OT: - Who here has a tattoo? Any particular meaning behind it? | The Boneyard

OT: Who here has a tattoo? Any particular meaning behind it?

Reaction Score
Not looking to debate the merits of getting a tat vs not getting one or anything like that. Just curious to see who here has a tattoo, what is your tat is and what the meaning behind it is, if you care to explain.

I have 4 myself. One small one above the ankle, got it in support of one of my best friends.

I was going to leave it at just that, but I got tired of looking at some scars on my left bicep and upper arm from the chemo port. So in recent years I have gotten three little ones to cover up the various little scars left by the chemo port. One is a cancer ribbon in the color of the cancer I had (non-hodgkins lymphoma), one is a small yellow star.

Another is a heart in the shape of one from a book my mom used to read to me as a kid. I lived by myself, totally independent financially or otherwise by the time I was 19, went to France when I was 21, went to China when I was 23. I think I got..too confident, like "Ya, I am an adult I don't need my mom." Well, I got really sick with HL in China and had to go back home to live with my mom when I was 23 and she took care of me for an entire year that it took to recover, just like I was a kid. I was ashamed at the time. But she said to me once before I left the nest again after that year: "You are my son at 5 or 55 and I am your mother and will always take care of you, never ever feel ashamed." So that tat was kind of in honor of that difficult time and that, yah, I will always be her son no matter where in the world I am or how old I am and I should never feel bad to go home for a day or a year.

All are very small and easily covered up if I ever need to do so. I might get one more very small one to cover up the scar from radiation therapy and maybe one more of a globe or related to travel if I find one I like.

I find it interesting to hear the stories behind some of the tattoos people get and some of the art work I have seen over the years is truly astounding.

So, who here has a tat? Any special meaning?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a family related tattoo. Grew up in an small Irish house with 9 others. Big family all from the same parents. Only person with a tattoo and don’t regret it. Always thought about getting the 90’s husky dog but I think I’m done. Body is getting older and I’m not as fit as I used to be haha.

Last edited:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I have a few. One is a tribute to my deceased brother, one is my grandfather's army dog tag numbers, one is for my son who died as an infant, and the other is a maple leaf/basketball hybrid. I'm planning another for my mother who recently passed.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Got this in honor of my late father. He always wanted to get it for himself, but never got to, so I went ahead and inked it on myself.

Attachments

• 8F52553B-98AC-4C61-A4D3-90510833531A.png
    8F52553B-98AC-4C61-A4D3-90510833531A.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 184

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
8 tattoos, all have significant meaning, even if some didn't mean anything when I was getting them.

Reaction Score
This is a cool thread.

One part of me has always been fascinated/attracted to body art. The other reminds me that I am always changing and what I think is a good idea at any one time, continues to change (thankfully in many cases). So for now, I remain uninked. For the most part many of you have chosen themes that will never loose importance - good choice.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This is a cool thread.

One part of me has always been fascinated/attracted to body art. The other reminds me that I am always changing and what I think is a good idea at any one time, continues to change (thankfully in many cases). So for now, I remain uninked. For the most part many of you have chosen themes that will never loose importance - good choice.
But that's what makes body art so special to me. Not all of my tattoos meant something when I got them, but they all have a story to them now. I'll always remember who I was as a person, where I was in life, who I was with, etc, when I got each tattoo. They're all so special to me.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Thems not tatoos! They're skin illustrations!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom