Who actually brings value | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who actually brings value

Reaction Score
My memory is Swiss cheese and hit or miss so maybe I'm remembering wrong. Wasn't there essentially just one bidder for our product (NBCSN?)? ESPN had the right to match it and since the initial bid was so low, that's how ESPN got it for pennies. The one good thing we got that factors into this argument was that the initial bidder was going to televise every FB game (or maybe it was FB & BB), so ESPN had to match that too. So we are on TV all the time and getting great exposure but getting pennies on the dollar.
Now someone correct what I've remembered incorrectly.

You're memory is better than you give yourself credit for.

Basically Marinatto screwed us with the TV deal that Aresco inherited. It said that ESPN had the right to match any outside bid. NBCSN gave us a lowball bid, ESPN matched it and here we are.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Wait wait wait. Time and time again we have been insulted and told to shut up by this boards most rational and level headed posters that ESPN has nothing against UConn and has never actively done anything to hurt the athletic program.

Reaction Score
Even in New England, NESN covers apparently overvalued BC more than the apparently undervalued UConn .How come ? Anyone got any possible explanations as to why it appears that even NESN is apparently " screwing over UConn " ? Does Diaco have a half hour weekly show televised throughout New England ? Why not ? BC stinks in football, but BC has a show on NESN each week with its coaches and players being interviewed. Is this NESN's fault too for " screwing over UConn " ? It could be. But if so, no reasons so far have been put forth for the " screwings " at NESN either, as near as we can tell.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I know there has been threads on Tier 1,2, and 3 rights in the passed... I'm not too savy on the searching for old threads.
can some explain what uconn's tier 2/3 rights are and where they are going today? If the AAC has a contract from ESPN that pays $x's, is the actual payout to each team increased because they are pooling everyone's Tier 3 funds? I'm assuming Uconn's Tier 3 rights are one of the highest in the AAC, hence they are subsidizing the other AAC schools.

Would that have been in the Uconn presentation as well? wouldn't that be an easy way to determine what a school is bringing to the table in terms of value? If that figure were known or more public wouldn't that debunk ESPN/Fox theory of $0 value for G5 schools. It would certainly start to formulate a view of Fishy's comments above about just how much Uconn is subsidizing both the AAC and ESPN while the university is consistently told they add $0 value.

Tiers are a fancy way of saying which media company gets to pick first. If the B1G deal with ESPN is to provide 36 FB games and 50 BB games per season with ESPN getting to decide which games, those are Tier 1 rights. Subsequent contracts with Fox, BTN, CBS, whomever are written in such a way that they pick after ESPN, and so on down the line. Generally, Tier 3 is leftover games after the primary, and secondary oulet contract requirements are met.

The AAC sold all its rights, 1, 2, 3 for everything to ESPN. The LNH consists of UT's tier 3 content. Games neither ABC or Fox chose to air on a given week. The B12 teams own their T3 content, the ACC's were sold to Raycom which they are trying to buy back. The SEC, BIG, and P12 all have conference networks distibuting T3 content. A few random game may be left with schools to sell on their own.

For UConn, anything that was on SNY or CBS before the AAC was T3. ESPN had the T1 through the Big East, and CBS had T2 BB.

The WBB crowd is livid because until the AAC sold everything. UConn had a T3 WBB deal with SNY that paid nearly as much as the entire current AAC share.

Reaction Score
Wait wait wait. Time and time again we have been insulted and told to shut up by this boards most rational and level headed posters that ESPN has nothing against UConn and has never actively done anything to hurt the athletic program.

I don't think anyone has ever argued that ESPN has done nothing to hurt UConn. I think people have made the argument that ESPN has nothing personal against UConn, which I don't think they do.

It's just business. ESPN has no reason to let us get into a P5 conference when they can make money hand over fist keeping us in The American.

Not like John Skipper is sitting in his office thinking of ways to screw us out of spite. He's looking to make money and if keeping us in the American was a way to do that, than tough luck.

Reaction Score
Even in New England, NESN covers apprarently overvalued BC more than the apparently undervalued UConn .How come ? Anyone got any possible explanations as to why it appears that even NESN is apparently " screwing over UConn " ? Does Diaco have a half hour weekly show televised throughout New England ? Why not ? BC stinks in football, but BC has a show on NESN each week with its coaches and players being interviewed. Is this NESN's fault too for " screwing over UConn " ?

Umm, contracts? NESN has a broadcast agreement with the ACC. They show BC games, but also show other ACC teams every weekend too.

Reaction Score
Our problem is simple. We're the nicest house on the block and we've elevated everyone else's value disproportionately from the investments made to our own property. As long as we remain a tool for a network to provide quality content in major markets for cheap there is a huge disincentive to move us elsewhere. That's why the networks consistently work against our interests.

The only thing that can prevent this in the future is a conference that really "needs" us or a price to pay for the network blocking our movement. I don't know exactly what form that price might take or if any of the options are good, but unless we have some other guaranteed Plan B option moving fofward we need to figure out how to stop being the gift that keeps on giving.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone has ever argued that ESPN has done nothing to hurt UConn. I think people have made the argument that ESPN has nothing personal against UConn, which I don't think they do.

It's just business. ESPN has no reason to let us get into a P5 conference when they can make money hand over fist keeping us in The American.

Not like John Skipper is sitting in his office thinking of ways to screw us out of spite. He's looking to make money and if keeping us in the American was a way to do that, than tough luck.
When you view ESPN as a corporate entity it comes off an non-personal, just business as they want it to appear. But when you realize "ESPN" is just a collection of individual people sitting in conference rooms, you can quickly see how it very well could have personal undertones and motives veiled under the plethora of excuses we have heard regarding expansion over the years, or "just business". I mean you are probably right in the grand scheme of things but when you think back to how a few months ago ESPN's chairman or something went on to become the Syracuse AD you become skeptical again. It's like when JP Morgan or something similar hires politicians to nice armchair lobby jobs after serving their short terms. It must have been nice to have someone influential who has your back during all those realignment talks BEFORE it went public, giving your school a head start for the lifeboats.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I agree - except I do think that if this was Syracuse the top at ESPN would have been more conscience to help their alma mater avoid our fate. They may not have been successful, but I do think they would pull the strings they could.

Reaction Score
Even in New England, NESN covers apparently overvalued BC more than the apparently undervalued UConn .How come ? Anyone got any possible explanations as to why it appears that even NESN is apparently " screwing over UConn " ? Does Diaco have a half hour weekly show televised throughout New England ? Why not ? BC stinks in football, but BC has a show on NESN each week with its coaches and players being interviewed. Is this NESN's fault too for " screwing over UConn " ? It could be. But if so, no reasons so far have been put forth for the " screwings ", as near as we can tell.
How come BC doesn't have the same exposure on SNY in the biggest media market in the country, but UConn does? Stop trolling. You're just as pathetic as you schools athletic dept.

Reaction Score
When you view ESPN as a corporate entity it comes off an non-personal, just business as they want it to appear. But when you realize "ESPN" is just a collection of individual people sitting in conference rooms, you can quickly see how it very well could have personal undertones and motives veiled under the plethora of excuses we have heard regarding expansion over the years, or "just business". I mean you are probably right in the grand scheme of things but when you think back to how a few months ago ESPN's chairman or something went on to become the Syracuse AD you become skeptical again. It's like when JP Morgan or something similar hires politicians to nice armchair lobby jobs after serving their short terms. It must have been nice to have someone influential who has your back during all those realignment talks BEFORE it went public, giving your school a head start for the lifeboats.

I mean, by that logic you should take it personal every time your heating bill goes up in the winter because your local oil distributor lives in your community.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The coverage of UConn athletics, on ESPN, major networks and regional sports networks, is far greater than the coverage of BC athletics.

It's not a point that can be debated so the usual ACC defenders are invited to leave the thread - we don't need you at the moment and you're adding nothing so sit this one out.

Clear? (Don't answer - just go.)

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I mean, by that logic you should take it personal every time your heating bill goes up in the winter because your local oil distributor lives in your community.
That's a poor analogy. The oils distributor has no personal or historical qualms with me, plus he has no reason to plot against me. Not really sure how that example applies. Whatever

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Umm, contracts? NESN has a broadcast agreement with the ACC. They show BC games, but also show other ACC teams every weekend too.
I've also noticed ACC soccer games on there and of course, the ACC gets their own tab on their ticker.
Even though they're called NESN with the NE meaning New England, this station really should be called MSN. They are extremely Mass focused. I've seen them do profiles of kids in high school, but never one outside of Mass. I love catching all the Sox games on there and looking forward to a season of the Bruins, but outside of that it is unwatchable.

Reaction Score
NESN contract however with the ACC does not include individual school's shows on NESN. These individual school's athletics shows were negotiated for New England audiences separately, between NESN and the individual schools. As such, BC and ND were able to negotiate weekly shows for themselves with NESN for New England audiences. There is absolutely nothing in a current AAC contract that prevents UConn from individually negotiating with NESN a show to televise a similar show for themselves on NESN for New England audiences. But UConn has failed to negotiate any such show for themselves for their football program in New England. One would just assume that UConn football fans would want to know why NESN is apparently " screwing UConn " too. Does UConn share any responsibility for not having a weekly football show on NESN at the present time ? If so, who at UConn ? Or is NESN just one more entity out to " screw UConn " by apparent intention.

Reaction Score
NESN contract however with the ACC does not include individual school's shows on NESN. These individual school's athletics shows were negotiated for New England audiences separately, between NESN and the individual schools. As such, BC and ND were able to negotiate weekly shows for themselves with NESN for New England audiences. There is absolutely nothing in a current AAC contract that prevents UConn from individually negotiating with NESN a show to televise a similar show for themselves on NESN for New England audiences. But UConn has failed to negotiate any such show for themselves for their football program in New England. One would just assume that UConn football fans would want to know why NESN is apparently " screwing UConn " too. Yes ?... No ?

Kind of like how UConn has individual shows on SNY?

Congrats on your 30 minute "Inside BC Football" program on NESN every Tuesday night at 6:30. You've truly cornered the market on BC fans who have gotten home from work and have the channel on while preparing dinner before the Bruins game.

Go home dude.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
NESN contract however with the ACC does not include individual school's shows on NESN. These individual school's athletics shows were negotiated for New England audiences separately, between NESN and the individual schools. As such, BC and ND were able to negotiate weekly shows for themselves with NESN for New England audiences. There is absolutely nothing in a current AAC contract that prevents UConn from individually negotiating with NESN a show to televise a similar show for themselves on NESN for New England audiences. But UConn has failed to negotiate any such show for themselves for their football program in New England. One would just assume that UConn football fans would want to know why NESN is apparently " screwing UConn " too. Does UConn share any responsibility for not having a weekly football show on NESN at the present time ? If so, who at UConn ?

We already have shows on SNY (14m households), which reaches significantly more viewers than NESN (4m household). So what is your point?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Unfortunately networks don't pay for individual teams. So one XFL's teams ratings being better than the Browns is irrelevant if the NFL's rating collectively are still 50 times bigger than the XFL's collectively.

But not because of Wake. You aren't subsidizing Wake.

Note the context where UConn was just, on Monday, kept trapped in the AAC. This happened quite possibly due to backroom maneuvering of ESPN in order to keep paying cheaply for content for which they would otherwise need to pay market value.

Reaction Score
Kind of like how UConn has individual shows on SNY?

Congrats on your 30 minute "Inside BC Football" program on NESN every Tuesday night at 6:30. You've truly cornered the market on BC fans who have gotten home from work and have the channel on while preparing dinner before the Bruins game.

Go home dude.
The question however is not how many people in New England watch the BC football program on NESN each week in the Fall ( few do ), the question that is germane to this thread is why nobody in New England watches a UConn football weekly program on NESN in New England, as Bob Diaco and his football program have no such NESN show in the fall for New England audiences. How come ? UConn is not a NY/ NJ school... they are a New England based school, in the N.E. state of Connecticut. Thus, UConn SHOULD have a UConn football devoted program on NESN in the fall, imo. Do you disagree ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The question however is not how many people in New England watch the BC football program on NESN each week in the Fall ( few do ), the question that is germane to this thread is why nobody in New England watches a UConn football program on NESN in New England, as Bob Diaco and his football program have no such NESN show in the fall for New England audiences.

For the last time, nobody watches UConn football on NESN because they have a TV deal with the ACC.

If you're asking why UConn doesn't have it's own 30 minute public access special on NESN, it's because the school probably sees the 10 million more TV sets it gets with SNY as a better investment than the 4 million it gets with NESN.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Honsestly, if NESN disappeared from my cable lineup I'd have no problem (I'm not a Sox fan) but if SNY disappeared I'd have a problem. Reason being their coverage of UConn.

When we get out Tier 3 rights back I can guarantee we won't be going to NESN looking for an offer....so this whole convo over NESN is stupid. Go away...

Reaction Score
Note the context where UConn was just, on Monday, kept trapped in the AAC. This happened quite possibly due to backroom maneuvering of ESPN in order to keep paying cheaply for content for which they would otherwise need to pay market value.

But they didn't do it because it was UConn, specifically, which seems to be what some posters are saying. They did it because financially why would they want to pay 23 million a year for the content they're only paying 2 million for? If they can pay the 2 million + a 5 million do not expand check, they're saving substantial money. It's a no brainer.

-Edit-
To take it a step further, ESPN is paying the B12 more not to expand because they had leverage, whereas UConn currently has no leverage and can't renegotiate the terrible Big East contract we signed as pointed out earlier.

You get a better contract when you get leverage. Presumably in 2020 when our current contract expires, we take all the info in this thread and we get a better deal. Hopefully the AD and cable media market hasn't collapsed by then.

Reaction Score
Hardly makes a difference. They are not prime time on Saturday. Women's basketball games on weekday nights are filler, along with women's volleyball, soccer, softball, whatever. What are advertisers willing to pay for these "high ratings"? That's the only question.
So when BC and Wake get used for filler.....oh wait they don't even get that nevermind... uconn wbb must better filler

Reaction Score
So when BC and Wake get used for filler.....oh wait they don't even get that nevermind... uconn wbb must better filler

Better filler means almost nothing, though. It doesn't mean literally nothing, but it's close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom