Who starts at Power Forward? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who starts at Power Forward?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Vital is not coming off the bench. Feel free to old take expose me here.

I think Hurley would probably like to use him off the bench. But much of that depends on Sid. Sid would have to be real good real fast to keep CV from starting. Especially early in season.

Reaction Score
When was the last time ANY returning college basketball player who averaged 15 ppg didnt start the following season? I would be shocked if there are any.

The ones that shot 31% from three and 36% from the field. His percetanges were awful so doesn't matter what he averaged on a bad bad team. He was coming off the bench when Gilbert was healthy. I expect the same this year, if Gilbert is healthy.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Whaley has tremendous upside on the defensive end of things. Should he develop even the most basic of offensive skills he could be a huge asset for us.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams will be counted on to help carry the team....points are needed.

I am sure that Hurley will play a three guard line up a lot....ball handlers and play makers.

As a casual observer last year, I will be watching for several things...

....the play of Yakwe. The absence last year of a good big man at post jumped out at me.

....the development of a sniper who can be relied upon to hit from outside.

Reaction Score
As much as I l have liked a big man at post...I think that Hurley will be playing a lot of three guard-two power forward lineups.

Maybe basketball is moving that way....fewer very talented, very quick 7 footers around.

Hurley's teams may be at their best when he plays a line-up of two forwards and three guards with each player offering versatility in their skill sets. Maybe basketball is trending where true centers and burly, low post operating power forwards are marginalized as teams stretch defenses with more perimeter-oriented play.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think Hurley would probably like to use him off the bench. But much of that depends on Sid. Sid would have to be real good real fast to keep CV from starting. Especially early in season.
Sid really needs to gain some weight.

Reaction Score
When was the last time ANY returning college basketball player who averaged 15 ppg didnt start the following season? I would be shocked if there are any.

I'm not sure, but guys whose coach got fired would probably be at the top of that list.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure, but guys whose coach got fired would probably be at the top of that list.

I am just saying it would be highly unusual for him not to start, despite the shot selection issue. I think Adams is the 1 this year with Vital at the 2. When Gilbert comes in, Adams moves to the 2. Nicey nice.

Reaction Score
Vital is starting, it’s not even a question. He may be a captain too

pj

Reaction Score
Vital is starting, it’s not even a question. He may be a captain too

It's certainly a question. When you're competing with three new players -- McD AA, A10 6th player of the year, and possibly Sid, a top 100 recruit -- for your starting spot, you have to win your spot in competition. 15 ppg is not impressive when it's low efficiency (38% fg%). Tarin Smith's 12.4 points in fewer minutes on 41.4% shooting with 3.0 rebounds/3.2 assists vs 5.4 rebounds / 1.7 assists for Christian looks very comparable.

Reaction Score
Why the focus on who starts? Thread should be ‘who plays most minutes at power forward” . It’s not necessarily the starter.

Reaction Score
Why the focus on who starts? Thread should be ‘who plays most minutes at power forward” . It’s not necessarily the starter.
In 99% of the cases aren't those one in the same?

Reaction Score
This team has the right mix of depth and lack of definite talent where they should be matchup dependent. To me, Adams and Gilbert are the only surefire starters for every game. Even at full strength, Vital, Polley, Wilson, Whaley, Diarra, Yakwe and Carlton will all likely get a chance to start, depending on matchups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom