Who has been the biggest surprise this season? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who has been the biggest surprise this season?

Which player has surprised you the most this season?

• Evina

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Mir

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
ain't no way paige is a surprise. egads.

ye of little faith

the stats aren't gonna continue as is -- but the performance certainly is and her leadership and influence is gonna grow. not a surprise
UConn has had a slew of #1 recruits in the past. Some have lived up to their ranking, some have not. Paige has blown away any and every expectation that I had for her coming in.

Reaction Score
A surprise means something unexpected or that was not anticipated. I didn't anticipate 3 30 point games in a row from a freshman, a killer 3 against Tennessee, and 13 straight points to beat the #1 team in the country in overtime. It's Paige.

Reaction Score
I didn't think Nika would be this good so soon. Thought she would be stuck on the bench, coming in during mop up time. Congratulations, Nika.

Reaction Score
they dont play the same position for a start so its hard to directly compare their stats like that. Mir is trying to beat out ONO, AE and AG for minutes and she is very much 4th choice in that. The coaches clearly dont trust her to a) not foul every 10 seconds shes out there and b) understand the offence and work within the system. At times she has looked a little lost.
Come March I would not expect Mir to be in the game in close, tough games honestly which is absolutely nothing against her but even with foul trouble last night she didnt get in the game so that tells you all you need to know.

Wait. Mir Mclean is just one inch taller than Nika Muhl 5'11" versus 5'10". Hard to say that she is in a completely different category.

Reaction Score
When folks go to something like this, I have to bring up the varsity/JV thing. The eye test has shown who is ready to get minutes against the varsity and who isn't quite there yet.

Not sure this makes sense. They're playing on the same team against the same competition in the same games. Output matters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure this makes sense. They're playing on the same team against the same competition in the same games. Output matters.
Not against the JV it doesn't.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Wait. Let's reconsider. Mir has played 115 minutes versus 253 minutes for Nika. But Mir has scored more points than Nika: 50 versus 49. She's pulled down twice as many rebounds: 40 versus 21. And five times more offensive rebounds: 21 versus 4. She's got to the free throw line more often: 14 versus 3. Nika has recorded more assists: 24 versus 7 (but in two and a half times more minutes). Nika also leads in steals: 18 versus 5.

But overall, this Mir has lit up the stats when she manages to get in. Does Coach Geno have a reason for playing Nika more? Would never second guess him. But Mir is putting up some startling numbers. She deserves a lot more "biggest surprise" votes than she's got so far....
Nika!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love that almost 200 people voted, and I love that every single player got some votes. ♥️ Obviously this was not about who is the best, but rather about who exceeded pre-season expectations the most.

Nika has the most votes - (no real winners or losers in the poll - that wasn't the point). In another post about comparing Nika to Maria Conlon, most disagreed, with @JRRRJ saying Nika plays more like Jen Rizotti. Certainly from a heart and fire perspective, but I don't remember Jen as a freshman. Is that comparison accurate?

If Nika grows and develops as Jen did over 4 years, that would be something indeed!! :D

Reaction Score
I think the point is, comparing Nika and Mir is sort of like apples to oranges. They play totally different positions, Nika plays point guard, that is where her skill set is, Mir is not competing for point guard minutes. As mentioned Mir is in the mix with AG, AE, AM and maybe ONO ( when she's playing more of a forward). Mir does some amazing stuff when she is on the floor and she's finding more and more minutes of playing time. She is part of a really special freshman class.

Reaction Score
1- Nika. Thought at best she'd be 7th - 8th off the bench with a significant drop off. Now I want to figure out how to have her start and how ot get her looks at the basket! Seems to have a very good 1st step too.

2- Paige-- I did expect terrific play - but what she is doing now - so far - - hope it continues is just crazy. It's one thing for a player to be an A/a. Then to be a 1st team A/a it's impressive. But what Paige is doing is all-time great so far (Please let it continue tonight!). Historically great so far. Literally pointing out to players in halfcourt sets what to do-- - wow.

3- Edwards- You can argue she could be 1st too! Her strength and just super understanding what she is doing for a frosh - I didn't expect she'd be this physical - and even though she made Canadian Team at one point - it's clear she just has such an amazing understanding for a frosh.
The growth of the freshmen seems exponential so far. With Evina's knee issues returning again, & Christyn's inconsistencies, the door is open to starting Nika & Aaliyah now. Thinking of Azzi, Nika, & Paige up front next year, with Liv & Aaliyah in tandem. I hope that Aubrey & Mir can get enough minutes to continue their upward trajectory. This is Paige's team now, & the best freshmen team ever.

Reaction Score
The growth of the freshmen seems exponential so far. With Evina's knee issues returning again, & Christyn's inconsistencies, the door is open to starting Nika & Aaliyah now. Thinking of Azzi, Nika, & Paige up front next year, with Liv & Aaliyah in tandem. I hope that Aubrey & Mir can get enough minutes to continue their upward trajectory. This is Paige's team now, & the best freshmen team ever.

Reaction Score
I think we have had 11 top HS players come to UCONN. Paige in 13 games has outperformed them all. That is a surprise. Megan Walker got benched, several times her freshman year...Paige will not get benched .
Most times with high expectations, movies restaurants, etc, you go away disappointed. Paige has exceeded any and all expectations.
Don't forget about Williams. I am reminded that she was HS POY every time she throws up an air ball, or " doinks" two free throws in a big game.

Reaction Score
Wait. Let's reconsider. Mir has played 115 minutes versus 253 minutes for Nika. But Mir has scored more points than Nika: 50 versus 49. She's pulled down twice as many rebounds: 40 versus 21. And five times more offensive rebounds: 21 versus 4. She's got to the free throw line more often: 14 versus 3. Nika has recorded more assists: 24 versus 7 (but in two and a half times more minutes). Nika also leads in steals: 18 versus 5.

But overall, this Mir has lit up the stats when she manages to get in. Does Coach Geno have a reason for playing Nika more? Would never second guess him. But Mir is putting up some startling numbers. She deserves a lot more "biggest surprise" votes than she's got so far....
NM plays the guard position and stats don't always tell the story. Being able to distribute the ball is incredibly important and we have other players to do what Mir is good at, except those others are better than she is. NM also allows PB to play the 2G which I think GA likes, given the back to back to back 30 point games she has had.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

I like what Mir has done, but the players in front of her are all better at the moment (AE and AG). I think Mir is probably a 4, but lacks the ideal size, especially against top competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom