Which university was turned down for Big 10 due to "academics" according to Wisc. AD Alvarez? | The Boneyard

Which university was turned down for Big 10 due to "academics" according to Wisc. AD Alvarez?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“That they would go into a league somewhere on the east coast. By doing that, it keeps us in the northeast corridor.”

Alvarez added one other school was interested in joining the Big Ten but the league presidents were not interested because of the team’s academic profile.

He did not identify that school.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/182573751.html

If Alvarez is telling the truth, which school? What is a bit hard to believe is that only one school other than RU and MD were interested in the Big 10. There are a list of schools a mile long a mile deep.

Still, which is the school that the presidents were not interested in due to the school's academic profile?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
“That they would go into a league somewhere on the east coast. By doing that, it keeps us in the northeast corridor.”

Alvarez added one other school was interested in joining the Big Ten but the league presidents were not interested because of the team’s academic profile.

If Alvarez is telling the truth, which school? What is a bit hard to believe is that only one school other than RU and MD were interested in the Big 10. There are a list of schools a mile long a mile deep.

Still, which is the school that the presidents were not interested in due to the school's academic profile?
I think we all like to think everyone wants into BIG, but its probably not true for most of the southern schools or Notre Dame! It's not us as we are a target school for academics and footprint but not a real keeper for football - that's what hurts us.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The team's academic profile or the school's?

This is a no-win situation for UConn. Either we tried to join and were rejected, or we didn't try to join which drives the question - why didn't we try to join?

There is a third option which is he is full of and trying to keep up the charade of academics and conference realignment.

Reaction Score
The list of teams wanting into the Big 10-UConn, USF, Louisville, Cincy, Temple, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, KState, Syracuse, Pitt, and the entire MAC, CUSA, MWC conferences.

UConn has a stronger academic profile than many big 10 schools (iowa, nebraska, purdue, mich state, Indiana) and is on par with MD and Rutgers. AAU is somewhat of a canard since Oregon and Iowa State are both in it due to the fact that they were around in the early 1900's and pretty much no other reason. UConn would be right in the middle of the big 10 academically.

My guess Louisville, since they're not in a current footprint state.

Reaction Score

Nebraska is not an AAU school and Uconn has done huge research improvements in facilities and staff in Farmington. Uconn will be one of the leading stem cell research universities. I guess they can use any reason they want but Uconn is ranked higher than Purdue and some other BIG universities including Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank mentioned FSU's recent interest in the Big10... I could see them getting turned down by the Big10.
If the school had a higher academic status, it would be a no-brainer...

I don't think Uconn was the school.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank mentioned FSU's recent interest in the Big10... I could see them getting turned down by the Big10.
If the school had a higher academic status, it would be a no-brainer...

I don't think Uconn was the school.

Chip Brown (I know, I know) of Orangebloods is where Frank got that info. Chip said FSU had reached out directly to the Big 10. Frank seemed to trust his info (which makes me think he had someone else privately confirm the info because I wouldn't trust Chip).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have guy pissing away money under the guise of researching "time-travel"? I think that makes UConn look stupid.

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have guy pissing away money under the guise of researching "time-travel"? I think that makes UConn look stupid.

Actually no. It's very valuable research.

Reaction Score
If there was a school pushing seriously enough to get into the B1G that was being discussed, more than just some faxes and unreturned phone calls or else it wouldn't be worth Alvarez's time to mention it, my guess would be Cincinnati. UL likely was putting all of their eggs into the ACC basket and playing the B12 angle as the bait to get the ACC bid, not wasting their time on a fools mission with the B1G. Cincinnati is in the B1G footprint, they're just playing every possible option at this point for the heck of it, my money would be on them.

Reaction Score
They were when they joined the Big 10.

They were kicked out by a committee headed by Big10 presidents. That committee tried to kick them out prior to their joining the Big10. In fact, the presidents rigged the vote against Nebraska by rigging to committee membership. It was a stacked deck. This all happened prior to Nebraska joining.

Reaction Score
If there was a school pushing seriously enough to get into the B1G that was being discussed, more than just some faxes and unreturned phone calls or else it wouldn't be worth Alvarez's time to mention it, my guess would be Cincinnati. UL likely was putting all of their eggs into the ACC basket and playing the B12 angle as the bait to get the ACC bid, not wasting their time on a fools mission with the B1G. Cincinnati is in the B1G footprint, they're just playing every possible option at this point for the heck of it, my money would be on them.

Perhaps. But Cinci has a snowballs chance in hell with the BiG.
My impression is that Ohio St views Cinci as a junior college. I cannot ever imagine they'd want to be associated with them.

Reaction Score
The team's academic profile or the school's?

This is a no-win situation for UConn. Either we tried to join and were rejected, or we didn't try to join which drives the question - why didn't we try to join?

There is a third option which is he is full of **** and trying to keep up the charade of academics and conference realignment.
Don't lose sleep over your second option. The B1G knows they can gladly scoop us up anytime they want.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Actually no. It's very valuable research.

It's certainly valid research. Whether or not it's valuable remains to be seen. But I know exactly what your saying.

For Waquoit and others, the idea of time travel is one of the basic premises of Einstein's relativity theory (hence, Einstein's picture in one of the links). Scientists who follow the theory basically say that if you were to ride on a train around the circumference of the world at the speed of light over and over again, you would exit the train after 10 minutes and you would be viewing the world perhaps a hundred years after you got on the train. Your molecular processes slow down while everything else is happening at "regular speed".

It's weird, mind-boggling #hit, and perhaps that's why I don't buy it, but Einstein was right about a few things over the course of his career...

EDIT: Dr. Stephen Hawking tells the story better than I do. Here it is:

Reaction Score
It's certainly valid research. Whether or not it's valuable remains to be seen. But I know exactly what your saying.

For Waquoit and others, the idea of time travel is one of the basic premises of Einstein's relativity theory (hence, Einstein's picture in one of the links). Scientists who follow the theory basically say that if you were to ride on a train around the circumference of the world at the speed of light over and over again, you would exit the train after 10 minutes and you would be viewing the world perhaps a hundred years after you got on the train. Your molecular processes slow down while everything else is happening at "regular speed".

It's weird, mind-boggling #hit, and perhaps that's why I don't buy it, but Einstein was right about a few things over the course of his career...

EDIT: Dr. Stephen Hawking tells the story better than I do. Here it is:

Wow, that was fascinating. What show/channel is that from?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow, that was fascinating. What show/channel is that from?

I think I remember seeing the film on the Science Channel (I always mess up the Science Channel and Discovery, but I think it was the former). I love seeing stuff like that, although it makes me feel really small and insignificant in the scheme of the universe....kinda like my ex-girlfriend...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom