Who sits when Azzi comes back and why? | The Boneyard

Who sits when Azzi comes back and why?

Reaction Score
I see a lot of comments about how much better the team will be once Azzi returns. She is an incredible shooter and that helps on offense but who will she replace and how will that impact the defense?

Reaction Score
I say no one sits. The starting 5 have proved they can come out and take control. She comes off the bench and rotates between giving Lou and Nika a blow. Caroline is able to spell Aubrey and then also allows Aubrey to give the bigs a break when they are both in. Azzi and Caroline can easily fix the 2nd quarter issues.....

Reaction Score
I’d bet that Geno will handle this the same way he did paige’s return last year. Azzi will come off the bench until she is off any sort of mins restriction. Once that happens, AG will come off the bench but will still get about 20 mins a game atleast with very liberal rotation of the guards and forwards so everyone is getting quality rest.

Reaction Score
I say no one sits. The starting 5 have proved they can come out and take control. She comes off the bench and rotates between giving Lou and Nika a blow. Caroline is able to spell Aubrey and then also allows Aubrey to give the bigs a break when they are both in. Azzi and Caroline can easily fix the 2nd quarter issues.....
I think DEpup is right on how it will work out short term. The most important thing is the extra skilled bodies to keep minutes reasonable and fouls less of an issue.

At some point, if not this year then next, Azzi will be a starter. She's an AA quality player and they don't grow on trees. If she can get healthy CD will be a 25+ minute player, whether off the bench or not.

JBK

Reaction Score
I see a lot of comments about how much better the team will be once Azzi returns. She is an incredible shooter and that helps on offense but who will she replace and how will that impact the defense?
Don’t worry about replacement and think minutes.
She will add 20 amazing minutes when she returns.
Also. Do not cut her short. She has a pull up and the ability to penetrate and play defense.

Reaction Score
Having FOUR players that can create and shoot off the dribble is a great proposition.
This is the core that Geno has been working toward.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think the current starting 5 have a rhythm that Geno won’t want to disturb. He’s also shown a reluctance to move upperclassmen to the bench for a younger player when there’s no clear benefit, and by this I mean Lou. Geno also loves to bring an impact player off the bench when the opponent’s defense settles in, around 5 minutes in. But we shall see

Reaction Score
I think the current starting 5 have a rhythm that Geno won’t want to disturb. He’s also shown a reluctance to move upperclassmen to the bench for a younger player when there’s no clear benefit, and by this I mean Lou. Geno also loves to bring an impact player off the bench when the opponent’s defense settles in, around 5 minutes in. But we shall see
That's what I've been saying. Why disturb the chemistry these five have developed just to have everyone get used to yet another lineup?

Reaction Score
Azzi could play 30 minutes coming off the bench. Move people in and out. When McHale was 6th man, he got minutes. The hot-hand gets more minutes. How about Havlicek? Did he get any minutes? How about crunch time minutes? Who gets those? The players that are playing the best.
Azzi off the bench. 1st sub.

Reaction Score
Azzi can come off the bench. The starting 5 have earned it for rest of the season. I don't think we get a fully healthy fudd or Caroline the rest of the way. We need to recruit bigs that rebound and can contribute alot sooner.

Reaction Score
Why would you look at it as "replacing" which has such a negative connotation. Azzi will only be adding to the team. She will help give Nika and Lou breathers. Azzi is not the best perimeter defender (personally i give that to aubrey). However, Azzi doesn't need to be "the best". She needs to be damned good, which is is. She is a big guard and a good defensive rebounding guard. And she will open up the pain on the offensive end which is invaluable.

Coached say time and again that once you get to the elite 8/final 4 ALL teams play good defense. you have to be able to score in the presence of good defense to win it all. You know what Muffets first advice to Megan Duffy was? "you need to be able to score against them (UConn)." The top teams all have great defense (SC, Stanford, UConn). Azzi will be a good defender, and a GREAT offensive threat. That is not "replacing" anything, only adding to the team making us stronger.

Reaction Score
No one .. let her come off the bench .. getting awful late in the season to start playing with lineups again ..

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's not put the cart before the horse.

We have no idea if and when Caroline and Azzi will return to the line up. We can have this discussion when it is announced both will return.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What, no love for Caroline?????????

Reaction Score
Azzi can come off the bench. The starting 5 have earned it for rest of the season. I don't think we get a fully healthy fudd or Caroline the rest of the way. We need to recruit bigs that rebound and can contribute alot sooner.
That's Ice.....

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
They will both go through the limited minute protocol...7-10 minutes in the first half and 7-10 minutes in the second half. Azzi and Caroline will come off the bench for the rest of the season. If she gets a start it will only be if one of the current starters is a no go or can only play limited minutes. Truth be told both Azzi and Caroline's injuries were very untimely...not, that any injury is timely. But, it gave this starting five plenty of time to build their team chemistry...this staring five likes each other, they trust each other...they have earned the right to be on the floor.

With that being said both Azzi and Caroline have a skill set that is much needed for UConn to be successful in the post season. They will both get significant minutes coming off the bench...Azzi will get slightly more than Caroline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom