Who do you want as the next UConn head coach? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sometimes timing is everything. In the heat of the moment, maybe it made sense to stay at WMU. As time has passed..maybe things have changed and getting a payday may be more important than hoping for something better and risking staying at WMU.

We can hope...he is exactly what UConn needs.

I'd call Fleck and tell him the story of Warde Manuel.

Sure Mr. Manuel got the job he wanted - but if he didn't strike while the iron was hot.... he would have been looking at getting ridden out of here on a rail and hoping for another shot in the MAC.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A name I am completely pulling from my you know where, but would anyone be interested in Doug Marrone? Currently interim HC for the Jags.

He jumped to the Bills as HC. Can't really fault a guy for that. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as Jags HC.
Marrone isn't the easiest guy to get along with. Just putting that out there. Also, he's won't get the Jag's head coaching job. Tom Coughlin is coming back.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If expertise was required to post... we'd have Pal posting on Star Trek and Spackler posting on counter-intelligence. Those would be the only threads on the board.
I think Pudge could weigh in on the abilities of university presidents and UCLA undergrads.

Reaction Score
If expertise was required to post... we'd have Pal posting on Star Trek and Spackler posting on counter-intelligence. Those would be the only threads on the board.

Fair. But I have never even heard of some of these guys. I know Auburn has an OC but %{<* if I care about knowing him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fair. But I have never even heard of some of these guys. I know Auburn has an OC but %{<* if I care about knowing him.

Well no one that hasn't been a head coach meets the criteria that DB laid out today so you can cross him off the list anyway.

Reaction Score
FWIW I like the HC at James Madison... He's got that team producing on all cylinders, consistently. Pretty impressed how he brought his squad powerhouse NDSU and won. On to the FCS National Championship game they go. If somehow we made a move like that I wouldn't be bothered one bit.
Yeah, he's impressive as hell. Hard to imagine he's our man, though, given the 24-48 hour timeline we're supposedly working with. JMU plays for the title in 10 days and I doubt he'd want that info to get out just before the game.

Reaction Score
How about Jerry Kill? With Beth Goetz in the athletic department...something to think about.
Even if Kill purportedly has his health issues in check and was considered as a candidate for OC and now as HC, another ex-Minnesota athletic department employee may know a wee bit about Rutgals' newly hired OC. David Benedict! Doubt it, but imagine the response in the Jersey swamps.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be upset with TJ but I understand the misgivings. FWIW, I think he'll be a great head coach someday. The coaching tree he's come from was incredible, he's been successful, if unlucky... and he made a great impression while here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm keeping this realistic, so no Moorhead (multiple sources saying he's out), Tressel (he said he's done coaching), Orlando (he just took the job with Texas), or Les Miles (wants to win a championship not rebuild a program).

EDIT: Two names that wouldn't fit on the poll that I've seen folks mention are Skip Holtz (currently churning out 9-5 seasons at La Tech) and Andrew Breiner (Moorhead's successor at Fordham).

None of those guys. The Auburn OC is the only one I'd want to consider really.

Reaction Score
None of those guys. The Auburn OC is the only one I'd want to consider really.
I don't want to go with another coordinator with no experience calling the shots.

Just give me a guy who can string together a half-decade of 8-5 seasons and I'll be thrilled. If his sidekick is a young OC who has us flying up and down the field in the spread, more's the better, but that's certainly not a necessity.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Fleck, Moorhead, Miles.... wouldn't be that excited with the guys in this poll but I also understand that the guys I want are longshots

Reaction Score
While it is a long shot I would love to see UConn go get Michigan offensive coordinator Tim Drevno

Reaction Score
Yeah, he's impressive as hell. Hard to imagine he's our man, though, given the 24-48 hour timeline we're supposedly working with. JMU plays for the title in 10 days and I doubt he'd want that info to get out just before the game.
Like the JMU HC, OC and offensive line coach...... after Moorhead completely removed from possible viability>>>
Correct me if I am wrong but legally, (I am thinking 24 to 48 hours is a little tight)... don't we have to get past the 1/1 deadline of official Diaco relief first??

Reaction Score
Because he reportedly turned down Cincinnati and reportedly took himself out of consideration for Purdue.. if the guy has held off on low-level P5 and a G5 school with more recent success in a fertile recruiting state, UConn would seem like a poor fit for what he appears to be looking for.
To presume that he would never consider UConn is silly. We ended up with two guys that made UConn synonymous with basketball greatness. Jim Calhoun had some really nice success with Northeastern prior to UConn and came here, even with horrible facilities. Our stadium may be smaller than most but our practice facilities are amongst the best and our athletic department has had a lot more success over the years than has Purdue or Rutgers. What type of major success have they ever had???? Negligible.

Reaction Score
Purdue is pretty much a no-win situation. Big risk on his part I think ignoring UConn and Cincinnati. One doesn't always remain the flavor of the month long enough...
The only thing positive about Purdue is that they are currently in the Big 10. There is nothing to suggest they are invested in their athletic programs.

Reaction Score
I will leave this stuff to you guys. How I could have an opinion on how some OC somewhere would be as a HC of UCONN is outside my area of expertise.
I'm confused. If you don't have any input, why did you reply????

Reaction Score
Yes, and I love the guy and I'm confident he'll have another good team next year. It's still risk though - at UConn or Cinci he puts 8 figures in the bank. That's a lot of scratch.
Sounds like a pretty impressive choice. I am intrigued!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom