Who is Number 1 Chime in with your thoughts and opinions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who is Number 1 Chime in with your thoughts and opinions

Reaction Score
I think you keep Stanford at 1 until a loss, then South Carolina then Uconn. Personally come March it’s hard for me to envision anyone but us and SC in that title game. Should be a fun season overall though due to the parity amongst everyone else.
Well, SCar and UConn may have played in November before Stanford has a loss.

March is too far off for me to speculate but one of us will probably have to get by Stanford before our potential March game.

Reaction Score
The last time a game was actually played Stanford assumed the mantle. Therefore they are #1.
All of this preseason speculation is just that, speculation.
Until games are played this season, they remain #1.
At least that’s the way I see it.
I agree 100%. UCONN might be the best team, but Stanford is king of the mountain until some team proves they're not. So that's the way I see it also.

Reaction Score
Didn’t your frontcourt go 3-14 in the Final Four against a team without a starter over 6’2”?

I can objectively assess talent and performance so no argument on the superiority of the UConn guards, but what on earth leads you to believe UConn’s forwards have ANYTHING over SC’s?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is October.
UCONN WBB has been ranked #1 at some point in every season since 2011-12. That is 10 years of being number 1.
A Chip is the only worthwhile objective. I'm not about to get on a we are #1 bandwagon or waste any energy raising a banner for being Unanimous #1 (SC) or celebrating an undefeated regular season (ND). Let's play some games that is the only way to settle this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think UConn clearly has the best guard play, while SC has the best post play. The question comes down to whether UConn’s guard advantage trumps SC’s post advantage. I think it does and furthermore, I think the gap between UConn and SC guard play is substantially larger than the one between their respective post play. I believe UConn will be able to achieve very close to a draw with SC’s post players but I doubt seriously that SC’s guard play will be able to do the same vis a vis UConn’s guard play!

Reaction Score
T
I just think the biggest struggle for Uconn is they're going to go on a 6 week span to end the season without playing a real threat. South Carolina, Stanford will have 5-6 games that are going to test them for the tournament. How can Uconn sustain that competitive edge when big east games are over after the first quarter?
The same way they’ve always done it on the way to winning 11 titles!

Reaction Score
I can objectively assess talent and performance so no argument on the superiority of the UConn guards, but what on earth leads you to believe UConn’s forwards have ANYTHING over SC’s?
UConn beat South Carolina last year along with 4 other teams. What on earth leads you to believe UConn's and other 4 teams have ANYTHING not over South Carolina?

Reaction Score
UConn beat South Carolina last year along with 4 other teams. What on earth leads you to believe UConn's and other 4 teams have ANYTHING not over South Carolina?
I didn’t ever say that SC was better than UConn or that I’d rank them higher—just that it was a poor assessment of the interior players on each respective roster.

By your same logic, though, Arizona and Arkansas would both have some sort of claim over UConn (which I sincerely doubt to be true in practice), so I’d steer clear of that.

Reaction Score

Do you get good juice pitting your oranges argument against his apples? He was referring to the comparison between both team's frontcourt players:

SC:
A. Boston: 8-17, 17 pts, 15 rebs, 3 blks, 2 stls
V. Saxton: 2-3, 5 pts, 8 rebs
L. Amihere: 2-5, 4 pts, 2 rebs, 1 stl
L. Grissett: 1-3, 3 pts, 3 rebs, 1 blk
TOTAL:
13-28, 29 pts, 28 rebs, 4 blks, 3 stls

CT:
O. Nelson-Ododa: 3-10, 6 pts, 7 rebs, 1 blk
A. Edwards: 4-9, 8 pts, 5 rebs, 1 blk
TOTAL:
7-19, 14 pts, 12 rebs, 2 blks, 1 stl

Please add any other players who you feel are more frontcourt than backcourt. CT also had Aubrey Griffin who was 2-7 for 4 pts, 7 rebs, 3 blks, and 2 stls. SC also had Brea Beal who was 3-9 for 8 pts and 10 rebs.

CT only had one player that finished in double-digits for the game. For such a low-scoring affair, she WAS the Connecticut offense. How that translates into a 21-22 "team" that is superior in every facet seems strange to me......

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
There was hardly any difference between SC, UCONN and Stanford last season and SC added the most, by a hair, so I think SC, but we will know a lot more by the end of December.

Reaction Score
The last time a game was actually played Stanford assumed the mantle. Therefore they are #1.
All of this preseason speculation is just that, speculation.
Until games are played this season, they remain #1.
At least that’s the way I see it.
While I don't necessarily disagree with ranking Stanford # 1 at this point, would we, according to the same logic, rank Arizona # 2?
With UCONN and SC tied for # 3?
Just playing Devil's Advocate.:p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While I don't necessarily disagree with ranking Stanford # 1 at this point, would we, according to the same logic, rank Arizona # 2?
UConn, South Carolina and Stanford are all very close oh, so why not give the champs the tie-breaker? Not that I care much one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Stanford, UConn and SCar did not have major losses to matriculation of their contributing players. Arizona did. If Stanford had major losses and lacked talented returners, I would not have them number one. But that's not the case.

I would rank them

1. Stanford: defending champs
2. UConn: final 4 team with win reg season win over SC
3. SCar: Final 4 team with reg season loss to UConn
4. Maryland (fluke loss to Texas)

5. NC State
6. Indiana Big 10 #2 deserves it
7. Louisville. ACC #2 deserves it
8. Baylor maybe/maybe not: Still have talent but large question on coaching change.

9. Arizona
10. UCLA
11. Michigan
12. Oregon

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
As I said in a prior post I feel UCONN has the highest ceiling but the lowest floor of the 3. Their ability to knock down 3's exceeds the other two teams. Thus execution of UCONN's offense is critical along with of course not being crushed by either team's physicality.

With that said, Paige, Evina, Azzi, Nika and CWill all were hurt last year or had recent surgeries to a degree, regardless minor or not, it's the accumulation with each. Azzi hasn't played a lot of competitive basketball either. So, a strength of the team I'd like to see be healthy and extremely efficient as a unit rather than be told that their health is all okay. For example, can I say this year without a doubt that Azzi will be better than all of the SC backcourt and wings? She hasn’t played that much in these past 2 years because of her injury and COVID.

So I have SC number 1 early on. They barely lost to Stanford, and Stanford lost a star, while SC reloaded with a potentially equal transfer as any team has gotten, and a power recruiting class in which I don’t believe their number 2 and number 3 recruits had injuries. Stanford didn't reload with recruiting this year. While SC lost nothing.
They lost another banner. ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I just think the biggest struggle for Uconn is they're going to go on a 6 week span to end the season without playing a real threat. South Carolina, Stanford will have 5-6 games that are going to test them for the tournament. How can Uconn sustain that competitive edge when big east games are over after the first quarter?
But, but, but I thought the schedule works to UConn's advantage because they're players are more rested and not worn down. Right, that's only when they win.

Wasn't a problem in 2014, 2015 or 2016. Wasn't the reason they lost FF games in 2017, 2018, 2019 or 2021. But sure.

If by 6-week span you're talking about the last 6 weeks of the regular season, UConn plays Oregon, South Carolina and Tennessee during that 6-week span.

They'll be fine.

Reaction Score
Stanford, UConn and SCar did not have major losses to matriculation of their contributing players. Arizona did. If Stanford had major losses and lacked talented returners, I would not have them number one. But that's not the case.

I would rank them

5. NC State
8. Baylor maybe/maybe not: Still have talent but large question on coaching change.

9. Arizona
10. UCLA
11. Michigan
12. Oregon
Pretty much in agreement except for AZ. They should swap positions with Oregon. I think Ari’s loss is going to take a little while to overcome. Having said that, I do believe Adia will keep them in contention for as long as she is there but I think they will slide back a little this season.

Reaction Score
mm-421.jpg

My friend.

Reaction Score
For now, Stanford. I suspect that this will not be the case by the end of the season. If you pardon the expression, it should be a dog fight (which should favor the Huskies).

Can't help thinking of the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons though. He usually (but not always) got the better of the dog. ;)

I would very much like to see the Huskies hoist the NC trophy, but they have some real challenges ahead of them to get there. Since I hate to be wrong, I'm not willing to make a prediction on who will be No. 1 at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
But, but, but I thought the schedule works to UConn's advantage because they're players are more rested and not worn down. Right, that's only when they win.

Wasn't a problem in 2014, 2015 or 2016. Wasn't the reason they lost FF games in 2017, 2018, 2019 or 2021. But sure.

If by 6-week span you're talking about the last 6 weeks of the regular season, UConn plays Oregon, South Carolina and Tennessee during that 6-week span.

They'll be fine.
I'll never understand why we have to go back to other seasons that have 0 relevancy to 2021. Different era of wcbb now, the transfer portal has opened many opportunities for teams to level the playing field if they don't do well in recruiting. And February 6 will be the last game they play vs a really good team. That means 3 weeks + tourny week + a week off + the 1st week of tournament we all know they'll squash whoever they play that first weekend is 6. Compare that to South Carolina who could be playing in a 3 game in 3 days scenario: A&M, LSU, Kentucky or Stanford playing Oregon State, Ucla, Oregon. Much different scenarios.

Reaction Score

I would rank them

5. NC State

9. Arizona
10. UCLA
11. Michigan
12. Oregon

Wasn't Kiana Williams something like, their leading scorer for the season last season?? Started every game they played. Led them in assists, too.....

confused0024.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom