Who made the dumb decision ? | The Boneyard

Who made the dumb decision ?

Reaction Score
I was still living in Connecticut when KO was given his long contract. I got in many arguements with other fans over what I thought was a dumb decision. Giving a long contract to someone unproven as a head coach ?? dumb, dumb, dumb. Was it all on the AD or was JC calling the shots ?

BTW Where the heck was Ollie gonna go if UCONN had just told him "One year at a time for now baby."

Reaction Score
I was still living in Connecticut when KO was given his long contract. I got in many arguements with other fans over what I thought was a dumb decision. Giving a long contract to someone unproven as a head coach ?? dumb, dumb, dumb. Was it all on the AD or was JC calling the shots ?

BTW Where the heck was Ollie gonna go if UCONN had just told him "One year at a time for now baby."

One year at a time is not good for recruiting.

You may have noticed that almost any other coach gets a multi-year deal.

"You're going to play for that guy? He's only there for this year, then he's gone!"

Coming off his first few years, Ollie had options.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

At the time he had just won a national championship. He had proven his value. I would have made any contract extension performance based, but nobody asked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the time he had just won a national championship. He had proven his value. I would have made any contract extension performance based, but nobody asked.
The rumor was that the Lakers were coming after him.
5341bd50c3ba3.jpg

Reaction Score

No he already had a contract after he won NC that was up in 2019. Why they needed to extend him through 2021 at beginning of 2016 I don't understand. Bloom was starting to come off rose and don't remember much chatter since NC of him going to coach pro's.

Reaction Score
No he already had a contract after he won NC that was up in 2019. Why they needed to extend him through 2021 at beginning of 2016 I don't understand. Bloom was starting to come off rose and don't remember much chatter since NC of him going to coach pro's.

He deserved the extension. He won us a bleeping championship. Everyone of us would have locked him in long term after that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

That one was 100% on Benedict.

Reaction Score
It obviously has not worked out as we had thought, but I think the vast majority of fans were totally down w/ the extension. After year two, I think most here thought we were going to build another dynastic run of sorts. Some thought KO was in some ways an upgrade to JC. More connected with the NBA style/players, more likable to recruits, more relatable to players, etc. Unless we wanted to lose him to an NBA gig (context), we had to lock him up. It has not worked out as we nor KO had hoped for a variety of reasons. Even with the failings, I'd never call the extension a "dumb" decision. Nobody saw this falling apart in the manner that it has.

And "year to year" contract? This isn't 1947. You do that and not one kid will ever commit here because there is no guarantee who your coach will ever be. Furthermore, the OP said KO was unproven. He just won a title; a completely unexpected title by outcoaching a bunch of giants. He was more than proven to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He deserved the extension. He won us a bleeping championship. Everyone of us would have locked him in long term after that.

He already got a new contract paying $3MM a year after national championship. He was given an extension in 2016. He was already locked up. Once again this wasn’t his payday after NC, this was a premature extension.

Reaction Score
He already got a new contract paying $3MM a year after national championship. He was given an extension in 2016. He was already locked up. Once again this wasn’t his payday after NC, this was a premature extension.

and this is me putting my you know what in my you know what lol. thanks for clarifying.

Reaction Score
The man deserved the extension. He won a national championship with a roster that probably doesn't rank in the top dozen in program history based on pure talent. He also won that title by out-coaching Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and Calipari (okay, the last isn't a special feat) in succession. He also proved he could bring in big recruits (five-star kids like Hamilton and Adams). There was no reason to not give it to him. Coaches who've accomplished far less have gotten similar extensions mid-contract.

Reaction Score
The man deserved the extension. He won a national championship with a roster that probably doesn't rank in the top dozen in program history based on pure talent. He also won that title by out-coaching Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and Calipari (okay, the last isn't a special feat) in succession. He also proved he could bring in big recruits (five-star kids like Hamilton and Adams). There was no reason to not give it to him. Coaches who've accomplished far less have gotten similar extensions mid-contract.

2014–15 Connecticut 20–15 10–8 T–5th NIT First Round
2015–16 Connecticut 25–11 11–7 6th NCAA Second Round

Based off these two seasons I'm not seeing where he deserved an extension. Still had three more years on current contract. What was the rush? What has he done with these big recruits?

He got paid off NC, that's fair. The next extension should based of what he did after that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That one was 100% on Benedict.

Why? He didn't negotiate that contract. Was he going to take the job where his first act (pulling the contract) would alienate the BB coach, program, the national CBB landscape, and probably most of the fans?

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he took the job with the conditions being that this contract goes through.

Reaction Score
KO got the money & maybe he got comfortable, who knows.......but it really hasn't worked at all the past 4 years & this team was / is going nowhere but down.

The program badly needs a re-set & I understand if KO is booted next year might be ugly with transfers & de-commits but if the right guy is brought in it can be a quick turnaround. Right now I have zero confidence in KO to run a program & if the right person is brought in quickly in April then maybe the current players will breathe a sigh of relief as well.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Why? He didn't negotiate that contract. Was he going to take the job where his first act (pulling the contract) would alienate the BB coach, program, the national CBB landscape, and probably most of the fans?

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he took the job with the conditions being that this contract goes through.

Unfortunately, that narrative is not accurate at all. There was no contract set in place upon Warde's departure.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Really? Yikes! Make that two guys the bloom is off rose on.

We know how to pick Ads. What a schmuck!

I was very disappointed when I found this out. AD Dave really seemed like he had a handle on things and could help pull us out of the weeds.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, that narrative is not accurate at all. There was no contract set in place upon Warde's departure.

You know what? I've probably parroted something I've read many times on here. I can't find any mention of it either way with a quick google search. I've no idea who drove the process or how it was done. You claim it's Benedict. Where is your source for that info?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You know what? I've probably parroted something I've read many times on here. I can't find any mention of it either way with a quick google search. I've no idea who drove the process. You claim it's Benedict. Where is your source for that info?

PM me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom