Who Should Tulsa Take with 2nd Pick? Vote | The Boneyard

Who Should Tulsa Take with 2nd Pick? Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think a lot of teams will look at Natasha Howard. She sort of labored in obscurity at FSU - they never really made much of a splash nationally in her 4 years there, but she was one of the top 3 kids in the class originally and I bet she goes in the first round. Maybe 5th or 6th even.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This should be a much closer vote, then Chiney was for the CT Sun. I suspect most will choose Odyssey even with Skylar Diggins on their roster. I voted for Alyssa Thomas because she's a prototype Wing and has size.

I think a lot of teams will look at Natasha Howard. She sort of labored in obscurity at FSU - they never really made much of a splash nationally in her 4 years there, but she was one of the top 3 kids in the class originally and I bet she goes in the first round. Maybe 5th or 6th even.

Natasha Howard should definitely be a first round and has lottery-level talent. She is great around the rim, stronger than her frame would suggest (based on appearance), has a very good wingspan, and has shown the ability to hit jumpers from the elbow and the free throw line (she did that in the Duke game). And she is a great rebounder (as NBA scouts often say, rebounding is the one statistic that really translates well to the NBA, when looking at college numbers). But she needs to really increase her proficiency from the foul line, as she has been in the low-to-mid 60s in terms of percentages for the past three years, despite a high volume of attempts. Plus, she is listed at 6-3, but very well could be closer to 6-2 or 6-1.5, which means that she might have to be a power forward in the WNBA, not a center (or would have to play with a center who has tremendous shooting range, so Howard could play the 5 on offense, but the 4 on defense). Also, her carelesness with the ball and the ability to pass out of double teams are causes for concern; her A/TO is atrocious. Now, we do not expect our post players to be primary ballhandlers. But at the next level, she needs to be able to protect it, to recognize double coverage and hit the open player, and to not create off the dribble by overpowering people (because you cannot do that right away in the WNBA the way players do in college, with few exceptions), leadnig to turnovers.

I see Howard as a good fit in San Antonio, playing next to Appel or Adams, as both can score from outside the paint and work a high-low with Howard (a healthy Sophia Young will start at the four). And Howard would be a great upgrade in terms of rebonding. But #3 is a bit high for her. She would be a steal at #12 for the Lynx (the Amber Harris experiment has failed, and she would work nicely with Devereaux Peters off the bench). Indiana could definitely use more size up front, but with the loss of Phillips, the Fever may look to take a guard at #9, the pick the team acquired from the Mercury in exchange for Erin Phillips (and I have the Fever taking Thomas at #5; see below).

As for #2, it should Sims. Tulsa needs ballhandling, playmaking, and scoring. Yes, the team took Diggins, but she struggled. Sims can play off the ball, though she is a tad undersized for the two. But it provides two ballhandlers in the backcourt, not to mention having the ability to score in the halfcourt as well as in transition. Sims ran the pick-and-roll with Griner and could do the same thing with Glory Johnson and/or Elizabeth Cambage. To make the team more dangerous would be the expansion of Glory Johnson's shooting range; if she can turn into a deadly weapon from 12-15 feet, Tulsa can run a pick-and-pop with her all day long (her athleticism and leaping ability allow her to elevate over shotblockers; plus, she can use a pump fake to drive, elevate, and score closer to the glass).

As for Thomas, she is a very strong player, who could be a great combo forward in the mold of Tamika Catchings. She can score, rebound, pass, create for others, etc. But she needs to work on her outside shot more, especially its consistency, in order to be an All Star at the wing position. She has the ability; generally, if someone is very good from the free throw line, you can work on expanding her range. Thomas is shooting over 80 percent from the foul line this year (having taken over 150 free throws, for a very good sample size). But she is only 4-18 from three this year, and her three-point shot has been inconsistent during her tenure in College Park. She needs to make sure it is a weapon. Catchings can be inconsistent with her shooting, but she is a career 35.8 percent shooter from three, more than respectable and enough to make it a weapon that teams have to guard against. That is what Thomas's goal should be - expanding her range and developing into a combo forward.

I do not see that happening in Tulsa. In fact, I think the best spot for Thomas would be Indiana, where she and catchings could invert roles at the 3 and the 4, on both offense and defense, depending on matchups (to say nothing of being mentored by the best combo forward in the WNBA). And the best place for her to do that is in Indiana, with the 5th pick.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Their coach was scouting Thomas and I think that would be their best choice. They have enough shooting/point guards and need a power forward who can score.

Thomas will step into the WNBA (and thrive) like EDD did last season.

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

I really hope she falls to #10 so Chicago can get her to back up EDD. Very impressed about her.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I really hope she falls to #10 so Chicago can get her to back up EDD. Very impressed about her.

They do not play the same position. EDD is a guard/wing, a primarily perimter-oriented player who can take smaller players inside. Howard is more of an undersized center who will be transitioning to the four.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
They do not play the same position. EDD is a guard/wing, a primarily perimter-oriented player who can take smaller players inside. Howard is more of an undersized center who will be transitioning to the four.

The Sky still play her at the 4 sometimes. I still want her on the Sky. :p

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Or take Sims and trade Diggins to Chicago (closer to her hometown)...

not that they would do that but as far as who will have the better WNBA Rookie campaign I would say Sims will outshine Diggins.

Thats not saying at all I think Diggins isnt worth it. She is.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Cam:

Would Tulsa consider taking Kayla McBride to team her up with College Teammate? The two together just might be a dynamic pair, like they were at ND.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I went and saw Tulsa play last yr vs Tamika Catchings and Indiana- Skylar played terrible. Boyd was superior on that day. I take the best player - Sims IMO- and trade Sky if possible. Unless she is putting that many fans in the seats and selling jerseys. I think Sims will be significantly better than Sky. If not Sims- it's Alyssa Thomas. I don't like her- but her body is built for pro ball and she'll be a force for a long time.

Reaction Score
Or take Sims and trade Diggins to Chicago (closer to her hometown)...

not that they would do that but as far as who will have the better WNBA Rookie campaign I would say Sims will outshine Diggins.

Thats not saying at all I think Diggins isnt worth it. She is.

They're two different types of players. Diggins is more of a traditional point guard who tries to run the offense by getting teammates open shots. Her Tulsa teammates simply weren't hitting the shots she was getting them last season or maybe they were the wrong shots. Not her fault.

Sims will be more of a shooting guard.

Reaction Score
I went and saw Tulsa play last yr vs Tamika Catchings and Indiana- Skylar played terrible. Boyd was superior on that day. I take the best player - Sims IMO- and trade Sky if possible. Unless she is putting that many fans in the seats and selling jerseys. I think Sims will be significantly better than Sky. If not Sims- it's Alyssa Thomas. I don't like her- but her body is built for pro ball and she'll be a force for a long time.

Tulsa already has a shooting guard who set the league single game scoring record last year. They need a power forward and a coach who can use their personnel better.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Cam:

Would Tulsa consider taking Kayla McBride to team her up with College Teammate? The two together just might be a dynamic pair, like they were at ND.

Very good question. She certainly feels a need and has good chemistry. Plus, Wiggins would be better in a backup role (or she could move to the three, since Nicole Powell is not setting the world on fire). And Riquna Williams and Candice Wiggins would be a very good bench combination.

At #2, you take the best player available. Is Sims better than McBride, in terms of professional potential and ceiling? I would say so. But is McBride more ready to contribute early? Yes.

Some of what Tulsa needs is not available in the draft. Glory Johnson, for example, needs more range on her shot and to use that more as a weapon, especially with Cambage in the paint. She and Liz have similar skillsets in that they are both very good rebounders who can dominate close to the basket. For the two to work together and to not clog the paint (which prevents dribble penetration from guards), Johnson needs to expand her mid-range game, even going out to three.

But as to your question about whether Tulsa would "consider taking Kayla McBride," I think it should be a consideration (WNBA GMs are notoriously tight-lipped about the players they are considering, except for Laimbeer, who loves to play with the media). It depends on which player (Sims or McBride, in your example) the franchise thinks is the better overall player (unless the team wants to draft for "need" over "best available").

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Sims and Griner almost never ran the pick-and-roll.

I saw Baylor run it a few times, and I did not watch that many Lady Bears games (3-4 per year).

Phoenix runs it with Griner (as the team should).

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
About like how the Knicks don't use Stoudamire like they should.

Hard to do when you have a ball-dominant, iso wing in Carmelo Anthony. Also, the pick-and-roll was a staple of the D'Antoni offense, not the Woodson offense. Nash and Amar'e ran the pick-and-roll and the pick-and-pop to perfection in Phoenix.

Side note...the advanced statistics/metrics all show that Carmelo is better at the four with the Knicks and that was integral to the Knicks' success last year? So what does the franchise do? Trade for a player who has to be at the 4 or 5 (Bargnani), meaning Carmelo has to be at the three (Chandler in the middle, Amar'e at the four, Bargnani at either).

I simply do not understand that franchise.

Reaction Score
They're two different types of players. Diggins is more of a traditional point guard who tries to run the offense by getting teammates open shots. Her Tulsa teammates simply weren't hitting the shots she was getting them last season or maybe they were the wrong shots. Not her fault.

Sims will be more of a shooting guard.

Are you trying to say that ND's all time leading scorer is a pass first player? She averaged more then 12 shots a game in college...

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Tulsa already has a shooting guard who set the league single game scoring record last year. They need a power forward and a coach who can use their personnel better.[/quote
Odyssey is a natural point guard - so maybe they Skylar and/or Boyd are trade-able? But then Thomas seams like their natural pick if what you say is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom