Whitmer Supporters | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Whitmer Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only thing playing Boyle accomplishes is losing his 5th year.

The question is how many more wins and how many more tickets does Boyle sell by playing? The answer is if that's worth his 5th year. I personally don't. But I'm not ready to defend my position to the death.

Reaction Score
rich1122 said:
Both Chandler and Whitmer were bad today. Missed a ton of open WR's. What was irritating was listening to Diaco and Whitmer after the game. Whitmer said he had fun and Diaco was not even phased that we beat Stony brook by 3. We stunk. Fox saved the game. If I were the coach I would have flipped out.
In his defense, we don't know that he didn't flip out. Flipping out in the locker room vs flipping out to the media are two different things.

Reaction Score
Then you wonder if we are terrible and he doesn't see the field does he just give up and transfer?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've heard legends of people who called themselves "Whitmer supporters" but they've gone extinct by now

I'm a Whitmer supporter.

I'm a Whitmer supporter primarily because I'm a UConn supporter. It never ceases to amaze me how many UConn supporters behave in a fashion that doesn't support UConn. I'm also a Cochran supporter, for full disclosure. And there would be no way in hell that I would support playing Cochran if he had a concussion today, no matter how bad of a game Whitmer had. And giving Boyle an extra year separation from Cochran is the right thing to do.

Now, if people really want something to chew on, I want to know how on earth our team averaged 2.2 yard per carry and 88 total yards on the ground against an FCS team. Answer that question, and then we will have identified the biggest issue in my mind...

Reaction Score
Those who think overthrowing open receiver after open receiver don't know $ hit about football?
I did address what you said - that Whitmer isn't the problem, the OL is..

I didn't say that.

I didn't say Whitmer isn't the problem, the OL is.

I'll be more specific.

This offense has more to worry about than the accuracy of the QB. If you think the offense would be much better with a more accurate QB, well, I disagree.

Casey is more accurate (and my choice) but the offense isn't going to be much better with him if the other 10 don't improve.

Reaction Score
It provides zero benefit this year. It *potentially* benefits the program by giving the *potential* QB of the future a year to develop. 2016, 2017 Boyle would have more of Diaco's recruits at OL, etc. If he plays in 2014 it could be a repeat of 2013, which I think we all agree was detrimental to his confidence and development.

Bottom line... either way it is guesswork. My preference is to weigh the long term just a little more than the short term. Most of the time, people making financial or other decisions tend to over-weigh the short term. Whether or not Cochran comes back will be a large factor in the decision to burn or save the redshirt.

This is the perfect response to the OP. You aren't a "Whitmer Supporter" if you are merely looking at what is best for the UConn Football Program. Boyle needs time. Cochran is the key; then, you go from there.

Reaction Score
Whitmer has to hit those passes at least one time. He moves well in the pocket but is inaccurate which is a killer.

I want UCONN to win and if that means Boyle gives them the best chance, then he should play

Explain how Whitmer moves well in the pocket...... From my perspective he failed to step up into the pocket and opted to roll out or panicked under pressure 90% of the time. Are we watching the same game?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I didn't say that.

I didn't say Whitmer isn't the problem, the OL is.

I'll be more specific.

This offense has more to worry about than the accuracy of the QB. If you think the offense would be much better with a more accurate QB, well, I disagree.

Casey is more accurate (and my choice) but the offense isn't going to be much better with him if the other 10 don't improve.

This is one of the most baffling things I have heard on the Boneyard. The O has more to worry about than the accuracy of the QB? You don't think his inability to hit open receivers impacts the WR's, OL performance and running game? And that is to say nothing the missed paasss impact on the overall psyche of the offense (and opposing defense for that matter).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This entire thread was developed to insult our leading rusher today. That's right. Whitmer was our leading rusher today with 29 yards on the ground, which includes any yardage he lost on sacks.

I would like everyone to ponder that comment for a moment...

Reaction Score
This is one of the most baffling things I have heard on the Boneyard. The O has more to worry about than the accuracy of the QB? You don't think his inability to hit open receivers impacts the WR's, OL performance and running game? And that is to say nothing the missed paasss impact on the overall psyche of the offense (and opposing defense for that matter).

So your argument is the struggling QB prevents the OL from opening holes because of their psyche?

Interesting.

How did we run the ball so well when we had a merry go round of below average quarterbacks?

We've gone multiple seasons without any sort of passing game, and yet we could still average more than 2.2 ypc against an FCS team. How quickly we forget.

Reaction Score
Then you wonder if we are terrible and he doesn't see the field does he just give up and transfer?

I think we should install the west coast offense the Giants are using. But seriously, we need to try the short game, 3 step drops, slants. We are not getting it done consistently throwing down field. You still need to do it, just not as much. How many screens did we throw today?

Reaction Score
This entire thread was developed to insult our leading rusher today. That's right. Whitmer was our leading rusher today with 29 yards on the ground, which includes any yardage he lost on sacks.

I would like everyone to ponder that comment for a moment...

In fairness. 4 RBs got carries. But I still agree with your point.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
In fairness. 4 RBs got carries. But I still agree with your point.

That's true.

So to be fair, I'll combine DeLorenzo, Johnson, and Marriner. That combination beats Whitmer by 2 yards...with five extra carries to do it... :confused:

Reaction Score
WOW, just wow.
Our 4 RBs combined for 2 more yards than our QB with 5 more carries and that's including negative sack yardage and you think accuracy is the only problem with the offense.

WOW. just wow.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You're not answering the question. How does starting Whitmer benefit the program? When did I imply the that Boyle would be significantly better? If we are going to suck at QB lets at least work on improving the guy that will help the program long term. If Casey is not going to play that guy is Boyle.
I'll try -- I'm not convinced but this has to be the thinking: Boyle in 2017 when we're much better across the OL is worth sacrificing this year for. If you can't protect the QB this year and don't have a Taysom Hill, then you're throwing someone to the wolves... literally. I know HBCD can't say this outright but it's starting to look like he sees this season as a throw-away.

Reaction Score
I'm a Whitmer supporter.

I'm a Whitmer supporter primarily because I'm a UConn supporter. It never ceases to amaze me how many UConn supporters behave in a fashion that doesn't support UConn. I'm also a Cochran supporter, for full disclosure. And there would be no way in hell that I would support playing Cochran if he had a concussion today, no matter how bad of a game Whitmer had. And giving Boyle an extra year separation from Cochran is the right thing to do....

Oh jeez. Come down off your high horse for a moment. So I'm behaving in a manner unbefitting a good fan because I point out that the starting QB is playing terrible? "Whitmer Supporters" know who they are. Those that believed for some strange reason that he gave us a shot at winning 6 games. A few people made this argument this week and now I want to hear them defend that position after watching him today.

What I've heard in response is one obnoxious poster trying to convince us that the line is more to blame and insulting anyone who disagrees (laugh). And now you being holier than thou instead of simply talking football.

Reaction Score
I'll try -- I'm not convinced but this has to be the thinking: Boyle in 2017 when we're much better across the OL is worth sacrificing this year for. If you can't protect the QB this year and don't have a Taysom Hill, then you're throwing someone to the wolves... literally. I know HBCD can't say this outright but it's starting to look like he sees this season as a throw-away.
Throwing away years is never a good idea. You never know about injuries or if the league is going to have an up or down year or when someone suddenly exceeds expectations.

Every game should be played to be won. Every year. If you don't give our team the best chance to win today, you are cheating them.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The entire offense, G Davis aside, needs to look in the mirror. The OL lost the line of scrimmage several times. The running backs looked tentative and didn't run nearly as hard as they did against BYU, save for a few runs by Newsome and Max. The WRs (not Davis) and TEs dropped some very catchable balls on the rare occasion that they got one. And Whitmer made horrendous decisions and throws.

To be honest, I didn't see much today that would lead me to believe that any QB on our roster will make much of a difference unless the team just has zero confidence in CW and plays accordingly. Was Whitmer terrible? Absolutely. But he wasn't alone out there contributing to the terrible.

That all said, I really hope Cochran comes back for Boise ONLY if he is 100% healthy and cleared by several medical doctors and his family. He's head and shoulders above Whitmer in being able to move the offense. I am 100% certain that we will lose to Boise if Whitmer plays the entire game. To be quite honest, I'm not all that sure we would win any game on our remaining schedule with Whitmer playing the whole game. Perhaps I'm overreacting to what I just watched a few hours ago, but there comes a point where you have to call a spade a spade...and a backup QB a backup QB. Whitmer is a backup level QB that should see the field only in mop-up time. I guess I'm saying: redshirt be damned. Play Boyle (if Cochran is out long-term). Like someone else pointed out, redshirts have been burned all over the place. Why hold onto this ONE?

Reaction Score
Oh jeez. Come down off your high horse for a moment. So I'm behaving in a manner unbefitting a good fan because I point out that the starting QB is playing terrible? "Whitmer Supporters" know who they are. Those that believed for some strange reason that he gave us a shot at winning 6 games. A few people made this argument this week and now I want to hear them defend that position after watching him today.

What I've heard in response is one obnoxious poster trying to convince us that the line is more to blame and insulting anyone who disagrees (laugh). And now you being holier than thou instead of simply talking football.

Actually I said it's way more than just the o-line but I've lowered my expectations for your level of comprehension.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Throwing away years is never a good idea. You never know about injuries or if the league is going to have an up or down year or when someone suddenly exceeds expectations.

Every game should be played to be won. Every year. If you don't give our team the best chance to win today, you are cheating them.

I think I agree with this, personally, and it may be a bad word choice on my part. A first year coach looking at what he inherited might be forced to assess that the best he can do in year 1 is to shape for subsequent years. Not deliberately choosing to throw away the year but recognizing some harsh reality.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Agreed. Our O-Line got manhandled by a FCS D-Line. The number of unblocked defenders getting into the backfield was embarrassing. Where were the holes for the running game everyone here wants us to run all the time??
The reason SB was in the backfield most of the game is because they didn't respect the pass, they were gonna stack the box and force us to beat them through the air and we didn't. If you remove Davis from the box score whitmer would have had 30 passing yards. That's atrocious, defenses are going to start doubling Davis and force our secondary receivers to make plays and as they showed today they aren't capable. If they can't get something going through the air aside from Davis we are in big trouble.

Reaction Score
The entire offense, G Davis aside, needs to look in the mirror. The OL lost the line of scrimmage several times. The running backs looked tentative and didn't run nearly as hard as they did against BYU, save for a few runs by Newsome and Max. The WRs (not Davis) and TEs dropped some very catchable balls on the rare occasion that they got one. And Whitmer made horrendous decisions and throws.

To be honest, I didn't see much today that would lead me to believe that any QB on our roster will make much of a difference unless the team just has zero confidence in CW and plays accordingly. Was Whitmer terrible? Absolutely. But he wasn't alone out there contributing to the terrible.

That all said, I really hope Cochran comes back for Boise ONLY if he is 100% healthy and cleared by several medical doctors and his family. He's head and shoulders above Whitmer in being able to move the offense. I am 100% certain that we will lose to Boise if Whitmer plays the entire game. To be quite honest, I'm not all that sure we would win any game on our remaining schedule with Whitmer playing the whole game. Perhaps I'm overreacting to what I just watched a few hours ago, but there comes a point where you have to call a spade a spade...and a backup QB a backup QB. Whitmer is a backup level QB that should see the field only in mop-up time. I guess I'm saying: redshirt be damned. Play Boyle (if Cochran is out long-term). Like someone else pointed out, redshirts have been burned all over the place. Why hold onto this ONE?

This is the only argument for playing Boyle that makes sense.

They've played all these true freshman but don't want to play Boyle?

Maybe they see in practice what we saw in the field last year.

But the backup QB is always the best QB.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Did I call you out by name? No, I didn't. So you must be feeling guilty about something, huh.

As for defending how I think he can still help us win 6 games? Well, he won today without a rusher going for 30 yards. Not bad.

Look, he had a bad game. He made 3 really good throws and then added about 7 or 8 really bad ones (although thankfully, he didn't throw an INT). He missed a wide open touchdown. I'm not trying to argue that he had a good game. I'm sure he would tell you the same thing. All I'm telling you is that I am MUCH more worried about our lack of running game than our lack of passing game. Geremy Davis seems to get over 100 yards even when our QB performance sucks, so I'm not worried. But someone...SOMEONE!!!...has to run for more than 30 yards. Period.

Now, back on to my "high horse", I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom