Who starts at Power Forward? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who starts at Power Forward?

Reaction Score
jesus, the '4' has been a question mark for us three out of the last four years (thanks shonn!) really wish we could just lock someone down

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I expect that we’ll return to being a normal basketball team where we don’t put little people at positions where other teams play big people.

Diarra will likely start. Yakwe and Whaley should see time behind him.

I don’t see Wilson at 175 pounds or Polley at 185 seeing any significant time at power forward.

I say we go small ball. We can call it the "Hampton Inn Five."

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Vital is not coming off the bench. Feel free to old take expose me here.
He'll play plenty off the bench. But I think we start the games in a traditional lineup, with guys like Vital/Smith coming in early for different reasons.

EDIT: This is also a good problem to have.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Hopefully it'll be Diarra, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Yakwe to start IF Coach Hurley feels that Diarra hasn't made the adequate progress yet. Or maybe a Polley/Whaley if they make huge progress over the next several months.
But yeah, it's probably Diarra's spot to lose.

Someone here suggested it could be KW, which I see about no chance of happening. Hurley even said something along the lines of "We are still trying to figure out where Kwintin fits in".

Reaction Score
CAn Yakwe shoot at all? Whaley showed decent touch at times.

We can’t start 4 guys who can’t shoot.

Wilson and Polley should put on 10-15 pounds by the time the season starts.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hopefully it'll be Diarra, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Yakwe to start IF Coach Hurley feels that Diarra hasn't made the adequate progress yet. Or maybe a Polley/Whaley if they make huge progress over the next several months.
But yeah, it's probably Diarra's spot to lose.

Someone here suggested it could be KW, which I see about no chance of happening. Hurley even said something along the lines of "We are still trying to figure out where Kwintin fits in".

People are sympathetic to KW because the previous HC didn't like playing him. He showed enough during garbage time last year to convince me that with proper coaching, he is definitely capable of playing rotation minutes (i.e. 8-10 per game). Anything beyond that is residual anger at Ollie.

FWIW, my gut say it's Diarra's job to lose.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
People are sympathetic to KW because the previous HC didn't like playing him. He showed enough during garbage time last year to convince me that with proper coaching, he is definitely capable of playing rotation minutes (i.e. 8-10 per game). Anything beyond that is residual anger at Ollie.

I love the energy KW brought off the bench (7 points 7 boards in garbage time against Wichita or someone if I remember correctly?). He certainly should get more love than KO gave him, but it feels like the proper role for him on a good team is an energy guy off the bench if someone is slacking.
If he's one of our starting bigs, I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
KW can leappt the rafetrs so could be a force. However, I don't think his feet ever left the floor last year, so ...

Reaction Score
He'll play plenty off the bench. But I think we start the games in a traditional lineup, with guys like Vital/Smith coming in early for different reasons.

Ehh I don't see that happening. Vital is our best and only shooter so keeping him on the bench to start games makes no sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Williams is a six-year project on a four-year scholarship.

There’ll be some games where his effort is enough to help and there’s some games where he’ll look like he’s an intramural player.

He’s upside to the plan. Anything we get from him is a bonus.

Reaction Score
Williams is a six-year project on a four-year scholarship.
Three year scholarship. Which makes the odds of ultimately getting anything of value out of him even lower.

Reaction Score
Three year scholarship. Which makes the odds of ultimately getting anything of value out of him even lower.
We have the right coach to get the most out of him. Hurley has historically built his teams by molding talent. KW has tons of athleticism. If he buys in I think he can be a very solid contributor by his senior year.

Reaction Score
PG: Adams
SG: Vital
SF: Wilson
PF: Diarra
C: Cobb

Gilbert, Carlton, Yakwe, Polley, Smith, Whaley off the bench in that order. I see Kwintin being an energy guy who sees a couple minutes a game. Brendan Adams I see being a good 4 year guy but not a main contributor this year.

Also think we’re seriously underestimating this team. A lot of people are saying we’re a fringe tournament team. This team has the talent to go second week if coached well. We’ve learned to hold expectations in check the past few seasons but that changes now.

Reaction Score

Gilbert, Carlton, Yakwe, Polley, Smith, Whaley off the bench in that order. I see Kwintin being an energy guy who sees a couple minutes a game. Brendan Adams I see being a good 4 year guy but not a main contributor this year.

Also think we’re seriously underestimating this team. A lot of people are saying we’re a fringe tournament team. This team has the talent to go second week if coached well. We’ve learned to hold expectations in check the past few seasons but that changes now.

I love your enthusiasm and if you are right, I will be thrilled. The roster is full of unproven guys with potential. That makes it exciting. But there are enough question marks that I think bubble team is about right. I would take that as significant progress.

Reaction Score

OK I'll bite. Who besides Jalen Adams and an if healthy Gilbert would you see starting on a second weekend "team X" aka doesn't say UCONN on the jersey?

I want you to be right. I don't see it as close. Hurley can only do so much with the base talent level.

Reaction Score
OK I'll bite. Who besides Jalen Adams and an if healthy Gilbert would you see starting on a second weekend "team X" aka doesn't say UCONN on the jersey?

I want you to be right. I don't see it as close. Hurley can only do so much with the base talent level.

Here’s the problem. We’ve learned to hold expectations in check for our players due to their noticeable lack of development. With a coach who will now get the most out of the talent on the roster, that changes. Adams, Vital, Gilbert, and Smith is a top 15 backcourt in the country. Sid I’ve seen play against some of the best high school talent and he is nasty. Polley will give us some solid shooting backing him up. Diarra, Yakwe, and Carlton are all serviceable down low. Throw in the potential of Williams, Whaley, and Cobb and you have a respectable front court. I understand where you’re coming from. These guys are unproven but for a reason. They weren’t getting the most of their talent. This new era that is going to change. I’d be truly shocked if this is not a sure fire tournament team come March.

Reaction Score
The traditional PF is really not what we are looking for
If you want to take advantage of having one if not two of the best guards in the country
You want to spread the floor forcing defenders as far away from the paint as possible. Running motion against a packed zone is a waste of time.
My understanding is Wilson can shoot We know Polley can shoot also
Hurley claims Diarra can shoot. If the latter is true it’s case closed , Polly/Wilson share time at the three also that’s less three guard required to gin up the offense.
I see Yakwe as a backup five. And I see him and maybe Whaley on the floor if we are pressing . If we’re pressing and getting turnovers sets are unimportant
But picking up missed gambles on D is huge. Plus as a last resort fouls against those guys keep your offensive bigs out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score

When was the last time ANY returning college basketball player who averaged 15 ppg didnt start the following season? I would be shocked if there are any.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom