Who will be next on the Wall? Who has the next retired number? | The Boneyard

Who will be next on the Wall? Who has the next retired number?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The 2013-2014 team had six future wallers: Dolson, Hartley, KML, Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck.
The 2014-2015 team had six future wallers: KML, Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck, Nurse and Gabby Williams.
The 2015-2016 team had seven future wallers: Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck, Nurse, Williams, Collier and Samuelson
The 2016-2018 teams had four future wallers: Nurse, Williams, Collier, and Samuelson.
the 2018-2019 team has two wallers to date: Collier and Samuelson.

Who is the next waller? Is she currently on this team? An optimistic look at the future.

Who will follow Lobo's number 50? #10? #3? A nostalgic look at the past.

Reaction Score
I see Williams as a future "waller" aka All-American. I think that Dangerfield is an AA caliber player, but her stats aren't as flashy as Sabrina's or other PGs like maybe say Carter's. I would pick Dangerfield over anyone not Ionescu, but I feel like she is slighted when it comes to the AA teams.

Walker and ONO can be up there, considering that they are being coached by Geno and have a lot of potential.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next waller:

Crystal next year. I think we will have between 0 and 3 All-Americans next year. My best guess is 1 or 2. Crystal is likely, but I'm not sure whether Megan or Christyn is more likely. I think Liv also has AA potential.

Next retired number:

Tough one! Does Jen's coaching add enough to her resume? Was Sveta successful enough as a pro? I think Sue and Diana are first ballot selections. But Swin may be HOF worthy as well. And she's already retired.

Reaction Score
Predicting is fun. You either are correct or you miss the target. So I suppose that everyone has a 50-50 chance which is not bad odds for the effort. If you are correct, then you are the guru of the future. If not, nobody will remember anyway.
So, I predict that if Crystal does not make All American this year, she will not make it next year. C. Williams: don't know. Perhaps if they recruit a couple of 8 footers to help win, then she will be on an extra ordinary team.

So, are predictions like opinions? Well, you know what opinions are like don't you. They are like sphincters. Everyone has one, perhaps.

Reaction Score
Retired number -- If the standard is Naismith - and it should be - then you wait for DT and Sue.

Then who knows. However, I would accept an argument that Rebecca should stand alone.

If they turn it into something like the graveyard they keep in left center of Yankee stadium it’ll be lots more -

They’ll run out of wall space for the AA’s. - that standard is already established

Currently there are 19 in Springfield -- and there are only 7 on the review committee for nominations -- plus the voting is secret --- a very high standard

No low standards here -- remember - even perennial AS Nykesha was kept off the WNBA's all decade team.

Nineteen player inductees are women: Lusia Harris-Stewart (1992), Nera D. White (1992), Ann E. Meyers (1993), Uļjana Semjonova (1993), Carol A. Blazejowski (1994), Anne T. Donovan (1994), Cheryl Miller (1995), Nancy I. Lieberman (1996), Joan Crawford (1997), Denise M. Curry (1997), Lynette Woodard (2004), Hortência de Fatima Marcari (2005), Cynthia Cooper-Dyke (2010), Teresa Edwards (2011), Katrina McClain Johnson (2012), Dawn Staley (2013), Lisa Leslie (2015), Sheryl Swoopes (2016)[4] and Lobo (2017). Among these, Lieberman, Woodard, Cooper-Dyke, Edwards, Staley, Leslie, Swoopes and Lobo have played in the Women's National Basketball Association.[6][4][83][84][85][86][87] Harris-Stewart is the only female drafted by an NBA team,[88] while Meyers is the only one to have been signed by an NBA team.[89]

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Meg and Eric said that anyone inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame will have her number retired. Pretty specific criterion

I heard the same thing. Based on that, there only 2 potential candidates right now - Sue Bird and Diana. And please notice I said potential candidates.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I heard the same thing. Based on that, there only 2 potential candidates right now - Sue Bird and Diana. And please notice I said potential candidates.

Is their any doubt Sue and Diana will make the Naismith Hall of Fame ?? :confused::confused::eek::eek:

and Maya and Stewie will ultimately join them. (although a small doubt for Maya may be the affects of her shortening her career ?)

Reaction Score
So hypothetically if DT's number 3 had been retired this weekend, would Megan have to change numbers for the USF game and all games for the rest of her career?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that Crystal makes the WOH, because next year, as Crystal goes, so go the Huskies.

As for retired numbers, clearly Sue, DT, Maya & Stewie are destined for Springfield. Maya appears to have a new calling, and may be the next UConn great to retire. If that’s the case, then 23 will be the next number to be retired.

Reaction Score
Naismith is tough----its a thin list and it looks like they'll pick 1 or 2 a year, at least for players....reality is the WNBA is a rather small league, and you have to leave some room for internationals, gold medals, conrtibutors, coaches, etc

Lauren Jackson may be next from the Leslie, Swoopes years, Dawn went in before the two of them.....maybe.....if not, then its a few more years to Dianna

DT is a lock, then Bird

Then you got Candace, Maya

Can't talk Stewie for 10 yrs

Only 7 people on that review committee for women -----one person can keep somebody off for a loooong time

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has attracted more than its' share of Hall of Fame level players, Looking forward 200 years or so, if this trend continues, Uconn players will have to put names on their uniforms because there will be no numbers left.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that Crystal makes the WOH, because next year, as Crystal goes, so go the Huskies.

As for retired numbers, clearly Sue, DT, Maya & Stewie are destined for Springfield. Maya appears to have a new calling, and may be the next UConn great to retire. If that’s the case, then 23 will be the next number to be retired.
Simply retiring from basketball will not make Maya’s number eligible for retirement. She would have to be inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think both Maya Moore and Tina Charles have pretty good resume's given their collegiate, Olympic, International/WNBA pro careers that both will also be inducted into the Naismith HOF. That means 4.

From an All-America perspective, Chrystal Dangerfield, Crystal Dangerfield WILL BE an AA next year. She's played at an elite level this year but is overshadowed by Pheesa/KLS and Ionescu as the pre-eminent PG this year. That all changes next year.
As @MilfordHusky aluded to, don't sleep on Megan Walker given her emergence this year as a glimpse of what we will need next year.

Respectfully, DefenseBB

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow, Dr. Swintayla Marie Cash gets no love here. Swin is a 3-time WNBA champion, is a multiple-time gold medalist, and was ranked in the top 10-15 of several WNBA career categories when she retired. She was also a key member of arguably the greatest WCBB team of all time. I think her resume is definitely worthy of Naismith consideration. I'd definitely put her above Ruth Riley.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Simply retiring from basketball will not make Maya’s number eligible for retirement. She would have to be inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame
You miss my point. The HOF does not consider players until their playing days are over, so the next number to be retired by UConn will be the next player enshrined in Springfield. I am certain that Maya is one of four former Huskies who have a spot waiting for them in Springfield, and that Maya could in fact be the first of those 4 to retire from basketball.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The 2013-2014 team had six future wallers: Dolson, Hartley, KML, Jefferson, Stewart and Tuck.
The 2014-2015 team had six future wallers: KML, Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck, Nurse and Gabby Williams.
The 2015-2016 team had seven future wallers: Jefferson, Stewart, Tuck, Nurse, Williams, Collier and Samuelson
The 2016-2018 teams had four future wallers: Nurse, Williams, Collier, and Samuelson.

Who is the next waller? Is she currently on this team? An optimistic look at the future.

Since being in the Naismith HOF is a prerequisite for consideration for having one’s number retired, it makes sense that the next player would be one that is retired or close to it (Taurasi & Bird). Both should be “no brainers” for the hall. Stewie should be a lock, but that ship won’t sail for at least another 25 years. Lobo is 45 (Oct 1973). I assume that Dee and Sue should be around that age when they are considered for enshrinement in Naismith’s hall. UConn should quickly follow with number retirement plans soon after.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I could see Dangerfield, Walker, Williams and ONO all making it up there at some point in their career.

Like after the Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck class left, the remaining player are going to have to put up some good numbers next year. Like KLS and Collier did, they will get plenty of minutes.

I would expect Dangerfield and either Walker or Williams to be AA next year.
Bird or DT, whoever retires first. But that's still a ways away. They'll probably play a couple more years, then it is at least 4 years before they can be inducted. Then you have to wait for UCONN to do it. So probably 7-8 years away (minimum). Geno may not be around for that.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple to be added to the WOH. Must be a 1st team AA on one of the designated AA teams; that is likely not going to change in the future. The thought with the criteria is that it is objective with no subjectivity as an added ingredient. If it remains that way, CDanger has this year and next year to "make it".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom