Which university was turned down for Big 10 due to "academics" according to Wisc. AD Alvarez? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which university was turned down for Big 10 due to "academics" according to Wisc. AD Alvarez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's certainly valid research. Whether or not it's valuable remains to be seen. But I know exactly what your saying.

For Waquoit and others, the idea of time travel is one of the basic premises of Einstein's relativity theory (hence, Einstein's picture in one of the links). Scientists who follow the theory basically say that if you were to ride on a train around the circumference of the world at the speed of light over and over again, you would exit the train after 10 minutes and you would be viewing the world perhaps a hundred years after you got on the train. Your molecular processes slow down while everything else is happening at "regular speed".

It's weird, mind-boggling #hit, and perhaps that's why I don't buy it, but Einstein was right about a few things over the course of his career...

EDIT: Dr. Stephen Hawking tells the story better than I do. Here it is:

If the cosmic speed limit is the speed of light how does Hawking explain quantum entanglement? Or I can just ask Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
or as Steven Wright asked:

"If you are travelling in a car at the speed of light and you turn your lights on, does anything happen?"

pj

Reaction Score
UConn's profile is actually similar to Nebraska's. It looks good if you include the medical center in Farmington, but Nebraska would have looked better if you include their medical center in Omaha.

UConn is upgrading its research but it is still marginal in terms of AAU criteria. I don't think academics/research will be a barrier to B1G membership but it's not a selling point either.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have guy pissing away money under the guise of researching "time-travel"? I think that makes UConn look stupid.
Hey, when he succeeds in talking Hathaway out of hiring Pasqualoni it will be money well spent!

Reaction Score
Wow, that was fascinating. What show/channel is that from?

It's called "Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking" on the discovery channel, it explains everything from time travel to the possibility of aliens, It's a really interesting series I watched a couple of episodes last summer.

Reaction Score
Louisville. He's taking a shot at the ACC.

UofL doesn't want in the B1G - their dream conference is the SEC. Until then (or the super conferences happen) we are content to be in the ACC.

Unless the Big12 has a better offer...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's called "Into The Universe with Stephen Hawking" on the discovery channel, it explains everything from time travel to the possibility of aliens, It's a really interesting series I watched a couple of episodes last summer.

Good call. I always screw it up between Discovery and Science channels. Was the alien portion the one that was done with Professor Michio Kaku, talking about the possibility of alien life on the Jupiter moon of Europa? If so, I could listen to that guy (and Prof. Neil Tyson DeGrasse) talk for weeks about science; they are both that good.

Okay, back to Barry Alvarez and whatever #$k he thinks he has to say about something... ;)

oyj5obfw5nrjiqhtylp9.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think I remember seeing the film on the Science Channel (I always mess up the Science Channel and Discovery, but I think it was the former). I love seeing stuff like that, although it makes me feel really small and insignificant in the scheme of the universe....kinda like my ex-girlfriend...:eek:

I watched this show the other night on the science chan, it was good stuff! I loved the way Einstein was cast off from Germany to the U.S. by the German Science community, on account of his controversial theories. A move that ultimately ended up making us the most powerful country on the planet w/ "the bomb". The funny thing is, the Germans never came close to producing the bomb!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
From what I understand the Germans came very close. There even has been suggestion that intentional delays by their scientists (to prevent Hitler from getting that weapon) played a major role in our beating them to the punch.

Reaction Score
From what I understand the Germans came very close. There even has been suggestion that intentional delays by their scientists (to prevent Hitler from getting that weapon) played a major role in our beating them to the punch.

I heard the same thing regarding the race to beat the Germans, but the show I was referencing said just the opposite so that's what I was referring to. I'm sure all the German science documents we captured we're instantly classified, so who knows what the truth really was. All I know is that I'm a big fan of Einstein! I'm glad he was on our side!!!!!

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Fair enough.

I saw a reenactment (I believe on the history channel) a number of years ago of Leo Szilard (sp?) visiting a vacationing Einstein, convincing AE to write FDR on the importance of the US beating Germany to a working bomb. Evidently at that time few in science believed that an atomic reaction could produce much power. Szilard had developed the ideas of fission and an ensuing chain reaction and had to convince Einstein that a) such a bomb could be produced and b) it was vital to world peace that Hitler not be the first to have such a bomb.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Fair enough.

I saw a reenactment (I believe on the history channel) a number of years ago of Leo Szilard (sp?) visiting a vacationing Einstein, convincing AE to write FDR on the importance of the US beating Germany to a working bomb. Evidently at that time few in science believed that an atomic reaction could produce much power. Szilard had developed the ideas of fission and an ensuing chain reaction and had to convince Einstein that a) such a bomb could be produced and b) it was vital to world peace that Hitler not be the first to have such a bomb.

Also, there were arguably much more important people involved than Einstein when it came to the atomic bomb. Namely, Fermi and the Oppenheimer brothers (more notably, Robert):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Oppenheimer

Reaction Score
UofL doesn't want in the B1G - their dream conference is the SEC. Until then (or the super conferences happen) we are content to be in the ACC.

Unless the Big12 has a better offer...

As long as UK is in the SEC, Louisville will never be in the SEC.

Reaction Score
All time travel leads back to Dom Perno. Time to end this thread.

Reaction Score
As long as UK is in the SEC, Louisville will never be in the SEC.

I agree and honestly, the only reason to be in the SEC is for the stability that it would provide. The football side of it would be a consistent uphill climb and the basketball side of it sucks. The ACC is the perfect fit for both - you guys will get in - I have no doubt of that.

Reaction Score
They were kicked out by a committee headed by Big10 presidents. That committee tried to kick them out prior to their joining the Big10. In fact, the presidents rigged the vote against Nebraska by rigging to committee membership. It was a stacked deck. This all happened prior to Nebraska joining.

The popular Nebraska version of this story is that they were kicked out of the AAU by Texas as payback for leaving the Big 12:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-from-the-aau-reprisal-for-leaving-the-big-12

http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_5803ce6b-6c97-56b5-8f5d-2683353381d8.html

Reaction Score
The popular Nebraska version of this story is that they were kicked out of the AAU by Texas as payback for leaving the Big 12:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-from-the-aau-reprisal-for-leaving-the-big-12

http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_5803ce6b-6c97-56b5-8f5d-2683353381d8.html

I don't care about the popular incorrect story. I care about the story reported by the Chronicle of Higher Ed. through emails of the people involved. Graham Spanier, former Pres. at PSU and former Pres. at Nebraska, told the Pres. of Nebraska that Wisconsin and Michigan had conspired to kick them out, and that his attempts at resistance with other B10 Pres. inside the AAU had lost out. Michigan was the head of the committee. When it realized it didn't have the votes to kick Nebraska out (prior to Nebraska's B10 invitation) it dissolved the committee--then waited an entire year to reconstitute that committee with enough bought off votes to kick out Nebraska. The Texas story is entirely incorrect since all of this was going on when Nebraska was still inside the B12.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say it was Louisville. Less likely but possible va tech.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda
Fun idea I heard, UConn to B12 & they agree to play 2 home games/year at MetLife Stadium (NYJ/NYG home). Networks would love NYC exposure.

Is your source on this media or B12?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda
Fun idea I heard, UConn to B12 & they agree to play 2 home games/year at MetLife Stadium (NYJ/NYG home). Networks would love NYC exposure.

Is your source on this media or B12?

Figure, you rotate Texas and Oklahoma...but then who else? Okie State...WVU?

I would take this in an absolute heartbeat. Anything and I mean, literally anything, to get our foot in the door.

That all being said, there is no way this is true and probably just this TuxedoYoda guy trying to rile us up after we busted his balls about saying Grant of Rights in every post.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Figure, you rotate Texas and Oklahoma...but then who else? Okie State...WVU?

I would take this in an absolute heartbeat. Anything and I mean, literally anything, to get our foot in the door.

I'd take FSU and Clemson too. We could put up a big number on Clemson, even with George D. calling plays....

Reaction Score
The suggestion of UConn > B12 has also been put out there by one of your own: Guy Jones. According to some that I read on this board, Guy Jones has a pretty good historical track record.

In the recent past, Jones claims some interesting schools to the B12, including: UConn, Florida State, North Carolina, Duke, Clemson, and, of all schools, San Diego State.

In recent days, however, Jones has watered down the foregoing claim by saying that UConn would be invited next into the ACC if another ACC school abandoned ship.

Due to the vagaries of expansion (changing minds, etc.), it is not surprising for claims, then accurate, to become inaccurate over a short period of time.

Bottom line is that your President is undoubtedly correct: UConn is a major player and will land in a good spot before all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom