Who do you want as the next UConn head coach? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More than a specific name I want someone who has had success at G5 level schools or FCS schools. Bottom line is UConn isn't going to get a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits.

I'm a firm believer that the correct coach can implement a system where 3 star players can win 8 to 9 games regularly.

Forget the BE football days, UConn can't compete with AAC schools. We can laugh at the conference as fans but 3/4 of the conference plays a level of football above UConn right now.
It seems like your second line where "the correct coach can implement a syster where 3 star players can win 8 to 9 games regularly" seems in contradiction to the last line where "UConn can't compete with AAC schools" who play at a level above UConn. Even solid 3 star players (per rating services) can evolve or play at a pretty high level with the right type systems in place and the right coaching staff. That was the start of both the men's and women's basketball teams here and success ended up bringing a higher level of talent.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he's impressive as hell. Hard to imagine he's our man, though, given the 24-48 hour timeline we're supposedly working with. JMU plays for the title in 10 days and I doubt he'd want that info to get out just before the game.
Who knows how legitimate the 24/48 hour timeline is. It's just scuttlebutt (rumor) as of now and I'm one of many who would love for him to be the MAN! Let's only hope!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think this poll really should have had Moorhead and Miles in it without the editorializing comments about Moorhead and Miles. The question is 'Who do you want as the next UCONN head coach?". Either Moorhead or Miles would blow the JMU coach away if they were included in the poll and I'm curious to see the poll results. If you can't list that many candidates, drop the ODU coach and someone else. I want the administration to know that we want either Moorhead or Miles so they at least make a hard push for those guys. As it is, it looks like we'd settle for the JMU coach or Golden and I don't think that's what the fan base is saying. I'd change my vote if those guys were added.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there, but What about NDSU HC Chris Kleiman, 5 consecutive FCS Championships, coached Carson Wetnz and advanced to FCS semi's this year without Wentz.
On a different note, DB comes from Auburn, interesting to see the Auburn OC as a candidate.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there, but What about NDSU HC Chris Kleiman, 5 consecutive FCS Championships, coached Carson Wetnz and advanced to FCS semi's this year without Wentz.
On a different note, DB comes from Auburn, interesting to see the Auburn OC as a candidate.

I believe Kleiman replaced Bohl 2-3 years ago. How much of his success is related to players recruited by Bohl?

Reaction Score
First Team on XM College Sports Radio seem to think they have the guy and it's "probably" Al Golden. :eek:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Golden would be a good hire for where the program is at (G5, not a lot of known talent, losing years approaching Rutgers level), but not for where we think we should be (top of G5, if not P5, consistently dominating the AAC).

I think it would be a good get at this point, but I would have liked to see someone with a higher ceiling. The next Jim Tressel, Tom Herman, Urban Meyer is out there somewhere. I guess I was hoping for a Jim Calhoun type hire. Probably asking too much in a FB coach considering where we are.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The problem the next coach is going to have is a smaller window to turn things around. He will need to show some competitiveness that was extremely lacking in Bob's first and last seasons.

The good news is that a bunch there were a lot of self inflicted incidents and indications of a lack of preperation. Not much that can be done to increase speed and skill in year one, but not being stupid and u prepared would show instantly.

I'm looking for that more than anything.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I know it won't happen, I am fully aware that a move such as this never works and I realize that it would be unlikely to get the parties to agree to the arrangement but I would be on board with Miles coming in as head coach with Lashlee as offensive coordinator/head coach in waiting with a five year window for him to step in when Miles departs/retires.

Reaction Score
Like the JMU HC, OC and offensive line coach. after Moorhead completely removed from possible viability>>>
Correct me if I am wrong but legally, (I am thinking 24 to 48 hours is a little tight)... don't we have to get past the 1/1 deadline of official Diaco relief first??
Tentatively speaking, just like Diaco's official termination date, 24-48 hours sounds good to me... Now we're down to 24 hours ( actually less now) till we know who will tentatively agree to become UConn Football's new Head Coach.

Reaction Score
First Team on XM College Sports Radio seem to think they have the guy and it's "probably" Al Golden. :eek:
Golden did a good job at Temple, proven program builder, Northeast guy with strong Jersey ties. We could do worse. Not my number one pick either, but I believe would move the program forward.

Reaction Score
My vote is for the anti-diaco Weist. Low-key, unassuming, and football driven with positive history here. Manual never got it-the right guy was already here in the oc/interim coach's office. May be wrong but of the group listed maybe besides edsel, least likely to want to bolt after one successful season here

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
If anyone was impressed with TJ they would have offered him better jobs since he left here.

I have nothing against the guy, but the unsubstantiated love for him around here after a 3-5 interim run is disturbing. Move on people.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Golden did a good job at Temple, proven program builder, Northeast guy with strong Jersey ties. We could do worse. Not my number one pick either, but I believe would move the program forward.
And he's been a position coach on both sides of the ball in the NFL/NCAA. Does kind of fit Benedict's preference for someone who can oversee the whole program with expertise without micro-managing one aspect or the other.

Reaction Score
Golden gets a bad rap for his time at Miami. He definitely made mistakes including showing too much loyalty to his D coordinator, but that said he was constantly being undermined by a number of thug alums who hated the fact that he wasn't connected to The U.

Al was never going to get a fair shake there. Nothing short of winning an outrageous amount of games would have saved his job. Under the right conditions he's a good coach. Northeast recruiting connections, high character, program builder. Uconn can do a lot worse.

Al undermined himself with idiotic statements, idiotic coaching, and his alienation of the local high school community. If you like gutless football, he's your guy. If you like aggressive football that gives you a chance to win, then you go to someone else. The guy is a con man, period.

Reaction Score
My vote is for the anti-diaco Weist. Low-key, unassuming, and football driven with positive history here. Manual never got it-the right guy was already here in the oc/interim coach's office. May be wrong but of the group listed maybe besides edsel, least likely to want to bolt after one successful season here

Manuel wanted to win a press conference for the first time ever.

Reaction Score
Actually...RE did pretty good getting Florida kids to come to UConn...and Schiano is a very good Florida recruiter when he was at RU. Northeast schools can indeed recruit Florida. Not 5 star kids,,,but the can get 3 star kids neglected by the big 3.

I will say the landscape of Florida recruiting has gotten much tougher with strong recruiters at secondary and tertiary Florida schools...Frost...strong...Davis...Kiffin. I still think you need to recruit there to sneak some athletes out of that state.

I agree with this. The one thing worth mentioning though, is that when Randy was here we were in a "BCS" league so under the radar kids still had a real shot at a big bowl game. It is a little more difficult under our current situation, but you still have to go after those kids. There are fast kids everywhere down here, I mean everywhere, and football is all about being explosive now.;

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's my list.
Would be happy with:
  • Miles
  • Moorhead
  • Fleck
  • Neal Brown
Just OK
  • Sciano
  • Golden
  • Jim Schwartz
  • Lashlee (no HC experience)
  • Orlando (no HC experience)
Just say NO
  • Edsall
  • Weist
  • Breiner
  • Both Michigan offensive coordinator/QB guys
  • Other guys with no HC experience.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chip Kelly? Assuming he's done in SF...
Would your answer remain the same if he brought in Red Pants as DC?

Reaction Score
Purdue is pretty much a no-win situation. Big risk on his part I think ignoring UConn and Cincinnati. One doesn't always remain the flavor of the month long enough...

I think you are selling Purdue way short. While they have been down as a program for awhile, there is opportunity there for the right coach to take advantage of. They are building a beautiful new facility that will aid in recruiting. They have major resources to work with from B1G Affiliation. They have won in the recent past. Doing so at a time like now where The B1G is viewed as a top two conference. Most important they are in The West. Every program in that division has a chance to compete. Wisconsin has been very good, and Nebraska has a Blue Blood reputation, but neither are dominant. A team on the rise could quickly challenge on that side of the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom