Who will win the starting qb spot | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will win the starting qb spot

Who is our starter for the season?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I will say this. With the group of QB's coming in, if we don't have damn near stud type QB, then it's time for the Delaware Wing T.

My goodness do we deserve a star QB.

Reaction Score
I will say this. With the group of QB's coming in, if we don't have damn near stud type QB, then it's time for the Delaware Wing T.

Wishbone. Convert one of the backs to QB.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have no freaking clue who it will be. The only comment that I will make is that I hope our starting QB was not on the roster in 2016. That's not meant to be hard on BS and DW, it's just reality.

Without any inside knowledge, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that BS will be on the two-deep. Not sure if he'll be the starter, but it would have been simple for Edsall and company to let him walk away and save a scholly.

The fact that they asked him back, coupled with the enthusiastic remarks that Bryant has made about the Spring training so far, has me believing that he's feeling good about his two-deep possibilities for whatever that's worth. And you know what? We might feel a heck of a lot better about that considering he will be coached by people who happen to be real coaches... :eek:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If HCRE chooses: Zach Frazer
Frazer's mechanics are horrible and has no touch. I just don't see him stepping up. Maybe if we have a walkon WR step up with a historic season, but a guy like that probably won't get reps until the season's half over anyway.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Seriously, we could have more luck with my wife doing the scouting. It's about dang time we got a break.

Reaction Score
Can't see how we start someone who can't accurately throw the deep ball. Last years two starters were not able to. It is such a limiting factor to the offense when this play is not even possible. I think we see a new face as the one with BS as the two.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Please no. 2QB systems never work out.
I generally agree, but you can't say "never." Rolls must be defined. Chris Leak and Tim Tebow won a National Championship. Just don't call Shirreffs a "wildcat" QB.

Reaction Score
I think Edsall will love Bryant, he's tough and does what he's told. Personally, I'd like to see BS start and have Pindell redshirt (if he can) and start the following year. Not sure Pindell would have any interest.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Edsall will love Bryant, he's tough and does what he's told. Personally, I'd like to see BS start and have Pindell redshirt (if he can) and start the following year. Not sure Pindell would have any interest.

It feels like this would be plan b. BS has a lot of heart and I agree RE will like him. But, he really isn't a great runner and he isn't really accurate. If Pindell isn't better, he would be an ok bridge to another QB. But I think right now the staff is thinking that Pindell is the better option and I would guess he is leading going into the fall. Plus...there can be some continuity going into next year versus BS leaving.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It feels like this would be plan b. BS has a lot of heart and I agree RE will like him. But, he really isn't a great runner and he isn't really accurate. If Pindell isn't better, he would be an ok bridge to another QB. But I think right now the staff is thinking that Pindell is the better option and I would guess he is leading going into the fall. Plus...there can be some continuity going into next year versus BS leaving.
Guessing BS will be the starter at the beginning of the season. I think Edsall and RL will trust his experience and it'll be up to one of the others to prove themselves, maybe one of them will push to take over at some point in the middle third of the season. We'll see.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree that UConn will not have the same 1st string QB all year. I think Shirreffs will initially take the 1st team snaps, but I will not be surprised if he's wearing a headset for the Holy Cross game.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm looking for a positive start to the season and a couple of wins early. If they need to change quarterbacks for any reason other than an injury, it will be disappointing because it will mean we aren't playing well. I'd love to see someone take the job and keep it.

I won't be surprised if Bryant ends up being the starter this year. He was playing injured last year and the coaching staff was totally incompetent. An offense better suited to the talent and a healthy BS is something we haven't seen yet. I'm fairly certain he's a much better quarterback than most people think he is. I'm fine with one of the other guys getting the job, I just think it's unfair to label him a certain way after the circumstances he played through both physically and related to coaching.

Reaction Score
I'm leaning towards Pindell but it's a good feeling to have 5 players that are appear capable to compete and play. I don't think we've ever had an abundance at the position like this before.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Bryant is the starter. I assume Pindell will win the job, and hope he does. The guys behind those two are two freshman, and a kid who should be a RS freshman and wasn't ready. I don't think HCRE was comfortable with those as his only reserve options. I think we'll see two of those three, Washington, McAfee and Williams, redshirting.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if Bryant is the starter. I assume Pindell will win the job, and hope he does. The guys behind those two are two freshman, and a kid who should be a RS freshman and wasn't ready. I don't think HCRE was comfortable with those as his only reserve options. I think we'll see two of those three, Washington, McAfee and Williams, redshirting.
I hope, when Pindell wins this thing, that Shirreffs sticks around, just in case...

Reaction Score
You are asking the wrong question. It should be who will be the key starter and who will be the key backup and of course who will be the key holder on fake fake field goals.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well we know it's not Williams. It would seem to be highly unlikely that it's McAfee or Washington - I get the impression that Edsall wants as immediate of a turnaround as he can get.

So you've got Sherriffs or Pindell. Barring injury to one of them they seem locked into the 1-2 slots on the depth chart for Holy Cross. I'd say that Pindell is the favorite to get the nod with Sherriffs a pretty solid underdog. If you asked me does Bryant Sherriffs start a game at QB for UConn in 2017 - I'd say there is a 75% chance he starts at least one.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Well we know it's not Williams. It would seem to be highly unlikely that it's McAfee or Washington - I get the impression that Edsall wants as immediate of a turnaround as he can get.

So you've got Sherriffs or Pindell. Barring injury to one of them they seem locked into the 1-2 slots on the depth chart for Holy Cross. I'd say that Pindell is the favorite to get the nod with Sherriffs a pretty solid underdog. If you asked me does Bryant Sherriffs start a game at QB for UConn in 2017 - I'd say there is a 75% chance he starts at least one.

And I'd be fine with that. Bryant is a fine quarterback. Not great, but he was far from the reason we were so bad last year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Its strange to see you post something that most of the board has already predicted. Congrats on coming to the same conclusion as the masses and the same conclusion most of us came to on the afternoon of signing day? Yes I am just busting your chops for posting conventional wisdom and not your usual biting edge commentary.

Reaction Score
Continuing a time honored tradition of voting for the QB not on the field .....

Let's please see Pindell, and the rest, actually complete their studies and/or proms and enroll in June before we anoint them the starter.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
RE 1.0 QB law #1: Don't turn the ball over.

RE 2.0 QB law #1: Don't turn the ball over.
RE 2.0 QB law #2: Make good decisions with the ball.

Law #1 will always be the cover charge for seeing the field with Randy. That is a plus for Shirreffs. But, in the past he could rely on running the ball, special teams and defense to win games. He can't exactly do that now. Whoever gets the nod will not only have to hold the ball, but get it to the right person. This doesn't mean just completing passes in 3rd and long. That is the opening for the newcomers.

I still think it's Shirreffs to lose, but one of his issues was decision making whether you put a lot of the blame on the Oline or not.

He won't be able to miss the wide open receivers, hold onto the ball, or pull it down and run like he did last season. If that has become too ingrained a habit, then he won't win the job or we will see the QB carousel spin all season.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

The stats disagree that he isn't accurate. Not deep for sure, but he is on the shorter routes. His big issue is seeing the field and making quick decisions.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Even in the new O, there shouldn't be that many QB runs or rollouts, so that isn't one of my main concerns.

If you rewatch the games, BS missed a lot of guys who were wide open early or on the other side of the field from his first read. Missed as in didn't see them or held it too long and the window closed.

Part of if I'm sure was trust, part protection, but some was on him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Even in the new O, there shouldn't be that many QB runs or rollouts, so that isn't one of my main concerns.

If you rewatch the games, BS missed a lot of guys who were wide open early or on the other side of the field from his first read. Missed as in didn't see them or held it too long and the window closed.

Part of if I'm sure was trust, part protection, but some was on him.

Unless this OLine makes a very big step forward, I think there will be a lot of rollouts and designed QB run option plays. I agree completely with the issues BS had, he doesn't see open guys, or takes too long to progress through those reads.

I don't think he starts, because I really don't think that issue, or his inability to throw on the run, is something he's likely to be able to correct. I assume Pindell was brought in to be the starter, even if RE won't declare one until late summer. Am I the only one who thinks Bryant may not want to start? I'm not questioning his competitiveness, because he has that in spades. But he got married and became a dad, and I thought he'd walk away out of self preservation. Coming back to be a veteran backup that is less likely to be concussed would seem a good fit. But to take that punishment again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom