Who do you want? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bring back Calhoun with a Jankovich type as coach in waiting. I think there is a decent chance our program is screwed long term regardless. Give Calhoun a chance to try to clean up this mess he started.

Half joking here. Going outside the family is going to be so tough with how tight knit the alumni family is and with how all love KO.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Bring back Calhoun with a Jankovich type as coach in waiting. I think there is a decent chance our program is screwed long term regardless. Give Calhoun a chance to try to clean up this mess he started.

Do you think he wants to? I know last time I talked about this Chief killed me for pointing out his age/health and the possibility of negative recruiting, but do you think the amount of man hours necessary to fix things is something that appeals to him at this stage of his life?

Reaction Score
Calhoun wants the smell of the gym in his nostrils with no real pressure, and he has that. He don’t want the pressure cooker that he keft.

Reaction Score
Do you think he wants to? I know last time I talked about this Chief killed me for pointing out his age/health and the possibility of negative recruiting, but do you think the amount of man hours necessary to fix things is something that appeals to him at this stage of his life?

I don't think it's realistic but the idea of the coach in waiting would mitigate the negative recruiting, ideally. I don't think it necessary needs to take a long time to fix things in this present day, just need the right hire.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think it's realistic but the idea of the coach in waiting would mitigate the negative recruiting, ideally. I don't think it necessary needs to take a long time to fix things in this present day, just need the right hire.

Calhoun's top guys have been George Blaney, Dave Leitao, Tom Moore, and now Glen Miller. I don't think he has the rapport necessary for a coach-coach in waiting relationship with anyone who should be a HC at this level.

Reaction Score
I always laugh when someone goes to the "who would you hire" approach. It doesn't matter what names we rattle off, or even if we don't have any names. None of that matters. What matters is that we have eyes and can see where the program has fallen to. I don't who they should hire, but it's pretty damn easy to tell who isn't getting the job done.
Precisely, it's why you have an AD. Benedict gets paid big bucks to hire the right guy and that coach will be paid big bucks to win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So if we have a losing season this year you feel Ollie needs another season? We have no top 100 players coming per 247. Adams and Larrier ain’t coming back. So it’s 5’10 Gilbert and 5’10 Akinjo plus Vital and his limitations. Mathews and a big who won’t help for a few years. We will be worse next year. Sid Wilson is decent but he can’t shoot either.

Where exactly is Adams going? Surely not the NBA.

KO dropped his pants showed his ads today by allowing that embarrassment to an unranked, unremarkable team to do what it did today.

If anyone doesn't take that as a sign given what happened last season then please stop watching. It was coaching malpractice that any serious program is allowed to do that for 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
Calhoun's top guys have been George Blaney, Dave Leitao, Tom Moore, and now Glen Miller. I don't think he has the rapport necessary for a coach-coach in waiting relationship with anyone who should be a HC at this level.

The reason Jankovich worked is because he was already a successful and proven coach in a solid mid major league. Did he even overlap with Brown at any prior stop? It's not worth killing brain cells discussing this as it's not happening. I shouldn't have brought it up.

Reaction Score
I want someone who will be a father figure, not a friend. Someone who will drop f bombs right in all their faces relentlessly and rip them a new one after yanking them.

From what I’ve heard, Ollie can be very hard on his players. He has some serious problems, but I think that narrative of “Ollie is a friend to the players” is bs and based on stereotypes.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I wonder what AD Dave's relationship with Bruce Pearl is like...
;)

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, Ollie can be very hard on his players. He has some serious problems, but I think that narrative of “Ollie is a friend to the players” is bs and based on stereotypes.

You are correct. They don't trust him, and its not because he's too nice. Leave it at that

Reaction Score
You want a guy who can grow the program so you're going to want to poach a coach who can do well with next to nothing for recruits, who manages a few 20 win seasons. So, best bet would be the best coach in the A-10. Dayton won last year and saw Archie Miller leave for Indiana, so their new head coach Anthony Grant probably won't leave in one year. So that means you're looking at the best teams from the last few years. From that list you've got Mike Rhoades at VCU, Dan Hurley at URI and Mark Schmidt at St. Bonaventure

Reaction Score
images

Since you asked.....

In all seriousness you guys are experiencing the problems that come with hiring a former legend to run the team. Great players don't necessarily make great coaches and if it isn't working out firing the coach can be problematic.

Reaction Score
yes How about a proven warrior with a ring on his hand and a chip on his shoulder? Earning it the hard way but shining? From a major recruiting hotbed?not joking, but give boat a call to get on the bench. Scott Burrell is down the road earning his chops as well. There really isn’t any real option though.
Danny Hurley[/QUO

Reaction Score
yes How about a proven warrior with a ring on his hand and a chip on his shoulder? Earning it the hard way but shining? From a major recruiting hotbed?not joking, but give boat a call to get on the bench. Scott Burrell is down the road earning his chops as well. There really isn’t any real option though.
Absolutely not. No more family nonsense, we need a proven coach.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Absolutely not. No more family nonsense, we need a proven coach.
Yes, though to be fair it looks like we might've dodged a bullet with Shaka, too...

Reaction Score
images

Since you asked.....

In all seriousness you guys are experiencing the problems that come with hiring a former legend to run the team. Great players don't necessarily make great coaches and if it isn't working out firing the coach can be problematic.
This was a bad loss, but it's early. He'll get the rest of the season. But if this is a sign of what to expect, he's gotta go. The only problem with firing him, is his buyout. Nothing else should matter.

Watching our offense is painful. We run an AAU offense, and it's terrible basketball.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Uconn brings back Calhoun and Edsall in the same year. That would be a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom