Whitmer Supporters | The Boneyard

Whitmer Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Defend your stance that he should be our starter if Cochran is done for the year. Hell tell us why he should start next week if Casey can't go. How does Whitmer starting or playing at all benefit the program?

Go.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we have better alternatives if Cochran is indeed shelved for concussions. Our long term still might be best by redshirting Boyle.

Reaction Score
yeah, let's hear it Bob Diaco, cause I'm not sure there are many Whitmer supporters left on this forum. He was B A D today, but he looks exactly like he did against UMass and NC State two years ago, which is to say he misses open WRs all over the field.

Reaction Score
He looked ROUGH today. At least five attempted passes to an open receiver sailed ten yards past the target.

Reaction Score
Could of, would of, should of, but we could of destroyed SB if it wasn't for Whitmer over throwing his receivers all freaking game. This kid was not on point all game. The receivers were open, but Whitmer was not giving the receivers any chance of coming down with the ball.

Will Tye a CT native is an amazing receiver, probably there best player on offence. Said he would of considered Uconn if we would of offered.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I won't try to defend Whitmer's play and I don't think anyone here will. In the short term, if Boyle gets reps in practice, is mentally and physically ready, he very well may do better than Whitmer. The media haven't been allowed to watch practices so we don't really know how he's doing. In the long term, redshirting Boyle is the logical choice if it's at all possible. It may not be possible this year, but if I were the head coach I wouldn't make that decision before the Boise game. The main problem as I see it, is a small improvement over Whitmer will probably not be enough to beat Boise, and it may not be worth more than a win or two all season long unless the OL really steps up and can protect the QB and also run-block well to keep defenses honest. So the real question should be, would you trade Boyle's redshirt for 1, maybe 2 wins, when we may not make a bowl game even with those wins?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we have better alternatives if Cochran is indeed shelved for concussions. Our long term still might be best by redshirting Boyle.

I disagree. Boyle can't be worse. If Cochran is shelved, getting reps for Boyle is the best thing we can do. Whitmer is not capable of leading this team to 6 wins so what's the point of playing him?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Let me ask...if Cochran is done for the year, would you burn Boyle's redshirt opportunity?

I say yes because 3 concussions in a year might be a season ending concern but it could very likely be a career ending injury

Reaction Score
LRock34 I'm with you again and I know we argued this yesterday, but if it isn't clear now then it never will be to the Whitmer supporters.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I disagree. Boyle can't be worse. If Cochran is shelved, getting reps for Boyle is the best thing we can do. Whitmer is not capable of leading this team to 6 wins so what's the point of playing him?
"Boyle can't be worse" does not necessarily mean "Boyle must be significantly better". And by pointing this out, it does not make me a quote-unquote "Whitmer supporter". It makes me skeptical of this year's offense overall.

Reaction Score
I agree, let's remember Boyle played the hardest teams on the schedule last year and played good for a FR. Cochran played the weakest teams on our schedule. I don't believe Diaco red shirted Boyle this year because he couldn't play or he wasn't ready I think he wanted to save Boyle for the future.

Reaction Score
I won't try to defend Whitmer's play and I don't think anyone here will. In the short term, if Boyle gets reps in practice, is mentally and physically ready, he very well may do better than Whitmer. The media haven't been allowed to watch practices so we don't really know how he's doing. In the long term, redshirting Boyle is the logical choice if it's at all possible. It may not be possible this year, but if I were the head coach I wouldn't make that decision before the Boise game. The main problem as I see it, is a small improvement over Whitmer will probably not be enough to beat Boise, and it may not be worth more than a win or two all season long unless the OL really steps up and can protect the QB and also run-block well to keep defenses honest. So the real question should be, would you trade Boyle's redshirt for 1, maybe 2 wins, when we may not make a bowl game even with those wins?

Yes I would. The redshirt is overrated. It all comes down to Casey. Will he play again and if so how soon. If he is done you go with reps for Boyle. Reps for the young guys has been the theme at every other position, why not the most important position on the field? Diaco isn't even protecting the redshirts of offensive linemen. Again it all comes down to Casey.

Reaction Score
"Boyle can't be worse" does not necessarily mean "Boyle must be significantly better". And by pointing this out, it does not make me a quote-unquote "Whitmer supporter". It makes me skeptical of this year's offense overall.

Overall the offense played great. Whitmer was inconsistent over throwing open guys. The score would of been different if Whitmer was on point.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
IF Cochran is done, it can't hurt to get Boyle more experience this season. Sheriffs is going to be in the hunt next year, why not accelerate Tim's development and increase the level of competition next year? SBU certainly showed how capable Xavier graduates are...

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
IF Cochran is done, it can't hurt to get Boyle more experience this season. Sheriffs is going to be in the hunt next year, why not accelerate Tim's development and increase the level of competition next year? SBU certainly showed how capable Xavier graduates are...

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Yes I would. The redshirt is overrated. It all comes down to Casey. Will he play again and if so how soon. If he is done you go with reps for Boyle. Reps for the young guys has been the theme at every other position, why not the most important position on the field? Diaco isn't even protecting the redshirts of offensive linemen. Again it all comes down to Casey.
Agree with you last point. I certainly hope Cochran can come back and stay healthy. I am guessing Diaco will not make the decision to burn the redshirt in the 3rd game of the evaluation period, unless Casey is done for the season. I would certainly wait until you know for sure. One could argue a redshirt for a QB is worth more than a redshirt for a lineman.

Reaction Score

You're not answering the question. How does starting Whitmer benefit the program? When did I imply the that Boyle would be significantly better? If we are going to suck at QB lets at least work on improving the guy that will help the program long term. If Casey is not going to play that guy is Boyle.

Reaction Score
Great?

Great?

Why does the offense make you skeptical? You don't think if Whitmer was to be on point all game that the score and stat be a different story? I'm not going to be skeptical about the offense if clearly it's Whitmer who was over throwing open receivers by 5 to 10 yards all game.

Reaction Score
If you guys think Whitmer is the problem with this offense you don't know $#17 about football.

Whitmer struggled, yes. He missed a few wide open guys. He also made some plays with his feet. The long pass too McQuillan wasn't his fault. McQuillan, BTW, dropped another first down pass today. McQuillan stopped his route and that's why the ball looked overthrown.

But this o-line still can't pass protect or run block. Whitmer has to get better, but so do the guys around him.

And...

44%, 0 TDs, 8 INTs. I've seen Boyle, if the coaches play him I'll root for him, but there is zero reason to think this team will be any better with him at QB.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Our O-Line got manhandled by a FCS D-Line. The number of unblocked defenders getting into the backfield was embarrassing. Where were the holes for the running game everyone here wants us to run all the time??

The o-line wasn't perfect, but that wasn't the issue. there's going to be sacks or tackle fore loss in any game no matter how great the team is. If Whitmer was clicking and would of gave open receivers the chance to catch the ball and make a play I don't think we would of been talking about the performance of the o-line. This would of been a different game stat and point wise if it wasn't for Whitmer.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
You're not answering the question. How does starting Whitmer benefit the program? When did I imply the that Boyle would be significantly better? If we are going to suck at QB lets at least work on improving the guy that will help the program long term. If Casey is not going to play that guy is Boyle.
It provides zero benefit this year. It *potentially* benefits the program by giving the *potential* QB of the future a year to develop. 2016, 2017 Boyle would have more of Diaco's recruits at OL, etc. If he plays in 2014 it could be a repeat of 2013, which I think we all agree was detrimental to his confidence and development.

Bottom line... either way it is guesswork. My preference is to weigh the long term just a little more than the short term. Most of the time, people making financial or other decisions tend to over-weigh the short term. Whether or not Cochran comes back will be a large factor in the decision to burn or save the redshirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom