Who Should Tulsa Take with 2nd Pick? Vote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Should Tulsa Take with 2nd Pick? Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Natasha Howard should definitely be a first round and has lottery-level talent. She is great around the rim, stronger than her frame would suggest (based on appearance), has a very good wingspan, and has shown the ability to hit jumpers from the elbow and the free throw line (she did that in the Duke game). And she is a great rebounder (as NBA scouts often say, rebounding is the one statistic that really translates well to the NBA, when looking at college numbers). But she needs to really increase her proficiency from the foul line, as she has been in the low-to-mid 60s in terms of percentages for the past three years, despite a high volume of attempts. Plus, she is listed at 6-3, but very well could be closer to 6-2 or 6-1.5, which means that she might have to be a power forward in the WNBA, not a center (or would have to play with a center who has tremendous shooting range, so Howard could play the 5 on offense, but the 4 on defense). Also, her carelesness with the ball and the ability to pass out of double teams are causes for concern; her A/TO is atrocious. Now, we do not expect our post players to be primary ballhandlers. But at the next level, she needs to be able to protect it, to recognize double coverage and hit the open player, and to not create off the dribble by overpowering people (because you cannot do that right away in the WNBA the way players do in college, with few exceptions), leadnig to turnovers.

I see Howard as a good fit in San Antonio, playing next to Appel or Adams, as both can score from outside the paint and work a high-low with Howard (a healthy Sophia Young will start at the four). And Howard would be a great upgrade in terms of rebonding. But #3 is a bit high for her. She would be a steal at #12 for the Lynx (the Amber Harris experiment has failed, and she would work nicely with Devereaux Peters off the bench). Indiana could definitely use more size up front, but with the loss of Phillips, the Fever may look to take a guard at #9, the pick the team acquired from the Mercury in exchange for Erin Phillips (and I have the Fever taking Thomas at #5; see below).

As for #2, it should Sims. Tulsa needs ballhandling, playmaking, and scoring. Yes, the team took Diggins, but she struggled. Sims can play off the ball, though she is a tad undersized for the two. But it provides two ballhandlers in the backcourt, not to mention having the ability to score in the halfcourt as well as in transition. Sims ran the pick-and-roll with Griner and could do the same thing with Glory Johnson and/or Elizabeth Cambage. To make the team more dangerous would be the expansion of Glory Johnson's shooting range; if she can turn into a deadly weapon from 12-15 feet, Tulsa can run a pick-and-pop with her all day long (her athleticism and leaping ability allow her to elevate over shotblockers; plus, she can use a pump fake to drive, elevate, and score closer to the glass).

As for Thomas, she is a very strong player, who could be a great combo forward in the mold of Tamika Catchings. She can score, rebound, pass, create for others, etc. But she needs to work on her outside shot more, especially its consistency, in order to be an All Star at the wing position. She has the ability; generally, if someone is very good from the free throw line, you can work on expanding her range. Thomas is shooting over 80 percent from the foul line this year (having taken over 150 free throws, for a very good sample size). But she is only 4-18 from three this year, and her three-point shot has been inconsistent during her tenure in College Park. She needs to make sure it is a weapon. Catchings can be inconsistent with her shooting, but she is a career 35.8 percent shooter from three, more than respectable and enough to make it a weapon that teams have to guard against. That is what Thomas's goal should be - expanding her range and developing into a combo forward.

I do not see that happening in Tulsa. In fact, I think the best spot for Thomas would be Indiana, where she and catchings could invert roles at the 3 and the 4, on both offense and defense, depending on matchups (to say nothing of being mentored by the best combo forward in the WNBA). And the best place for her to do that is in Indiana, with the 5th pick.
Really great information. Sounds like maybe you've scouted or coached before. Very heady analysis! By the word, sorry about the men Dukies! Very shocking loss!

Reaction Score
Or take Sims and trade Diggins to Chicago (closer to her hometown)...

not that they would do that but as far as who will have the better WNBA Rookie campaign I would say Sims will outshine Diggins.

Thats not saying at all I think Diggins isnt worth it. She is.
Only if they can value in trade for Diggins.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure that Sims is not the #1 pick. She is the next great PG for the US. She will be one of the few players that doesn't struggle in the transition to the pros, especially on defense. Chiney has a fairly limited offensive skill-set right now and Sims can hurt you in multiple ways.

Reaction Score
Not sure that Sims is not the #1 pick. She is the next great PG for the US. She will be one of the few players that doesn't struggle in the transition to the pros, especially on defense. Chiney has a fairly limited offensive skill-set right now and Sims can hurt you in multiple ways.

I agree. The Sun need firepower. After they get Sims they could go on a quest to find some add'l toughness in the post to help Tina. Not sure if Jones is coming back. But the Sun need a potential year-over-year star player to support Tina from the backcourt. Also, I beleive Sims is better. Go with the better player. Tulsa take Chiney.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hard to do when you have a ball-dominant, iso wing in Carmelo Anthony. Also, the pick-and-roll was a staple of the D'Antoni offense, not the Woodson offense. Nash and Amar'e ran the pick-and-roll and the pick-and-pop to perfection in Phoenix.

Side note...the advanced statistics/metrics all show that Carmelo is better at the four with the Knicks and that was integral to the Knicks' success last year? So what does the franchise do? Trade for a player who has to be at the 4 or 5 (Bargnani), meaning Carmelo has to be at the three (Chandler in the middle, Amar'e at the four, Bargnani at either).

I simply do not understand that franchise.

It's the owner. He goes for "names." What's worse is that he doesn't value guard play much. My guess is that he probably started following basketball in the 80's and was enthralled with the Knicks teams of the 90's. In his 1st interview this season he said this year's Knicks team was more playoff-ready than last year's team. Absurd. The problem with last year's team was that Chandler go sick dropped a lot of wieght, Melo got hurt, JR Smith tanked and JKidd wore down - all this happeend in the playoffs - just before the playoffs though JK wore down a bit earlier too. In essence four players broke down. If that's what he meant - the inevitability of the breakdown - ok - but it's not what he meant imo. He just doesn't understand the game. He took Bargnani for $10m. "Nuff said. He just doesn't understand the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Geno-ista: Replying to your post: I don't see anyone named "Boyd" on their team (you had me there for a minute).

If Diggins is happy playing for Tulsa then there's no need to think about a trade. She can handle it with the right system/coach. The personnel are there for success.

Sims to Tulsa- I don't think so...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's the owner. He goes for "names." What's worse is that he doesn't value guard play much. My guess is that he probably started following basketball in the 80's and was enthralled with the Knicks teams of the 90's. In his 1st interview this season he said this year's Knicks team was more playoff-ready than last year's team. Absurd. The problem with last year's team was that Chandler go sick dropped a lot of wieght, Melo got hurt, JR Smith tanked and JKidd wore down - all this happeend in the playoffs - just before the playoffs though JK wore down a bit earlier too. In essence four players broke down. If that's what he meant - the inevitability of the breakdown - ok - but it's not what he meant imo. He just doesn't understand the game. He took Bargnani for $10m. "Nuff said. He just doesn't understand the game.

I think Stoudamire has been a big disappointment since he came to the Knicks. It seems like he's always getting hurt and they can't figure out how to best use him and Melo when he does play. That must go to the coaching.
I think they made a big mistake by trading Jeremy Lin and maybe should get him back.

Reaction Score
Well the Sun added Katie Douglas this morning, :) so that clouds the discussion of the Sun taking Sims with number one.

BTW, Cam had an excellent discussion of Howard. I am confused as to why more people aren't discussing her as a lottery pick. Reminds me of Sancho Lyttle.

Reaction Score
Well the Sun added Katie Douglas this morning, :) so that clouds the discussion of the Sun taking Sims with number one.

BTW, Cam had an excellent discussion of Howard. I am confused as to why more people aren't discussing her as a lottery pick. Reminds me of Sancho Lyttle.

I've never seen Howard play before.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hope that it is someone you don't like. I have BEEN to Tulsa!

Reaction Score

I guess. IMO they should have tried for Sims but another wing kind of defeats that . I have no confidence they'll make the right moves.

Reaction Score
Takes on Chiney tonight; great first look if you have ESPN3 on your computer/tablet.

I have FullCourt but was focused on the other games. FSU fell behind and Chiney had a good game from what I saw.

The draft looks deeper and deeper this year...

Reaction Score
Hope that it is someone you don't like. I have BEEN to Tulsa!

Depending on the coaching this year I think Tulsa could very easily dominate the West this season. Just need a better power forward.
Even Dolson would work there. Cambage likes to take shots on the move anyway.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think it may take Ogwumike some time to smoothly transition to the next level. She's a great rebounder, great at sealing her defender and creating space inside but she is limited offensively. She reminds me a bit of Tamika Williams with more potential, but if I'm Connecticut I would definitely take Sims over Ogwumike. Connecticut loses Kara Lawson and has a very depleted backcourt. With Tina Charles upfront, they need a guard who can pass her the ball. Sims/Griner was the best 1-2 in women's basketball for 3 years, I think that magic could be recreated with Sims/Charles.

Reaction Score
I agree. The Sun need firepower. After they get Sims they could go on a quest to find some add'l toughness in the post to help Tina. Not sure if Jones is coming back. But the Sun need a potential year-over-year star player to support Tina from the backcourt. Also, I beleive Sims is better. Go with the better player. Tulsa take Chiney.
I question if the Sun has more than two players on their roster worth keeping besides Tina Charles and I won't even count the recently signed 35 yr old Katie Douglas because of her recent injuries is she really ready to play enough to make a difference. Look at their roster. They need a lot of help.

Reaction Score
I question if the Sun has more than two players on their roster worth keeping besides Tina Charles and I won't even count the recently signed 35 yr old Katie Douglas because of her recent injuries is she really ready to play enough to make a difference. Look at their roster. They need a lot of help.

Which is why I'd take Sims. Monty could be a nice 3rd option. I just happen to think that their move with KD - they have so many guards/ small forwards on their roster, that they'll look to draft Chiney.

Reaction Score
Depending on the coaching this year I think Tulsa could very easily dominate the West this season. Just need a better power forward.
Even Dolson would work there. Cambage likes to take shots on the move anyway.

I agree. They can dominate the PAC-10. Because they have no shot to dominate Maya/Augustus/Whalen or Parker/Ogwumike or DT/Griner.

Reaction Score
Which is why I'd take Sims. Monty could be a nice 3rd option. I just happen to think that their move with KD - they have so many guards/ small forwards on their roster, that they'll look to draft Chiney.
Sims would take pressure off Tina but I wish Sun had a different coach who could work with Sims who can be out of control sometimes. They miss Thibault.

Reaction Score
Howard isn't a lottery pick simply becasue in the WNBA..only the top 4 are considered lottery picks.

I don't see her being picked before Chiney, Sims, McBride, Thomas and Dolson (will go Top 5). Howard, Hartley, Schimmel, and Achonwa are in the next tier. I would've put Chelsea Gray in the first group, but she's had injuries two years in a row..definitely a cause for concern. With that said, she should still be a 1st round pick. If she recovers, she'll be a great value pick.

Reaction Score
Howard isn't a lottery pick simply becasue in the WNBA..only the top 4 are considered lottery picks.

I don't see her being picked before Chiney, Sims, McBride, Thomas and Dolson (will go Top 5). Howard, Hartley, Schimmel, and Achonwa are in the next tier. I would've put Chelsea Gray in the first group, but she's had injuries two years in a row..definitely a cause for concern. With that said, she should still be a 1st round pick. If she recovers, she'll be a great value pick.

I'd pick Jen Hamson before any of those because she's a big with shot blocking talent and potential as a great scorer. Not as many double teams in the WNBA.

Reaction Score

So do you think those will be the first 10? Anyone else In contention ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom