Who will be the primary backup center for Jana? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the primary backup center for Jana?

Poll - Who will be the primary back up center for Jana?

• Ice

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • Ayanna

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Sarah

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Morgan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • By Committee

Votes: 28 15.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I do believe that Jana will be the starting center and Ice will be the backup 5 especially against the bigger teams that UConn will see out of conference. In the big east you can get by with any one of UConn 4's as the center. My only concern about Yana is that due to her aggressiveness she'll pick up a lot of fouls.

Reaction Score
Brady is being judged on her entire season which was admittedly a mixed performance but I judge her on the 8 playoff games and she was much much better than marginal in those.
I expected Brady to play better last Nov. and I think she needed time to regain trust in her knee. She should have a lot more self-confidence and be much more familiar with the UConn system.

El Alfy may be all you say but she hasn't done it in a UConn uniform and hasn't played much at all against elite players. What El Alfy has going for her is size more typical of a center.

If Chen and Strong start then starting El Alfy would put three 1st year players in the starting lineup.
I don't know that I would call Chen a 1st year player. She played 3 years at Princeton and for a future UConn head coach (maybe). She had big games against power schools. You can argue she's new to UConn, but I would not call her a 1st year player.

Reaction Score
Ask this question again in 2027 when we will have choose between Gandy, Lara and Olivia as Yana’s primary backup.
There's been plenty of dark karma swirling around the team these past few years. But if it's really gone, this shapes up to be the beginning of another dominant stretch, with Jana leading the way for Gandy Lara and Olivia like an eagle teaching the fledglings under her wing, and Paige and Azzi setting the standard for the rest of the team this year so they know how high to aim in future.

I feel a prediction coming on: this is going to be a splendid period for Husky fans!

Reaction Score
Most of what we read and have seen suggest its likely that Jana will start. However, my sense is, given the injury history, that Geno will limit her playing time to 20-25 minutes. So the OP question is quite relevant. While Ice played a lot last year somewhat due to a bench shortage, there will be a competition that gets settled on the practice floor. If KK and PB are on the floor, and given the backcourt depth, Geno will want a seriously up tempo game. Seems to me that favors the very athletic Ayanna and Sarah. Fun to think about.

Reaction Score
And for me, I'd start Jana like Geno started Dolson her freshman year to prepare for where he wanted to go by March. If she picks up fouls and has to sit or has a minute limit at first, so be it. Then there is Ice and Yanna to get minutes....

Reaction Score
I’d love to see Ayanna if she is healthy enough. Ice is taller but seems best situated to play the 4- but if Ayanna can’t go, then Ice it is. Sarah is a 4 too but can play the 3 too.
We never saw the potential Ayanna had in hs in any games she played as a freshman. She never showed any leaping ability that I saw. If she can truly play near the rim, like her video clips showed, then she might be successful as a backup to Jana, but it's a mystery now.

Reaction Score
We never saw the potential Ayanna had in hs in any games she played as a freshman. She never showed any leaping ability that I saw. If she can truly play near the rim, like her video clips showed, then she might be successful as a backup to Jana, but it's a mystery now.
I think it very fair to say that she has had some pretty good hop's! In this vid she is two handed dunking the ball, with ease...

Reaction Score
When was this?
Looks like she played for Team USA in FIBA U18 International tournaments (3 of them) during the Summer of 2021. So, I guess that would be between her senior year of high school and freshman year at UConn. Very similar to the way Sarah is just returning from play and similar to Sarah's team's results, Ayanna's team also won the Gold Medal in the 3x3 World Cup in Hungary, Aug 7 to 15, 2021. Ayanna was ESPN's #3 rated high school player that year and Ice Brady was #5, both started UConn that fall semester.

Reaction Score
Brady is being judged on her entire season which was admittedly a mixed performance but I judge her on the 8 playoff games and she was much much better than marginal in those.
I expected Brady to play better last Nov. and I think she needed time to regain trust in her knee. She should have a lot more self-confidence and be much more familiar with the UConn system.

El Alfy may be all you say but she hasn't done it in a UConn uniform and hasn't played much at all against elite players. What El Alfy has going for her is size more typical of a center.

If Chen and Strong start then starting El Alfy would put three 1st year players in the starting lineup.
I agree with you totally regarding Brady and Jana. Brady's effort, confidence and abilities displayed during the playoffs was like night and day over the rest of last season. I can't help but believe that she will be at least as good as she was in the playoffs and hopefully improved upon that. If true, she's going to get a lot of minutes, and I think she will start along side Jana. We don't know what Jana will be like in a UConn uniform, so I am willing to trust in Geno. He says she's great (that not a quote). Ayanna is an unknown factor for me. She showed little while wearing a UConn uniform. So I expect Strong and Aubrey to spell those two. Paige will of course be in the starting lineup along with Ash and Chen. KK will get plenty of minutes spelling all three of them. Unless or until our other injured warriors Azzi and Caroline are 100% healthy. Then that changes everything! And we have a couple of other highly touted freshmen Morgan and Allie. Who knows what they might do when given an opportunity. Then there's Q. I had high hopes for her, but little by little you could see her loosing confidence throughout the season. She lost her shooting touch and it effected her play. But she seemed to be working hard on defense when she was in there. Problem is, when everyone else who plays your position is playing well, there's nothing to fix so it's odd woman out so-to-speak. I just can't wait for the season to begin. There are so many questions to be answered, and if the answers are positive ... we're gonna have one heck of a great season.

Reaction Score
Then there's Q. I had high hopes for her, but little by little you could see her loosing confidence throughout the season. She lost her shooting touch and it effected her play. But she seemed to be working hard on defense when she was in there.
I think you're right that Q has a steep hill to climb to get minutes. I'm pulling for her. She got an interesting skill set. I think of her as part of a trio of related players -- her, Aubrey and Ayanna. They all run the court well, have long arms and are quite athletic. Aubrey is the quickest, Ayanna is the strongest, and Q is the best shooter among them. Right now, Aubrey is her main competition, since she already knows how to perform miracles as a defender, a rebounder and a transition sprinter. Q finishes really well on the break and she already rebounds well. If she can put it all together this season, she'll have positioned herself really well for her junior year. Ayanna isn't really Q's natural competition, but she's really quick for a big -- quicker than Aaliyah, and just as strong -- and could end up playing a role in the fast break offense. That would encroach on what I expect will be Q's natural role.

Jana's front court partners -- I like that term better than backup which seems too rigid to me -- are clearly going to be Ice and Sarah, but Ayanna will end up in that rotation too. And when Geno runs the 4-guard set we saw last season, it could even be Aubrey, Q or Morgan. But mostly it will be Ice, Sarah and Ayanna. We haven't seen a lot of Ayanna, but there were a few promising glimpses. Recall the Iowa game two season's ago: Dorka and Ice were injured and the front court was only Aaliyah and Ayanna, and they took care of Czinano between them. Ayanna only played like 10 mins or maybe less, but she held her own against a seasoned, very strong veteran center at the top of her game.

Reaction Score
Ice wins this somewhat by default, since there are only two C's on the roster. Since she didn't light the world on fire her first year, there are some questions about whether Geno should use the only other C as a backup, or use a PF there instead like Sarah or Ayanna. I think that means the bar is pretty low for Ice when the season starts, it is pretty much her job to lose, but when Aubrey comes back, or if Ayanna has a breakout year, that could change.

Aubrey at the 4 and Sarah at the 5, for example might be an attractive combo when Jana is not in the game.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't say Chen is a 1st year player. She is 1st year UConn and Geno, but being a grad student--she has soooo much NCAA experience.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Ask this question again in 2027 when we will have choose between Gandy, Lara and Olivia as Yana’s primary backup.
Yeah, right. Olivia and Lara aren't in the fold as yet, so lets just concentrate on what we do have. The future is the future, so as of now I'm hoping that Ayanna is well enough to play, and she would be the first option to back up Jana. Sarah and Ice would be each other's back up except when Geno may want to play them together in one of his line up options. A healthy Ayanna would be a bonus for the team, just as the comeback of Caroline would be.

Reaction Score
Chen is an experienced veteran who has played multiple competitive teams and excelled, one of them being UCLA, which is incredibly surprising because of Chen's major height disadvantage. Nonetheless, she scored 20 on them. It's her first year in the Geno system, but the Berube system is reportedly heavily influenced by his.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Chen is an experienced veteran who has played multiple competitive teams and excelled, one of them being UCLA, which is incredibly surprising because of Chen's major height disadvantage. Nonetheless, she scored 20 on them. It's her first year in the Geno system, but the Berube system is reportedly heavily influenced by his.
Kaitlyn's height is inconsequential because she's shifty. She can change direction quickly and after establishing that, effectively uses her jab step to fake out the defender. Nice elevation on her shots and smart use of screens, too.

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn's height is inconsequential because she's shifty. She can change direction quickly and after establishing that, effectively uses her jab step to fake out the defender. Nice elevation on her shots and smart use of screens, too.

I was gonna note her agility far surpasses any defense thrown at her. Even if she's small, she's crafty enough to get around significantly taller defenders.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was gonna note her agility far surpasses any defense thrown at her. Even if she's small, she's crafty enough to get around significantly taller defenders.
You'd expect a woman that went to Princeton to be a smart player on the court and Kaitlyn appears to be exactly that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom