Who needs to rebound | The Boneyard

Who needs to rebound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we play classic tenacious/inspired uconn defense and shoot from the field at a good clip then doesnt matter if we outrebound the other team. We were outrebounded a lot last year but still got 20 wins could of been more if not for injuries and the possibility of tourney. Even though we played with heart last year. i think this year: play with heart - injuries + something to play for = title contention. With our added big men and more seniority we might get outrebounded but not by huge margins maybe a 45-35 margin would be the biggest..if we do like we did against scsu with good def and good fg% then not only do we win with being outrebounded but we win by huge margins. 20 wins last year in big east this year with aac and experience and something to play for and hopefully no injuries we hit at LEAST 25 wins. Rebounding shmebounding

caw

Reaction Score
If we play classic tenacious/inspired uconn defense and shoot from the field at a good clip then doesnt matter if we outrebound the other team. We were outrebounded a lot last year but still got 20 wins could of been more if not for injuries and the possibility of tourney. Even though we played with heart last year. i think this year: play with heart - injuries + something to play for = title contention. With our added big men and more seniority we might get outrebounded but not by huge margins maybe a 45-35 margin would be the biggest..if we do like we did against scsu with good def and good fg% then not only do we win with being outrebounded but we win by huge margins. 20 wins last year in big east this year with aac and experience and something to play for and hopefully no injuries we hit at LEAST 25 wins. Rebounding shmebounding

Yes, but rebounding will also likely be better if Nolan gets 25 minutes per game.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Everyone!:D
Absolutely needs to be a team effort...everyone must box their man out from the 6'10" 230 lb center down to the 5'10" 165 lb. guard who is covering a 6'4" shooting guard!

Reaction Score
Exactly ..just look at scsu we r outrebounded but still kill them in the points category...

Your kidding right....SCSU isn't going to make us pay for giving them second chances and taking away our second chances. Louisville, Memphis, Florida, Stanford, Indiana, Cincy will make us pay...Rebounding is vital if you want to go deep into the tourney.

Reaction Score
Your kidding right....SCSU isn't going to make us pay for giving them second chances and taking away our second chances. Louisville, Memphis, Florida, Stanford, Indiana, Cincy will make us pay...Rebounding is vital if you want to go deep into the tourney.
You're kidding right? I said if we play tight defense like some of our past uconn teams then we will be ok...u said top teams will make us pay but u declined to read the part where i mentioned our good def..if uconn holds a team to 30-40% shooting then i dont mind being out rebounded by 5-10 and if they outrebound us its prob cause they r missing shots

Reaction Score
Theres a lot more to winning/going deep into tourney than rebounding, just look at the top teams last year...id rather have great def(prob reason being outrebounded) than having lots of rebounds (prob missing shots)
1 Quinnipiac 42.1
2 Missouri 41.4
3 Maryland 40.8
4 Colorado State 40.4
Prairie View A&M 40.4
6 UNLV 40.1
7 Seattle 40.0
Cincinnati 40.0
9 Towson 39.8
10 Iowa 39.4
Charleston Southern 39.4
12 Purdue 39.3
Northwestern State 39.3
14 North Carolina 39.2
N.J.I.T. 39.2
16 Kansas 39.1
17 Minnesota 38.8
UC Irvine 38.8
Ole Miss 38.8

Btw the champion cardinals were 66th in rebounding margin
Michigan runner up 89th in margin
Final 4 syracuse 71st in margin

Team defense is more of an indicator of a good team and i think we will be pretty good at it take a look at the quality in these teams compared to those teams from above
http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/opponent-shooting-pct
Combine that with good shooting % from us which i think we will have then thats y i think we will get at least 25 wins and possible title

Reaction Score
^^ Sorry but rebounding is critical to our success. Your list includes very few elite teams.

If everyone says we need to rebound effectively to go far in the season and tourney and one person says we don't, well who's right?

Ollie and staff, I'm sure are concerned.

Reaction Score
^^ Sorry but rebounding is critical to our success. Your list includes very few elite teams.

If everyone says we need to rebound effectively to go far in the season and tourney and one person says we don't, well who's right?

Ollie and staff, I'm sure are concerned.
Obviously better rebounding wouldnt hurt..and its good to work on the weakest part of your team..but look at the last 10 years champions they will all be a top 15-25 team in def and could be ranked top 15-100 in rebounding margin. There is more of an indication of success with being great defensively rather than with rebounding margin

Reaction Score
Theres a lot more to winning/going deep into tourney than rebounding, just look at the top teams last year...id rather have great def(prob reason being outrebounded) than having lots of rebounds (prob missing shots)

Btw the champion cardinals were 66th in rebounding margin
Michigan runner up 89th in margin
Final 4 syracuse 71st in margin

Well sure. Michigan was only an average rebounding team but they made up for it by being the most efficient offense in the country. Louisville was a poor defensive rebounding team, but they were 16th in offensive rebounding in addition to being #2 in forcing turnovers and in general being really strong in every other category. Cuse was #1 in blocks and #7 in steals and #5 in field goal percentage defense, they were also 9th on the offensive glass.

Basically if you are going to be average at rebounding you had better be absolutely elite, not just good, in other areas if you expect to make a run.

Reaction Score
Shooting is over rated as well. If we play lock down defense and shut every opponent out, we only need to score 1 basket to win! You don't need to score or rebound to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom