Whitmer Supporters | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Whitmer Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The arguments on who's better is laughable. No one knows. Cochran is definitely the guy and if he's healthy should be the only one on the field. But if given the option of losing with a senior on his way out or a freshman strong armed kid who had it rough against the toughest part of the schedule last year, then I take Boyle in a second. But the fact is hey see Boyle with some potential and would prefer not to waste a year on him and that's fine I would tend to agree. But if Cochran is out for multiple games you scrub that thought and let the kid play. Whitmer is a great kid, came back yadayadayada, team player yadayadayada but he's not the answer. Would what he brings to the team be as good as Boyle? Maybe but one would prepare for next year and beyond the other not so much. Whitmer loves leaving the pocket the first breath he feels around him, sometimes to the wrong side and runs into trouble, plus his arm is weak. People say he made plays with his legs - well hell yeah he did, he ran every time he felt pressure, sometimes with a pocket forming. Hope Cochran comes back healthy but if this extends to a few games we need to see Boyle because looking at both sides of the ball this is a 2-3 win team like it or not anyway!

Reaction Score
The reality is we just have bad QB's, im sorry but Chandler or Casey are both equal in terms of talent and how far they can take this team. It might be time for burning that redshirt for Boyle and making him the starter for better or worse because the kid is going to be around for years to come. Starting Whitmer does us no good for the future, and its not really doing the team any good now. We "beat" Stony Brook by the skin of our teeth today, what do you think Boise State's D is going to do against a weak O-line and average to below average QB next week??

Casey is so much better than Whitmer, you have to be joking? Agree on Boyle but CC is the best of the 3 and I doubt it's that close at this time!

Reaction Score
Casey is so much better than Whitmer, you have to be joking? Agree on Boyle but CC is the best of the 3 and I doubt it's that close at this time!

I agree with you 100% on Casey being a lot better than Whitmer, but I don't think I agree with Casey being better than Boyle. Boyle played against the toughest opponents last year in Lousville, UCF, and Cincinnati and managed to play pretty good against them for a freshmen. Casey broke a record and played well when he started his three games, but they were against the easiest teams on the schedule. If Boyle was to start over Casey the last three games I don't think some will look at Casey the better option than Timmy. Boyle was red shirted because BD felt he can win with either Whitmer and Cochran, so he decided to save Tim for the future.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
First a couple of assumptions. Let's assume Cochran is out for at least the next 4 or 5 games. If he's not then I don't think you burn Boyle's redshirt. Let's also assume Boyle is better than Whitmer. I don't know if he is, but if he isn't you obviously don't play him and burn the redshirt.

A lot of people will say if he gets you a bowl game you burn it, if not then you don't play him. I disagree with this. In my opinion, if Boyle gets you 5 wins and Whitmer gets you 3 then you absolutely must burn Boyle's redshirt. If this program has the opportunity to go 5-7 with a new coach coming off of a 3 win season they need to go for it. I believe in building for the future as much as anyone, but another 3-9 season is going to be horrible for attendance, perception etc. 5-7 has a lot of positive spin potential. You cannot sit back and accept 3-9 because it will make us better in 2017.

Having said all of that, you can still redshirt Boyle next year if Cochran is healthy.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It seems people are worried about his redshirt? Seriously?

If UConn hasn't come up with a better quarterback for 2017 than is in the roster now God bless this program.
Agree with the overall sentiment here but in 2017 a 5th year SR Boyle is probably better than any RS Freshman or Sophomore they'll have in 2017.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree with the overall sentiment here but in 2017 a 5th year SR Boyle is probably better than any RS Freshman or Sophomore they'll have in 2017.

If that is true Diaco is already a dead man walking.

Reaction Score
The reality is we just have bad QB's, im sorry but Chandler or Casey are both equal in terms of talent and how far they can take this team. \

only if you believe that being a QB requires no brain matter at all.

Reaction Score
I know this may sound stupid...but does anyone think that the QB rotation between CC and CW was put in place to limit CC's snaps and limit his vulnerability to another concussion?

Reaction Score
I know this may sound stupid...but does anyone think that the QB rotation between CC and CW was put in place to limit CC's snaps and limit his vulnerability to another concussion?

No. Didn't seem to be an issue at all at the tail end of last year. Why would it be an issue now?

Reaction Score
No. Didn't seem to be an issue at all at the tail end of last year. Why would it be an issue now?
I didn't think so, then if it isn't medical I think HCBD has enough tape on CW to see that he is NOT the answer.

Reaction Score
Whitmer loves leaving the pocket the first breath he feels around him, sometimes to the wrong side and runs into trouble, plus his arm is weak. People say he made plays with his legs - well hell yeah he did, he ran every time he felt pressure, sometimes with a pocket forming. Hope Cochran comes back healthy but if this extends to a few games we need to see Boyle because looking at both sides of the ball this is a 2-3 win team like it or not anyway!

This!!!!! +1000. Some of you who know so much about football are completely missing this.

The reason I don't blame the line is because I've seen Cochran behind the same line. When Casey is at QB it's a three step drop and the ball is out of his hand. The lines job is to protect that. When Whitmer's in its slow decisions, a panicked pocket and Whitmer scrambling into pressure many times. He makes it look like he's scrambling for his life when in reality he simply should have gotten rid of the ball.

Reaction Score
I didn't think so, then if it isn't medical I think HCBD has enough tape on CW to see that he is NOT the answer.

Agreed. He has maintained his position that he offers "something" in the redzone that Cochran doesn't. This I also have not seen yet. He couldn't get it done yesterday against an FCS team. Cochran at the end of last season put points on the board, and threw the football around unlike any starting QB we have seen here in quite some time. I understand a new coach fully evaluating and giving each player a fair opportunity, but come on already.

Reaction Score
This!!!!! +1000. Some of you who know so much about football are completely missing this.

The reason I don't blame the line is because I've seen Cochran behind the same line. When Casey is at QB it's a three step drop and the ball is out of his hand. The lines job is to protect that. When Whitmer's in its slow decisions, a panicked pocket and Whitmer scrambling into pressure many times. He makes it look like he's scrambling for his life when in reality he simply should have gotten rid of the ball.

Agreed. If Whitmer has as many drop backs in the BYU game he gets sacked 5+ times. Mauconnfan made a great assessment and summed up my thoughts exactly.

Reaction Score
Cochran's main intangible is he gets rid of the football an d is the furthest along in neutralizing pressure. . Whitmer reminds me of drew Bledsoe minus the arm. He can make a play for u but u have to give him all day in the pocket.
My only fear of playing Boyle is not his ability but him getting massacred.

Reaction Score
The reality is we just have bad QB's, im sorry but Chandler or Casey are both equal in terms of talent and how far they can take this team. It might be time for burning that redshirt for Boyle and making him the starter for better or worse because the kid is going to be around for years to come. Starting Whitmer does us no good for the future, and its not really doing the team any good now. We "beat" Stony Brook by the skin of our teeth today, what do you think Boise State's D is going to do against a weak O-line and average to below average QB next week??

I'm sorry, but is that a joke? No rational argument can be made based on their respective track records that there is no material difference between Cochran and Whitmer. I feel like I'm back in '08 reading posts about how Tyler is costing us games when we were undefeated when he left the lineup injured.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

That's true. I also think Whitmer has been coached to err on the long side to cut down on INT's, hence the high number of passes that sail 3-5 yards over the receiver. But my recollection is that last year Boyle made poor decisions when the pocket was collapsing as well. Granted that came against higher quality defenses. He may have improved, but we don't know how much.

Reaction Score
Seems as people have confused my blaming the poor production of the offense on more than the QB with my blaming the O-line for Whitmer's poor play.

Of course one poster specifically seems to fully enjoy mischaracterizing my posts by pretending I blame the whole offense on just the o-line. Or that I said Whitmer has great composure in the pocket. He doesn't. All I've said is that he has been sacked so many times the last two years, I'm not at all surprised he gets happy feet. He has to improve, but apparently only a few of us saw the DE from Stony Brook come in untouched to drill Whitmer in the backfield. It is completely unfair to pretend that every time he scrambled he didn't have to.

The offense has more problems than just at QB. 2.2 ypc against an FCS team is atrocious. This program has become accustomed to facing 8, 9 guys in the box. This is nothing new for anyone here. No push, dropped passes, guys stopping their routes, RBs with two fumbles in two games, and a QB missing open receivers.

There is a ton of room for improvement at quite a few positions on offense. That's all this "Whitmer supporter" is saying.

Reaction Score

Nobody is missing this at all.

You're the one who's built this strawman made of false choices and those who see this differently are labeled as "Whitmer Supporters".

Reaction Score
Seems as people have confused my blaming the poor production of the offense on more than the QB with my blaming the O-line for Whitmer's poor play.

Of course one poster specifically seems to fully enjoy mischaracterizing my posts by pretending I blame the whole offense on just the o-line. Or that I said Whitmer has great composure in the pocket. He doesn't. All I've said is that he has been sacked so many times the last two years, I'm not at all surprised he gets happy feet. He has to improve, but apparently only a few of us saw the DE from Stony Brook come in untouched to drill Whitmer in the backfield. It is completely unfair to pretend that every time he scrambled he didn't have to.

The offense has more problems than just at QB. 2.2 ypc against an FCS team is atrocious. This program has become accustomed to facing 8, 9 guys in the box. This is nothing new for anyone here. No push, dropped passes, guys stopping their routes, RBs with two fumbles in two games, and a QB missing open receivers.

There is a ton of room for improvement at quite a few positions on offense. That's all this "Whitmer supporter" is saying.

The past is long gone, when we could face a stacked box, and still move the ball on the ground. Can we get there again? Sure, why not. But we're not there now. Until we can demonstrate some kind of offense that makes a defense feel like they need to do anything else but stack up on obvious running downs, this is what we're going to get. The one positive I see on the OL, is that they don't seem to be so confused all the time anymore. Very hard to block, when you don't even know who to block. Much different getting beaten, when you've at least decided who you need to block at the OL, from those 5 guys and gotten your assignment right, than it is to stand there and not know WTF you are supposed to do.

We've seen a whole bunch of backfield blocking failures, on protections both run and pass blitz, but that's expected with 3 new RB's and a new offensive system, and we've had some TE breakdowns, but again, we're playing a lot young guys in a new system.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If Whitmer is playing, aren't we all Whitmer supporters?
C'mon, you know how this board feels about its favorite sons. Somebody should be checking highway bridges in DC for Palantine.

Reaction Score
I posted in another thread I would give Boyle the second half, and think that's what Diaco might do. After thinking about it more...

Why didn't Boyle play against Stony Brook? Did the doctors/Cochrans really decide between Saturday and today that Cochran's career would be done? I would understand if they waited 2-4 weeks, and then made the announcement, but it came rather quickly. Less than a week after it was announced he wouldn't play, it was announced his career was over. So either Boyle didn't get enough snaps during the week (plausible), or Diaco really doesn't want to play Boyle unless he has to.

I hope it's the former, because I think Boyle should get some snaps, I just don't expect him to play any better and win the job outright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom