Who starts at Power Forward? | The Boneyard

Who starts at Power Forward?

Reaction Score
Wondering who will start at power forward. The rest of the starting lineup will likely be Adams, Vital, Wilson and Carlton, I am guessing. The "4" seems to be up for grabs with MD, Cobb, Whaley, Yakwe, Polley and KW all in the mix. My guess is Mamadou, but Cobb could surprise us if he gets in great shape. Polley strikes me as way more of a wing. It will be interesting to see this play out.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Polley. My dark horse is KW.

Reaction Score
Knowing how Hurley likes to go with small lineups I think either we go with 3 guards and either Polley/Diarra/Wilson at PF or if we play with only 2 guards I see Wilson at SF and either of Polley/Diarra at power foward. No way we see Cobb and Carlton together as we would have two big guys with suspect speed. I just don’t see that in the way Hurley likes to play uptempo.

Reaction Score
Up for grabs but with Wilson as a scoring threat Hurley may be able to have Diarra in the starting line up over Polley.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Whaley should be the guy. But i'm not sure how he's gonna fit with Hurley's system.

I agree with the post above that we'll see alot of Wilson and Polley at the 4.

Reaction Score
honestly, any line up is premature...we have no idea who is in the mix ...besides Jalen and Carlton. Wilson hasn't played a minute yet,Cobb is on the rise,Gilbert ? Anyone could be the 4, ..Chemistry,chemistry,chemistry..defense,defense defense...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I expect that we’ll return to being a normal basketball team where we don’t put little people at positions where other teams play big people.

Diarra will likely start. Yakwe and Whaley should see time behind him.

I don’t see Wilson at 175 pounds or Polley at 185 seeing any significant time at power forward.

Reaction Score
honestly, any line up is premature...we have no idea who is in the mix ...besides Jalen and Carlton. Wilson hasn't played a minute yet,Cobb is on the rise,Gilbert ? Anyone could be the 4, ..Chemistry,chemistry,chemistry..defense,defense defense...
So who starts at the 4? :)

Reaction Score
Diarra definitely has the inside track. Hurley wants him to be a beast/enforcer on the boards and has said his shot is better than many think.

Reaction Score
I would say depends on who shows the most toughness in practice will start the 4. I would bet Diarra. I don't think Wilson will play the 4 much as Hurley has said over and over how thin he is and needs to play tougher. Polley will if he puts on the weight Hurley stated he wanted.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Gilbert
JA
CV
Diarra,Yakwe
Carlton

But then again it’ll be interesting since Hurley will play pressure man, and Carlton and Yakwe won’t be able to do that. So only one can be on the floor at a time.

Reaction Score
It should be Diarra, but up to this point Kwintin seems to have the better motor and better rebounding skills. I haven't seen yakwe play, but he's likely in that group. I don't know where Whaley fits on this team. Polley and Sid will rotate at the 3. Carlton seems like the clear cut starter at 5.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

so.....Whaley?

Reaction Score
Based on Hurley's comments at the happy hour, I feel like it's going to be Diarra (or at least, Hurley wants it to be Diarra): "We need Mamadou to be a butt kicker. He needs to become a beast out there and I haven't seen that on film and I was giving him a hard time today about that. You know he's got to be like an enforcer type. He's got to do some of the things that [Kevin Freeman] did in terms of being an undersized guy that's pretty athletic, that's a warrior and he's a little bit better shooter than you think so he may be like an undersized 4 man that if you see him stepping out and making some shots this year don't be surprised. But he's gotta battle and become a rebounder and a tough guy out there."

Reaction Score
Diarra definitely has the inside track. Hurley wants him to be a beast/enforcer on the boards and has said his shot is better than many think.
Had MD taken any shots outside of 3 ft from the basket last season

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Gilbert
JA
CV
Diarra,Yakwe
Carlton

But then again it’ll be interesting since Hurley will play pressure man, and Carlton and Yakwe won’t be able to do that. So only one can be on the floor at a time.

I agree with this except I’m uncertain about Gilbert “ starting “. If he does start that must
Absolutely mean that his shoulder has recovered fully and has a low chance of re-jury.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Diarra and Yawke, depending on how much Yawke ends up playing at the 5 spot. Hoping Wilson and Polley see zero minutes at the 4 (and plenty at the 3).

Reaction Score
It should be Diarra, but up to this point Kwintin seems to have the better motor and better rebounding skills. I haven't seen yakwe play, but he's likely in that group. I don't know where Whaley fits on this team. Polley and Sid will rotate at the 3. Carlton seems like the clear cut starter at 5.
Kwintin could end up getting spot duty only. The kid plays hard but has trouble staying in front of his man although he does have good rebounding skills and instincts. It is possible he could be coached up because the his greatest asset is desire.

Reaction Score
I think Diarra and Yawke, depending on how much Yawke ends up playing at the 5 spot. Hoping Wilson and Polley see zero minutes at the 4 (and plenty at the 3).

Agree. If you take Hurley's comment that a 10-11 man rotation is possible -- and squeeze every nuance out of his individual player assessments -- then it appears that Whaley and Kwintin are the current odd men out. That leaves Diarra and Yakwe battling for the 4. That said, I think that both Whaley and Kwintin will rise in Hurley's esteem when they begin to show their engines in practice.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom