Who coaches our big's? | The Boneyard

Who coaches our big's?

Reaction Score
I know UCONN is not the first team in NCAAB that does not have anyone on the coaching staff that was not a guard in his playing days. Looking at the lack of development of our bigs, would it not be a reasonable question to ask, Is it working here?

Would it no be a reasonable question to ask KO?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Does KO know how to coach and develop bigs? If so, we wouldn't be in this situation.

My guess is it'll be a team effort, like it should be.

Reaction Score
I know UConn is not the first team in NCAAB that does not have anyone on the coaching staff that was not a guard in his playing days. Looking at the lack of development of our bigs, would it not be a reasonable question to ask, Is it working here?

Would it no be a reasonable question to ask KO?
We don't have any bigs to coach so the question is moot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The notion that someone like Kevin Ollie doesn't understand all the positions on the court is fanciful. Who coaches the bigs in high school? Whoever the coach is, that's who. Basketball isn't that complicated.

Reaction Score
The notion that someone like Kevin Ollie doesn't understand all the positions on the court is fanciful. Who coaches the bigs in high school? Whoever the coach is, that's who. Basketball isn't that complicated.

I don't totally disagree with that logic, but for one, this isn't high school, it is major college basketball. Secondly, any of the coaches can teach any position. Do you think it would be a fair argument to suggest that someone who played the 4, or 5 position at least at the college level, had some success, would be more of a hands on type of guy, one that has been there, understands from hands on experience, some of the details of being successful.

I'm not choosing a side here, I'm asking what I think is a legitimate question.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why does a former big need to coach a big? That's a clown thought bro. You just have to know what to do and how to communicate and motivate. Any good coach can do that.

You think Belichick doesn't know how to coach wide receivers given that he damn well didn't play the position?

Reaction Score
Why does a former big need to coach a big? That's a clown thought bro. You just have to know what to do and how to communicate and motivate. Any good coach can do that.

You think Belichick doesn't know how to coach wide receivers given that he damn well didn't play the position?

Really, Belichick?....is that how far up you have to go to make a point? Ollie is no Belichick just for starters.

Maybe try it this way. I'm a 4* recruit on UCONN's list. I'm a 6'10" kid, post player. I ask who is going to coach me, and what game experience this person has in the paint?/post?

I think the 2nd part of that is opposing schools using it against them, where it is applicable ( I do realize some schools are just like UCONN have no former big's on the staff).

The last 2 years we graduated or lost:

Nolan never developed
Brimah never developed
Facey developed for about 12 games, then when opponents realized he was starting to become a threat, the double team's came, and that was it for him, because he couldn't recognize what to do quick enough
Enoch never developed, but in fairness, didn't get much opportunity to, and is gone now
Durham no opportunity, and gone now.

My point is, of all the big's Ollie has recruited, I don't see it working, or addressed.

Reaction Score
In before this segways into the classic "hire Emeka" thread we all love. Completely ignoring the fact that there aren't as many big men coaching and that just because you were good at something doesn't mean you can coach it. Fact is most of our recent recruits at the 4 or 5 have been projects with limited ceilings. That has more to do with it than lack of coaching

Reaction Score
Better question is who's recruiting these guys? Time for improvement there, not coaching them.

I honestly can't believe I'm responding and this is an actual thread...Again

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't totally disagree with that logic, but for one, this isn't high school, it is major college basketball. Secondly, any of the coaches can teach any position. Do you think it would be a fair argument to suggest that someone who played the 4, or 5 position at least at the college level, had some success, would be more of a hands on type of guy, one that has been there, understands from hands on experience, some of the details of being successful.

I'm not choosing a side here, I'm asking what I think is a legitimate question.

Might it have appeal to a HS big looking at programs? Maybe. But it doesn't hurt Kentucky (3 guards and a SF). Or Kansas, all guards. This isn't unusual at all. I don't know why we harp on it. I assume that these guys learn how to coach the position by coaching the position. Starting at some small school and working their way up. Now that begs the question as to whether somebody like Ricky has enough coaching experience. And that's a fair question. Honestly, I'd trust a former guard that had been coaching for 10+ years over a former PF that has never coached, when it comes to coaching big men.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom