Who(m)* do you hate? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who(m)* do you hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some clickbait tempted me:
27 Most Hated Coaches of All Time

Obvious problems with list: only male coaches of the biggest American sports. Again, it's just clickbait.

But it got me thinking during this season of compassion and love of fellow humans: why should I hate these guys? Some of them I don't like. But Greg Popovich? Who hates him? Joe Torre? I'm a Red Sox fanatic and even I like him? Bobby Knight? I sort of understand, but I've never hated him. I've both felt sorry for his demons and have had enormous admiration for his skills. Etc. Etc.

Agree on Popovich and Torre. If anyone hates them - and I doubt there are many who do - it is solely because their teams won so much. Completely disagree on Knight. He was a mean-spirited person, who specialized in abusing players and subordinates.

Reaction Score
So basically the ones who are most hated are successful.........go figure!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anyone and anything associated with Clemson Cow College.
You guys have quite the rivalry with Clemson. Before UConn played So Carolina in the bowl game years ago, their fans swarmed the board with all kinds of nastiness towards you guys (or y'all) but Boneyarders liked the Gamecocks fans better than the Taters so we told them to get lost. :)

Reaction Score
Way too strong of a word to use IMO, hate and intolerance are what's at the heart of much of our violence today.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Way too strong of a word to use IMO, hate and intolerance are what's at the heart of much of our violence today.
This is sports, not the real world.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You guys have quite the rivalry with Clemson. Before UConn played So Carolina in the bowl game years ago, their fans swarmed the board with all kinds of nastiness towards you guys (or y'all) but Boneyarders liked the Gamecocks fans better than the Taters so we told them to get lost. :)

:) Thanks, Nan. Yes, it is quite a nasty rivalry. You put together a small state, vastly different fan bases in close proximity and combined with old time political rivalries you get a lot of dislike between the schools. That would be the biggest difference when your arch rival is in-state.

Reaction Score
Didn't bother looking at this though I had seen it as clickbait on a couple of sites. Assume the guy with the Patriots is prominently listed near the top. And the answer is probably to change the title to 'Envied' rather than hated, because a lot of what gets called hatred is sports fan envy of another team's successful coaching and management.

And i agree with the Greg and Joe comments, though I sort of understand Knight - his personality/behavior is pretty bad. Another who was famous for tantrums was Billy Martin, but somehow even as a Red Sox fan I always liked him - found his antics funny and he was dealing with pro players rather than college kids.
I can't agree with Billy Martin. I was (am) a big Yankee fan and I always thought he was a hot head and an idiot. A guy totally out of control though I admired his passion for baseball.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
:) Thanks, Nan. Yes, it is quite a nasty rivalry. You put together a small state, vastly different fan bases in close proximity and combined with old time political rivalries you get a lot of dislike between the schools. That would be the biggest difference when your arch rival is in-state.

I love that Tiger Rag :cool:

Reaction Score
Agree on Popovich and Torre. If anyone hates them - and I doubt there are many who do - it is solely because their teams won so much. Completely disagree on Knight. He was a mean-spirited person, who specialized in abusing players and subordinates.
I had a big dislike for Popovich because of his boorish attitude toward the media and indirectly to the fans! I changed when he wore his heart on his sleeve for his beloved buddy Craig Sacher (sp) who passed away from a rare form of leukemia after a gallant battle. Showing his humanity changed my perspective.

Reaction Score
I have to respect Jim Foster for the success he's had at four institutions.

Hate? Well, I strongly disliked Pat Summitt during her hey-day. I hated the fact that she had so many big, athletic players and won big for that reason, which at the time seemed to be that reason alone. But time, and her tragic illness, has mellowed me.
I thought a great deal of Pat Summitt's success had to do with her having the "pick of the litter" for countless years until Geno came along and then he and others started getting to share some of the top talent as well. Her advantage with talent is a big reason why she has the all-time record of wins in college basketball though I do concede that she was a good coach and the face of women's basketball because of the notoriety and recognition she attained by winning continually in the dawn of women's sports getting recognition (with the help of ESPN). I certainly was saddened that she lost herself to Altzheimers because there are few things worse than losing yourself like that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Grammatically speaking, I'd argue it's either "who do you hate?" or "towards whom do you feel hatred?" :)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Just want to be grammatically correct, you know. :cool:

All the same, I would strongly advise against it, especially within Nan's cognizance.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Grammatically speaking, I'd argue it's either "who do you hate?" or "towards whom do you feel hatred?" :)

Argue all you like, but your first option is wrong and your second option is stilted. :cool:

Reaction Score
The holier than thou attitude is a turn off. The long time Dallas Cowboys coach, I can't remember his name... Tom something maybe? He irritated me but I didn't hate him.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let me modify the topic a little. Which woman's basketball coaches current or past do you: a) dislike, b) like, c) respect, and why? Lists need not mutually be exclusive.

For me,

Dislike:
Pat Summitt - I have respect for what she achieved but her deliberate attempt to smear the program, players and members of the board bothers me to this day. It's an ugly footnote on a great career, but she made it personal.

Quentin Hillsman - Well it's way down in intensity but he's on the list. On a one to 10 scale if Pat was a 6 (and she definitely was 10 when this was going on) Quentin is a 3. His teams tried being a little chippy with our girls and Geno showed him what it was like to play us without Geno's largess. Then Hillsman wouldn't give Stewie and home game and instead choose to play a game in front of maybe 300 people, silly. Still his girls used pluck and grit to get the NC game last year.

c. Vivian Stringer - Same issue of questionably chippy play. I personally believe one shove to the back of Maya Moore, after the game was decided, may have cost us a championship as Moore struggle with back spasms the rest of the way.​

Like:
a. Sherri Coale - Good coach who has great respect for our program and Geno and is pretty easy on the eyes.

b. Courtney Banghart - Princeton has had some good seasons since she's been there. I've met her on a few occasions and she is warm and friendly.

c. Doug Bruno - likable guy who is respect of our program and is a friend of Geno. He has his kids ready to play and ready to play hard, what's not to like.

d. Holly Warlick - Only because she is the gift that keeps on giving.​

Respect:
a. Summitt: She's #2 WBB coach behind Geno, so she gets respect.

b. Muffet: Her teams are prepared and have been our closest competitors. She could have been on either of the 1st two lists on any given day. But for Geno, she would likely be the gold standard in WCBB. That has to sting for her.

c. Tara VanDerveer: Stanford is where UConn streaks go to die. She is a very good coach who has sustained success.

d. Mulkey: 2 NCAA championships. What more needs to be said?

e. Dawn Staley: The building job she has done at South Carolina is very very impressive.

f. Steve Gomez: Remember him? He was the Lubbock Christian head coach. The way he handled his trip to Storrs and used a 60+ point beat down as motivation to take his team to a national championship is a great story. Here's how it started.

e. Bruno, Jose Fernandez, Banghart all come to mind as well.​
I like your take on this as those on this site are obvious fans of WCBB so HATE is too strong a word. Here's my spin:
Dislike:
Jose Fernandez - his teams the past 2 years have been overly physical against us, he recruits predominately foreign players, plays a soft schedule and under achieves in the tournament.
Joanne P McCallie- she's underachieved at Duke, has clearly bullied her players and even some assistants, plus it's Duke!
Muffet McGraw- I do respect what she does however this years game is typical of why I dislike her: her post game presses was all about how her team didn't play well, not once giving credit to UCONN defense and how they shut down her top 3 players when it mattered in her house. Plus it's ND - name a school sports teams more overrated,
C. Vivian- Same as CL82. Might be time to hang up the whistle.... just saying'
Like:
Brenda Frese- yes even with the baggie give away! Her teams come to play blue collar hoop, she always is in the conversation for contenders (yes, this years OOC is lame). That said this team has talent with a top freshman class.
Kim Mulkey-thing about her is she's won 2 titles across 7 years and built a great program. She is a competitor and was very gracious in her presser this year. And as a reminder to BYers we don't play them next year but in 2018 at Baylor so she is not ducking us. And she's got styling outfits!
Sherri Coale- built a decent program, has slipped a bit behind Baylor but still been good a descent amount of time.
Tara V-2 titles, Olympic Gold, beats UConn occasionally. She's not as relevant in annual Final 4 discussion anymore but still is quality.

Dawn and Doug- Geno likes them, therefore so do I.

What's going on really with these?
Jeff Waltz- can he coach? Or does he recruit? Is he a bully? Is he just inconsistent? Can he get the monkey off his back?
Holly W.-was just the beneficiary of a great program? Does she actually know offense? She can recruit but doubt she can coach. Still 27 wins is nothing to sneeze at EXCEPT IN TN, avoid VolNation-they eat their young over there....
Jamelle, Tonya, Jen- can anyone of these prove to be a worthy successor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom