Who sits when Azzi comes back and why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who sits when Azzi comes back and why?

Reaction Score

You know Geno said some ones losing their starting spot to Lou a couple after summer practice began

Reaction Score
Let's not put the cart before the horse.

We have no idea if and when Caroline and Azzi will return to the line up. We can have this discussion when it is announced both will return.
Geno said today Caroline was returning this week and that Azzi was going to be back very soon.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Azzi is the 2023 version of Shea/Diana/Maya off the bench. Bazinga!

Reaction Score
Ease Azzi into the lineup by coming off the bench until she’s fully ready to go. After that, Aubrey becomes the 6th-Woman again.

I think Aubrey is the best option because she can sub for the Guards and Bigs.
The trouble is, Aubrey might be our best defender, even compared to Nika, and she also is so dangerous on fast breaks because of her speed.

Reaction Score
I expect point guard duties to be shared between Nika, Azzi, and Lou. Lou, Aubrey, Caroline, and Azzi will be attacking the basket from outside and inside positions. Yanna and Caroline will help down low along with Aubrey. We will be able to operate better as a team once we have shooters in all positions!

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
The only problem with bringing Azzi in off the bench is that once she gets in the game, no sane coach would ever take her out. That being said, I hope the current starting five stay in tact until the end of the season because they have more than earned it.

Reaction Score
Why would you look at it as "replacing" which has such a negative connotation. Azzi will only be adding to the team. She will help give Nika and Lou breathers. Azzi is not the best perimeter defender (personally i give that to aubrey). However, Azzi doesn't need to be "the best". She needs to be damned good, which is is. She is a big guard and a good defensive rebounding guard. And she will open up the pain on the offensive end which is invaluable.

Coached say time and again that once you get to the elite 8/final 4 ALL teams play good defense. you have to be able to score in the presence of good defense to win it all. You know what Muffets first advice to Megan Duffy was? "you need to be able to score against them (UConn)." The top teams all have great defense (SC, Stanford, UConn). Azzi will be a good defender, and a GREAT offensive threat. That is not "replacing" anything, only adding to the team making us stronger.
I said replace because she is one of the best players in the country and when she is healthy she will move back into the starting lineup. My underlying thought was would Geno put Dorka or Aubrey in the 6th person role? I like Dorka's length and I like Aubrey's quickness and defense.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno said today Caroline was returning this week and that Azzi was going to be back very soon.
No, Geno did not say that. He said that IF she can get through two consecutive practices with no bad after-effects, then we might be looking at a return against Marquette or Georgetown. Obviously that is a "big if".

Regarding Azzi, he endorsed her statement that she should be returning "a lot sooner than March". That is a forecast, not a promise.

Reaction Score
You have 120 mins to distribute between 3 positions. So far we've been making 3 players (plus Inês occasionally) cover all of these. When Azzi is back, we just divide that among 4 players. It's not about who starts, but about who plays. When Caroline comes back, she takes some of those minutes from the 1-3, and some of it from the 4, which until now has been divided unevenly between Aaliyah and Dorka (with some going to Ayanna and Amari)

Reaction Score
I said replace because she is one of the best players in the country and when she is healthy she will move back into the starting lineup. My underlying thought was would Geno put Dorka or Aubrey in the 6th person role? I like Dorka's length and I like Aubrey's quickness and defense.
Starters won’t matter. Time will be shared by all. The current starters need more rest, and Azzi and CD should prevent a dropoff in production.

Reaction Score
No, Geno did not say that. He said that IF she can get through two consecutive practices with no bad after-effects, then we might be looking at a return against Marquette or Georgetown. Obviously that is a "big if".

Regarding Azzi, he endorsed her statement that she should be returning "a lot sooner than March". That is a forecast, not a promise.
No he didn’t say if she can get through two consecutive practices. He said if she manages to get through practices in one piece she’ll plan this week. You make it sound like she hasn’t been able to get through consecutive practices when we know that’s not the case.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi likely will have a minutes restriction early on. I'm pretty sure she'll come off the bench for at least the first few games. Whom will she replace? It may depend on how the game goes. If anyone has 2 early fouls or looks out of synch per Geno, that player will be replaced. If it's Nika or Lou, that's a natural fit. If it's a front court player, we will go small.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mess with the chemistry of this staring 5 the rest of this year. Caroline and Azzi off the bench.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I see a lot of comments about how much better the team will be once Azzi returns. She is an incredible shooter and that helps on offense but who will she replace and how will that impact the defense?
Who started and came off the bench when Azzi came back earlier in the season? Azzi started and Aubrey subbed for post and backcourt players. No change.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Before it’s all over, we’ll end up with the rotation Geno designed for the Texas game. More or less. Nika Azzi Lou Aaliyah Dorka. That’s how Geno envisioned the team.
Absolutely! The quote below tells you when Azzi is back she will start and play 30+ minutes per game against the top 10 teams. Thanks to JoePgh for quote.
"Geno elaborated on the thinking behind this position during his press conference, where he said that the only way for this roster to beat SC is to take and make enough 3's to offset the 2's that the Gamecocks are inevitably going to get on the offensive boards."

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
None.
There will be a "needed" redistribution of minutes when Caroline and Azzi are able to integrate themselves back into the team dynamics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom