of system where Pindell starts and maybe we see BS from time to time in short yardage situations. He was really successful at fighting for a couple of yards and extending drives on 3rd & short. Has the power to break through the first line of attack on defense and get necessary short yardage gains.

Reaction Score
We could see a sort of system where Pindell starts and maybe we see BS from time to time in short yardage situations. He was really successful at fighting for a couple of yards and extending drives on 3rd & short. Has the power to break through the first line of attack on defense and get necessary short yardage gains.

Please no. 2QB systems never work out.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pindell will start. Two of Williams, McAfee & Washington will red shirt in 2017 with the one who doesn't (along with a 2018 QB recruit) redshirting in 2018.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom