Who coaches our big's? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who coaches our big's?

Reaction Score
oh ok so he was good under calhoun and bad under ollie huh?
personally, I don't think he was all that effective coaching bigs under either coach. Good guy, good basketball mind, but that doesn't mean it translates to every facet of the game. What bigs have you been happy with their growth inside the program since 2011?

Reaction Score
Everyone has good points, would love to hear KO weigh in on this, Jacobs you watching?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Really, Belichick?....is that how far up you have to go to make a point? Ollie is no Belichick just for starters.

Dude, it was obviously a hyperlative example to make a clear point. It had nothing to do with relative skill/success as a coach (BB to Ollie). It applies to any and all good coaches.

Look at Duke's staff. For a long time it has been pretty much all guards. Plus K. Scheyer. Capel. Nolan Smith. And Nate James, who did play some small forward. Formerly Wojo, Quin Snyder, Amaker, Collins, etc. All guards.

They do pretty well.

There's a reason guards often make good coaches. It's because they are the communicators/orchestrators of the team. The proverbial coach on the floor.

Maybe try it this way. I'm a 4* recruit on UConn's list. I'm a 6'10" kid, post player. I ask who is going to coach me, and what game experience this person has in the paint?/post?

I think the 2nd part of that is opposing schools using it against them, where it is applicable ( I do realize some schools are just like UConn have no former big's on the staff).

The last 2 years we graduated or lost:

Nolan never developed
Brimah never developed
Facey developed for about 12 games, then when opponents realized he was starting to become a threat, the double team's came, and that was it for him, because he couldn't recognize what to do quick enough
Enoch never developed, but in fairness, didn't get much opportunity to, and is gone now
Durham no opportunity, and gone now.

My point is, of all the big's Ollie has recruited, I don't see it working, or addressed.

Some times you have to admit that the raw ingredients aren't the best. Brimah/Nolan weren't gonna develop much anywhere. Facey maybe could have come along faster somewhere else, maybe not.

Enoch and Durham didn't finish, so you can't say anything about their future development vis a vis UCONN. You develop as a player in practice and the offseason. Then show off that development in games. Yes, experience is important, but if you aren't developing off the court, you don't deserve to be on it. Enoch didn't get much of a chance for that reason. He was very raw coming in (and reportedly wasn't much on D), so it's not much of a surprise he didn't make the jump yet. Still a chance he might.

And as you say, Durham, hobbling around, didn't get opportunities. I don't think anybody expected him to this year.

Ollie's biggest failure was not landing better players. He targeted them, but failed to land them.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In highly competitive D1 MCBB, a big has to come in with more than one asset in order to be good and improve and one of those assets has to be the competitive desire to work hard on bothe the offensive and defensive side of the game. AB didn't have this SE didn't have this BUT I think KF had a bit of it and I think Nolan showed a little of this.
Any player who wants to be successful has to have the drive
Unfortunately UConn gets mostly projects for bigs and need to plug them in without any benefit of redshirt and/or time to develop against really good bigs.
We all saw that with Hilton and Boone practicing against Emeka and Charlie V (to some extent) and Ed Nelson

Reaction Score
For some reason I'm not sure 18 year olds know who coaches what besides the head coach on most teams. They know who came to recruit them but realistically they are on their devices talking to their girlfriends.

Reaction Score
Dude, it was obviously a hyperlative example to make a clear point. It had nothing to do with relative skill/success as a coach (BB to Ollie). It applies to any and all good coaches.

Look at Duke's staff. For a long time it has been pretty much all guards. Plus K. Scheyer. Capel. Nolan Smith. And Nate James, who did play some small forward. Formerly Wojo, Quin Snyder, Amaker, Collins, etc. All guards.

They do pretty well.

There's a reason guards often make good coaches. It's because they are the communicators/orchestrators of the team. The proverbial coach on the floor.

Some times you have to admit that the raw ingredients aren't the best. Brimah/Nolan weren't gonna develop much anywhere. Facey maybe could have come along faster somewhere else, maybe not.

Enoch and Durham didn't finish, so you can't say anything about their future development vis a vis UConn. You develop as a player in practice and the offseason. Then show off that development in games. Yes, experience is important, but if you aren't developing off the court, you don't deserve to be on it. Enoch didn't get much of a chance for that reason. He was very raw coming in (and reportedly wasn't much on D), so it's not much of a surprise he didn't make the jump yet. Still a chance he might.

And as you say, Durham, hobbling around, didn't get opportunities. I don't think anybody expected him to this year.

Ollie's biggest failure was not landing better players. He targeted them, but failed to land them.

Why the hell are you replying to a troll with a well thought out post. @RUSS56 and @BenGordonfan should only be responded to with full mockery. These guys probably think that Pete Newell was the preeminent big of his generation, that Ron Adams and Thibs were lockdown defenders of the highest level and that Pop was the GOAT basketball player of all time. Actually, I would be shocked if they ever heard of any one them.

Hint: there aren't many big men that coach in basketball, let alone coach bigs, let alone have reputations as elite big men coaches. They are different skill sets.

Reaction Score
I don't totally disagree with that logic, but for one, this isn't high school, it is major college basketball. Secondly, any of the coaches can teach any position. Do you think it would be a fair argument to suggest that someone who played the 4, or 5 position at least at the college level, had some success, would be more of a hands on type of guy, one that has been there, understands from hands on experience, some of the details of being successful.

I'm not choosing a side here, I'm asking what I think is a legitimate question.
There are only so many things a coach can teach. The question is how many things the player can grasp and incorporate into his game. And no I don't think it matters much which position the coach played in college.

Reaction Score
I will no longer post here. This pace has some nice people, with some nice input, but too many have an agenda of just berating opinions, not my style, I wish all of you well.

Reaction Score
Sometimes everyone in the company knows the problem. But if the boss doesn't want to deal with it, it doesn't get solved. And if you're the one who keeps bringing it up, the boss gets mad at you rather than deal with the problem.

Reaction Score
Sometimes everyone in the company knows the problem. But if the boss doesn't want to deal with it, it doesn't get solved. And if you're the one who keeps bringing it up, the boss gets mad at you rather than deal with the problem.

And eventually, if things still don't end up fixed, the Board removes upper management and replaces them with someone else.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I will no longer post here. This pace has some nice people, with some nice input, but too many have an agenda of just berating opinions, not my style, I wish all of you well.

I wish you had told me yesterday. I wouldn't have taken the time to fix your avatar.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
b01221.jpg

Rest in peace.

Reaction Score
What's Clyde Vaughn been up to lately? I'm sure he got past that previous hiccup by now....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom