Who has been the biggest surprise this season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who has been the biggest surprise this season?

Which player has surprised you the most this season?

• Evina

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Mir

Results are only viewable after voting.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I did not vote until after the SC game. Before that game I felt that no one was performing beyond my highest expectations for what I hoped, not even Bueckers. Now I find it almost funny how Buecker’s season is turning into a heroic caricature, a movie script in the making.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The entire freshman class. I knew Aaliyah and Nika were mis-ranked. I think Aaliyah is top 8-10, and Nika is top 10-15. Nika's shooting of late has been a pleasant surprise, and Aaliyah is as physical as anyone in the country. Plus, Mir is finding her niche. I knew Paige would be really good, but not a serious contender for the best player in college as a freshman. Right now, I put her on a par with Maya, maybe even higher. Bueckers at the Buzzer!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Muhl looks a lot better than I expected her to. International players are often hit or miss in terms of how effective they'll be and I'm surprised at how composed she's looked the last few games after a pretty brutal start. I thought she'd be a player buried on the bench for much of her career like a Molly Bent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Muhl looks a lot better than I expected her to. International players are often hit or miss in terms of how effective they'll be and I'm surprised at how composed she's looked the last few games after a pretty brutal start. I thought she'd be a player buried on the bench for much of her career like a Molly Bent.
Molly was recruited by Brown and Harvard.

Nika was recruited by Louisville, Oregon, Ohio State, and South Florida.

Reaction Score
NO ONE ... not so. I may be stupid but I'm loyal to a fault. BTW I forgive you.
Ditto. Not surprised that she has found her way into the starting five but thankful that she has. By her own admission she came to the game late, five years ago, after trying all sports. Glad she picked BB and Uconn. Who knows where her ceiling is but I'm confident that both she and Geno want her bumping into it before she graduates!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nika showed she can play and excel at the highest level last night, just a few games into her college career. However, that late turnover was as lazy and brutal as it gets. Let's not do that again.

Reaction Score
I only selected Nika because I thought she would struggle early against top level teams but yet she was outstanding against SC. Now I have never been very impressed with the SC guards, but in saying that, they are still quick and can be hard to keep in front of you. Nika wasn't perfect, but she was really good on defense and as much as I like the player, I thought she might struggle this early in her career. Instead, she exceeded my expectations.

To make it clear, my expectations this year is that she would be a solid role player and she is that no doubt. She has shown now that she definitely belongs and she showed it with the way she handled the SC guards with the ball in her hands. She had no worries about them. Ran the offense, made the passes. She has ice in her veins. Maybe not the best scorer but you better not under-estimate her. They didn't rattle her at all and there were moments that she showed out with some big plays. On defense, she was also up to the challenge. Honestly, what else can you want from her??

I have confidence now that she can give us some quality minutes. She is making GA stay with her as a freshman and that says a lot.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The entire freshman class. I knew Aaliyah and Nika were mis-ranked. I think Aaliyah is top 8-10, and Nika is top 10-15. Nika's shooting of late has been a pleasant surprise, and Aaliyah is as physical as anyone in the country. Plus, Mir is finding her niche. I knew Paige would be really good, but not a serious contender for the best player in college as a freshman. Right now, I put her on a par with Maya, maybe even higher. Bueckers at the Buzzer!

In fairness, international players don't always get seen. Fortunately, UConn has great scouting abilities to find players that they believe will fit their program.

They caught onto Kia Nurse fairly late in her HS career too. Can't remember how high she was ranked when she graduated.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah - has had some up and down games, but showed when given minutes, can put up eye popping numbers with incredible efficiency. And has there ever been a stronger freshman??!!
NO

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Even with the hype, PAIGE. I never thought I'd see a freshman point guard do so much this early and shoot lights out on a team without great shooters so teams know it's basically Paige and streaky shooters. What Paige has done in almost every statistical category to me has far exceeded expectations. This is how crazy good she's been thus far.
I don’t have to explain my vote for Paige. Your comments articulated everything I was going to say.

Reaction Score
I would have said Aaliyah because she has been great and is playing herself into a big role and the coaches trust her, but I will now say Nika given her improvements since the first few games. After her first few games and that moment where she was in tears on the bench after being yelled at im not sure anyone saw this coming from her. Whether she continues to start or not, she is playing big minutes and is being trusted in big moments, thats huge.

Reaction Score
I only selected Nika because I thought she would struggle early against top level teams but yet she was outstanding against SC. Now I have never been very impressed with the SC guards, but in saying that, they are still quick and can be hard to keep in front of you. Nika wasn't perfect, but she was really good on defense and as much as I like the player, I thought she might struggle this early in her career. Instead, she exceeded my expectations.

To make it clear, my expectations this year is that she would be a solid role player and she is that no doubt. She has shown now that she definitely belongs and she showed it with the way she handled the SC guards with the ball in her hands. She had no worries about them. Ran the offense, made the passes. She has ice in her veins. Maybe not the best scorer but you better not under-estimate her. They didn't rattle her at all and there were moments that she showed out with some big plays. On defense, she was also up to the challenge. Honestly, what else can you want from her??

I have confidence now that she can give us some quality minutes. She is making GA stay with her as a freshman and that says a lot.....

Muhl is the big surprise, because she doesn't appear to possess the physical tools to excel. She's not tall, nor particularly strong, nor quick. She seems rather ordinary physically. So her emergence into a strong competitor and player who can hold up her end of the game is a surprise.

Reaction Score
I voted for Westbrook, I thought she would play at an All American level this season, even though that hasn’t happened, she’s still been pretty good, the mom of the team, durable, and eliminated any of the baggage that some Tennessee fans said she would take with her to Storrs. She’s also been the ultimate team player, playing anywhere from lead guard, to power forward.

Mir has also surprised me, I knew she was undersized but I thought she would be getting more playing time then she has, it’s to bad she couldn’t make it on to the floor vs South Carolina last night. It looks like Geno has his top 7 rotation going forward.

Reaction Score
Wait. Let's reconsider. Mir has played 115 minutes versus 253 minutes for Nika. But Mir has scored more points than Nika: 50 versus 49. She's pulled down twice as many rebounds: 40 versus 21. And five times more offensive rebounds: 21 versus 4. She's got to the free throw line more often: 14 versus 3. Nika has recorded more assists: 24 versus 7 (but in two and a half times more minutes). Nika also leads in steals: 18 versus 5.

But overall, this Mir has lit up the stats when she manages to get in. Does Coach Geno have a reason for playing Nika more? Would never second guess him. But Mir is putting up some startling numbers. She deserves a lot more "biggest surprise" votes than she's got so far....

Reaction Score
Wait. Let's reconsider. Mir has played 115 minutes versus 253 minutes for Nika. But Mir has scored more points than Nika: 50 versus 49. She's pulled down twice as many rebounds: 40 versus 21. And five times more offensive rebounds: 21 versus 4. She's got to the free throw line more often: 14 versus 3. Nika has recorded more assists: 24 versus 7 (but in two and a half times more minutes). Nika also leads in steals: 18 versus 5.

But overall, this Mir has lit up the stats when she manages to get in. Does Coach Geno have a reason for playing Nika more? Would never second guess him. But Mir is putting up some startling numbers. She deserves a lot more "biggest surprise" votes than she's got so far....
they dont play the same position for a start so its hard to directly compare their stats like that. Mir is trying to beat out ONO, AE and AG for minutes and she is very much 4th choice in that. The coaches clearly dont trust her to a) not foul every 10 seconds shes out there and b) understand the offence and work within the system. At times she has looked a little lost.
Come March I would not expect Mir to be in the game in close, tough games honestly which is absolutely nothing against her but even with foul trouble last night she didnt get in the game so that tells you all you need to know.

Reaction Score
I predicted Nika would be a starter by end of the year. Her video & assessments from those who knew her game in Europe were glowing. Paige is Paige - sweetest shot in wcbb from Day 1. To me, its been a very pleasant surprise by how much & how quickly AE has picked up the game on both ends of the floor. Very impressed by her game. She has a chance to be the next Tina Charles or Morgan Tuck.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nika has a chance to be one of the top PG in the Country and NO ONE, including me, thought that she would get more than clean-up minutes after her first couple of games. So to me it has to be Nika.
Do not map your short comings on others who are more prescient. ;) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Absolutely there are reasons imo.

1-- In regards to playing time - it has nothing to do with who is individually better - it matters who is best fit for what the team is trying to do - which is to best support PAIGE. Thus the stats aren't as relevant rather hwo works best with her.

2--- Nika spreads the floor more for Paige because she can hit outside shots.

3-- Nika is arguably the 2nd best 3 pt shooter on the team at this moment. And arguably one of the top 2 passers. These factors help Paige a little ot make it easier for Paige.

4-- Mir's strength isn't that much better than Edwards or Griffin's strength while Nika's strength of shooting and passing is arguably better than one or both of Evina and CWill. Not saying Nika is better than either- but the strengths Nika has make it easier for Paige vs Mir. Edwards and Griff can do what Mir does.

5-- Against tall teams Mir is going to struggle more than both Griff and Edwards in both scoring inside and defending inside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Muhl is the big surprise, because she doesn't appear to possess the physical tools to excel. She's not tall, nor particularly strong, nor quick. She seems rather ordinary physically. So her emergence into a strong competitor and player who can hold up her end of the game is a surprise.
If Bueckers wasn't on the team, Muhl would be getting more credit for her court vision. It's really top notch. And not just "for a freshman", for a BB player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When folks go to something like this, I have to bring up the varsity/JV thing. The eye test has shown who is ready to get minutes against the varsity and who isn't quite there yet.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

i take it this is a spellcheck problem, no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom