Who do you want as the next UConn head coach? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

Who do you want as the next UConn head coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jerry Kill is a good coach but not healthy enough to do it.

Why do we think Fleck can't be had? A lot of risk if he goes back to WMU next year - he cashes in for 8 figures if he takes this job.
Why would fleck downgrade to take a job where if he does what he did in WMU he'll just end up at the same place he is in now

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Florida kids don't want to come to CT to freeze. We need a coach with recruiting ties to New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania. That's the sweet spot for our program's future. That could be Schiano.

Actually...RE did pretty good getting Florida kids to come to UConn...and Schiano is a very good Florida recruiter when he was at RU. Northeast schools can indeed recruit Florida. Not 5 star kids,,,but the can get 3 star kids neglected by the big 3.

I will say the landscape of Florida recruiting has gotten much tougher with strong recruiters at secondary and tertiary Florida schools...Frost...strong...Davis...Kiffin. I still think you need to recruit there to sneak some athletes out of that state.

Reaction Score

Why do we think Fleck can't be had? A lot of risk if he goes back to WMU next year - he cashes in for 8 figures if he takes this job.

Because he reportedly turned down Cincinnati and reportedly took himself out of consideration for Purdue.. if the guy has held off on low-level P5 and a G5 school with more recent success in a fertile recruiting state, UConn would seem like a poor fit for what he appears to be looking for.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

I guess the belief is that if the reports that he turned down Cincy are true...why would he come here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because he reportedly turned down Cincinnati and reportedly took himself out of consideration for Purdue.. if the guy has held off on low-level P5 and a G5 school with more recent success in a fertile recruiting state, UConn would seem like a poor fit for what he appears to be looking for.

Purdue is pretty much a no-win situation. Big risk on his part I think ignoring UConn and Cincinnati. One doesn't always remain the flavor of the month long enough...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This has been in the works for several weeks. I don't buy any of the JJ last minute change of heart.

Reaction Score
I went with Golden for a lot of the above reasons. Like what he did at Temple and he can recruit the NE.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
More than a specific name I want someone who has had success at G5 level schools or FCS schools. Bottom line is UConn isn't going to get a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits.

I'm a firm believer that the correct coach can implement a system where 3 star players can win 8 to 9 games regularly.

Forget the BE football days, UConn can't compete with AAC schools. We can laugh at the conference as fans but 3/4 of the conference plays a level of football above UConn right now.

Reaction Score
Purdue is pretty much a no-win situation. Big risk on his part I think ignoring UConn and Cincinnati. One doesn't always remain the flavor of the month long enough...

Sure.. but after all the good press this year.. assuming he feels he has the right talent coming back, they'll have the shot/expectation to run roughshod on the MAC again. Dominating the MAC to land a higher profile P5 job is a easier prospect to dominating the AAC. He's betting on himself and his ability to dominate the MAC with players he knows against opponents he knows.

His only risk is if somehow WMU is simply average in the MAC next year. No one expects top-15 each season, but they will expect a conference title game appearance at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Florida kids don't want to come to CT to freeze. We need a coach with recruiting ties to New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania. That's the sweet spot for our program's future. That could be Schiano.
Florida kids do come north to play ball. UCONN needs to show that we can win again to attract them is all

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
This has been in the works for several weeks. I don't buy any of the JJ last minute change of heart.

I think it was Mike Anthony's article that made me think it was recent. It said they couldn't get on the same page on what needed to change. BD thought the fixes were simple...DB wanted something more drastic. It also mentioned that DB wanted to get BD help with his communication and PR skills. I can easily see Diaco being resistant and DB giving up. I doubt this realization by DB happened in the last couple days, but I do think after the season ended he intended to keep him. But when he Met with him about changes, he quickly realized that BD wasn't open to being fixed. That's when DB went dark with the public and media as he built support and funding to make the change.

In the end....the inability to learn and grow did in Diaco. Chalk that up to youth.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sure.. but after all the good press this year.. assuming he feels he has the right talent coming back, they'll have the shot/expectation to run roughshod on the MAC again. Dominating the MAC to land a higher profile P5 job is a easier prospect to dominating the AAC. He's betting on himself and his ability to dominate the MAC with players he knows against opponents he knows.

His only risk is if somehow WMU is simply average in the MAC next year. No one expects top-15 each season, but they will expect a conference title game appearance at a minimum.

Yes, and I love the guy and I'm confident he'll have another good team next year. It's still risk though - at UConn or Cinci he puts 8 figures in the bank. That's a lot of scratch.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
A name I am completely pulling from my you know where, but would anyone be interested in Doug Marrone? Currently interim HC for the Jags.

Reaction Score
How about Jerry Kill? With Beth Goetz in the athletic department...something to think about.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Yes, and I love the guy and I'm confident he'll have another good team next year. It's still risk though - at UConn or Cinci he puts 8 figures in the bank. That's a lot of scratch.

Sometimes timing is everything. In the heat of the moment, maybe it made sense to stay at WMU. As time has passed..maybe things have changed and getting a payday may be more important than hoping for something better and risking staying at WMU.

We can hope...he is exactly what UConn needs.

Reaction Score
I think it was Mike Anthony's article that made me think it was recent. It said they couldn't get on the same page on what needed to change. BD thought the fixes were simple...DB wanted something more drastic. It also mentioned that DB wanted to get BD help with his communication and PR skills. I can easily see Diaco being resistant and DB giving up. I doubt this realization by DB happened in the last couple days, but I do think after the season ended he intended to keep him. But when he Met with him about changes, he quickly realized that BD wasn't open to being fixed. That's when DB went dark with the public and media as he built support and funding to make the change.

In the end....the inability to learn and grow did in Diaco. Chalk that up to youth.
Well put Shaky

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
How about Jerry Kill? With Beth Goetz in the athletic department...something to think about.
I know it's hard to keep up with all the threads, but he has been discussed that after his recent comments about not wanting to be a head coach due to health reasons, he wouldn't be a HC candidate.

Reaction Score
I know it's hard to keep up with all the threads, but he has been discussed that after his recent comments about not wanting to be a head coach due to health reasons, he wouldn't be a HC candidate.
Thanks, seems like a new thread and a new person every minute.

Reaction Score
I will leave this stuff to you guys. How I could have an opinion on how some OC somewhere would be as a HC of UCONN is outside my area of expertise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will leave this stuff to you guys. How I could have an opinion on how some OC somewhere would be as a HC of UCONN is outside my area of expertise.

If expertise was required to post... we'd have Pal posting on Star Trek and Spackler posting on counter-intelligence. Those would be the only threads on the board.

Reaction Score
A name I am completely pulling from my you know where, but would anyone be interested in Doug Marrone? Currently interim HC for the Jags.
Not really to be honest. For some reason, in my head, it always seemed like he bolted from Syracuse to a NFL gig (HC I believe but that one always seemed like a head scratcher) because it seemed like he had already maxed out his efforts a Syracuse. Didn't seem like he'd do much better, but a quick moment of success there that turned into a pro job.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not really to be honest. For some reason, in my head, it always seemed like he bolted from Syracuse to a NFL gig (HC I believe but that one always seemed like a head scratcher) because it seemed like he had already maxed out his efforts a Syracuse. Didn't seem like he'd do much better, but a quick moment of success there that turned into a pro job.

He jumped to the Bills as HC. Can't really fault a guy for that. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as Jags HC.

Reaction Score
FWIW I like the HC at James Madison... He's got that team producing on all cylinders, consistently. Pretty impressed how he brought his squad powerhouse NDSU and won. On to the FCS National Championship game they go. If somehow we made a move like that I wouldn't be bothered one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom