Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players. | The Boneyard

Which team has the most talented roster in terms of top 8 players.

Reaction Score
Let's just look at top 8 players. I wanted to make this a poll but struggled mightily. I actually think it's UCLA.

South CarolinaUSCUConnUCLANotre DameTexasNC StateOklahomaLSUIowa StateTCU
Ashlyn WatkinsRayah MarshallJana El AfyLauren BettsKate KovalTaylor JonesCaitlin WeimerRaegan BeersSa'Myah SmithAudi CooksSedona Prince
Chloe KittsKiki IriafenIce BradyTimea GardenerMaddy WestbeldAliyah MooreMadison HayesSkylar VannAneesa MorrowAddy BrownAgnes Emma Nnopu
Bree HallJuju WatkinsPaige BueckersGabriela JaquezSonia CitronMadison BookerZoe BrooksSahara WilliamsMikaylah WilliamsLily HansfordMaddie Connors
Te-hina PaopoaKennedy SmithAzzi FuddLondynn JonesOlivia MilesLaila PheliaAziaha JamesPayton VerhulstFlau'jae JohnsonKenzie WareHailey Van Lith
Raven JohnsonTalia Von OelhoffenKaitlyn ChenKiki RiceHannah HidalgoRori HarmonSaniya RiversLexY KeysKailyn GilbertEmily RyanDonyvan Hunter
MiLaysia FulwileyKayleigh HeckelKK ArnoldJaniah BarkerCassandra ProsperShay HolleZamereya JonesAubrey JoensShayeanne Day-WilsonSydney HarrisMaddie Scherr
Tessa JohnsonAvery HowellSarah StrongCharlise Ledger- WalkerLiz KarlinJordan LeeMadison CoxNaveah TotLast-Tear PoaKelsey JoensAaliyah Roberson
Jocelyn EdwardsDominique DariusAshlynn ShadeKendall DudleyLiatu KingKyla OdacreLacie Steele

Liz Scott​

Jersey WolfenbargerArianna JacksonUna Jovanovich

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's just look at top 8 players. I wanted to make this a poll but struggled mightily. I actually think it's UCLA.

South CarolinaUSCUConnUCLANotre DameTexasNC StateOklahomaLSUIowa StateTCU
Ashlyn WatkinsRayah MarshallJana El AfyLauren BettsKate KovalTaylor JonesCaitlin WeimerRaegan BeersSa'Myah SmithAudi CooksSedona Prince
Chloe KitsKiki IriafenIce BradyTimea GardenerMaddy WestbeldAliyah MooreMadison HayesSkylar VannAneesa MorrowAddy BrownAgnes Emma Nnopu
Bree HallJuju WatkinsPaige BueckersGabriela JaquezSonia CitronMadison BookerZoe BrooksSahara WilliamsMikaylah WilliamsLily HansfordMaddie Connors
Te-hina PaopoaKennedy SmithAzzi FuddLondynn JonesOlivia MilesLaila PheliaAziaha JamesPayton VerhulstFlau'jae JohnsonKenzie WareHailey Van Lith
Raven JohnsonTalia Von OelhoffenKaitlyn ChenKiki RiceHannah HidalgoRori HarmonSaniya RiversLexY KeysKailyn GilbertEmily RyanDonyvan Hunter
MiLaysia FulwileyKayleigh HeckelKK ArnoldJaniah BarkerCassandra ProsperShay HolleZamereya JonesAubrey JoensShayeanne Day-WilsonSydney HarrisMaddie Scherr
Tessa JohnsonAvery HowellSarah StrongCharlise Ledger- WalkerLiz KarlinJordan LeeMadison CoxNaveah TotLast-Tear PoaKelsey JoensAaliyah Roberson
Jocelyn EdwardsDominique DariusAshlynn ShadeKendall DudleyLiatu KingKyla OdacreLacie Steele

Liz Scott​

Jersey WolfenbargerArianna JacksonUna Jovanovich

Curious as to why you chose UCLA. There are arguments that favour several of these teams. Knowing how you based your decision would help provide context.

Reaction Score
What are the criteria we are basing our findings? Are we looking at just these 11 teams are looking at other squads? Why TCU and not, oh say Baylor or West Virginia? Just wondering because TCU is not on any radar, yet.

Reaction Score
This is just random, but the rosters of the first 7 teams in the table starting from the left look really good.

Looking more closely, SC still looks the best to me, though that’s because a list of 8 is not sufficient to capture the key talent on Dawn’s roster.

After SC it’s a bit of a logjam with ND UConn USCw Texas NC St and UCLA. All have question marks, like having to rely on newbies or players returning to injury or integrating overlapping talent and in some cases all three. However it shakes out, this is looking to be tremendous season for WCBB.

Reaction Score
So the teams in the table for the most part are from two list: ESPN's way too early top 25 and World Exposure Reports Way too early top 25. I actually just wanted to do the top 10 so I should probably remove tcu. I was mostly in agreement with ESPN's list but swapped Baylor and Oklahoma. World exposure report had Duke in their top 10 but I just didn't think their rotation was comparable to the other teams though I like their roster and believe in Kara Lawson

Of the elite 8 teams last year, just raw numbers, those teams had about 9 players averaging double figure minutes. But obviously raw numbers doesn't account for injuries or suspensions. So a team like LSU had 9 including Katarie Poole and SaMyah Smith. I think both would've been in the rotation if healthy but maybe Del Rosario wouldn't have been. Similarly UConn had about 10 but it's hard to gauge how much Ashlyn Shade would've played if Azzi and Caroline were healthy. Iowa and nc state mostly played 7. So I think top 8 is a reasonable rotation to compare teams.

Lastly of the teams listed, UCLA had the most double figure scorers in their top 8. I know scoring isn't everything, but honestly their 8 jumped out to me more than any others.

Reaction Score
This is just random, but the rosters of the first 7 teams in the table starting from the left look really good.

Looking more closely, SC still looks the best to me, though that’s because a list of 8 is not sufficient to capture the key talent on Dawn’s roster.

After SC it’s a bit of a logjam with ND UConn USCw Texas NC St and UCLA. All have question marks, like having to rely on newbies or players returning to injury or integrating overlapping talent and in some cases all three. However it shakes out, this is looking to be tremendous season for WCBB.
Me too. I wonder if they'll be a one hit wonder. I also wonder how old JuJu is and when she can leave. She's ready for the w now.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be controversial here and say UCLA has far and away the most talent and Notre Dame has the most talented top 4.

South Carolina has best cohesive talent in the sense that their top 8 play well together and their individual talents make their collective talent better.

UConn and USC are a mystery to me. A lot of known individual talent but no idea how any of them will play together as a unit, UConn due to all injuries and USC due to so many new players.

And then Texas, Oklahoma, NC State and LSU are all in the same tier to me, 1-2 elite players surrounded by role players which might ultimately make them a better team than some of the teams above them despite not necessarily having depth of elite talent.

Reaction Score
So the teams in the table for the most part are from two list: ESPN's way too early top 25 and World Exposure Reports Way too early top 25. I actually just wanted to do the top 10 so I should probably remove tcu. I was mostly in agreement with ESPN's list but swapped Baylor and Oklahoma. World exposure report had Duke in their top 10 but I just didn't think their rotation was comparable to the other teams though I like their roster and believe in Kara Lawson

Of the elite 8 teams last year, just raw numbers, those teams had about 9 players averaging double figure minutes. But obviously raw numbers doesn't account for injuries or suspensions. So a team like LSU had 9 including Katarie Poole and SaMyah Smith. I think both would've been in the rotation if healthy but maybe Del Rosario wouldn't have been. Similarly UConn had about 10 but it's hard to gauge how much Ashlyn Shade would've played if Azzi and Caroline were healthy. Iowa and nc state mostly played 7. So I think top 8 is a reasonable rotation to compare teams.

Lastly of the teams listed, UCLA had the most double figure scorers in their top 8. I know scoring isn't everything, but honestly their 8 jumped out to me more than any others.
Oh cool. Thanks for breaking it down. Appreciate you.

Reaction Score

I agree basically with the first statement. I think the first 6 teams are super close talent-wise, and SC is the only team with a lot of continuity, returning 7 of their top 8. Even though this sounds like blasphemy because they've been so dominant up front in recent years, I actually think UCLA has a better front court than SC. I also think Kiki Rice is a bit underrated and due for a big year.

I'm going to be controversial here and say UCLA has far and away the most talent and Notre Dame has the most talented top 4.

South Carolina has best cohesive talent in the sense that their top 8 play well together and their individual talents make their collective talent better.

UConn and USC are a mystery to me. A lot of known individual talent but no idea how any of them will play together as a unit, UConn due to all injuries and USC due to so many new players.

And then Texas, Oklahoma, NC State and LSU are all in the same tier to me, 1-2 elite players surrounded by role players which might ultimately make them a better team than some of the teams above them despite not necessarily having depth of elite talent.
Agreed on UCLA. I think Texas is sort've flying under the radar, but I get it because Rori is coming off an injury. She had her surgery in January.

I think USC is interesting. Until I listed their players I didn't realize how big a role their freshman r gonna play. But I really like their freshman so I think they r gonna be really good.

Reaction Score
I agree basically with the first statement. I think the first 6 teams are super close talent-wise, and SC is the only team with a lot of continuity, returning 7 of their top 8. Even though this sounds like blasphemy because they've been so dominant up front in recent years, I actually think UCLA has a better front court than SC. I also think Kiki Rice is a bit underrated and due for a big year.

Agreed on UCLA. I think Texas is sort've flying under the radar, but I get it because Rori is coming off an injury. She had her surgery in January.

I think USC is interesting. Until I listed their players I didn't realize how big a role their freshman r gonna play. But I really like their freshman so I think they r gonna be really good.
Yea USC is interesting. I'm curious how Juju and Kiki play together. Kiki played phenomenally last year imo in large part because Stanford lost so much talent to graduation and the transfer portal and the only real player on her level left was always in foul trouble. She had to take over games because if she didn't they'd lose. I'm curious how she'll play surrounded by more talent again and alongside Marshall in the frontcourt who won't space the floor the same way Brink did. Similarly with Juju, she'll have a lot more options than last year and how that changes the way she plays will be interesting.

I've never been super impressed by Talia but maybe she'll surprise me. I have a feeling everyone is overrating the individual talent on the Oregon State team last year as I think that was a team that was a great example of buying into a system that made the whole much greater than the sum of its parts but, again, maybe they'll surprise me.

Reaction Score
I actually think UCLA has a better front court than SC. I also think Kiki Rice is a bit underrated and due for a big year.
I have less confidence in Kiki than you do. She is a talented player, to be sure, but I’m not convinced she’s ready to lead the team. I’m ready to be surprised though. As for SC, I am much more impressed by Dawn’s backcourt which has a couple of very steady veterans in Raven and Bree, and a couple of very impressive rising sophomores in Milaysia and Tessa. You may be right about the frontcourt comparison. Betts made a a lot of progress last season and SC has no compelling matchup for her this year. Watkins is more dynamic than anyone on UCLA, but it remains to be seen if she’s ready to shoulder the full load for Dawn. Here too, I am eager to see how she does.

USC is interesting. I'm curious how Juju and Kiki play together. Kiki played phenomenally last year imo in large part because Stanford lost so much talent to graduation and the transfer portal and the only real player on her level left was always in foul trouble. She had to take over games because if she didn't they'd lose. I'm curious how she'll play surrounded by more talent again and alongside Marshall in the frontcourt who won't space the floor the same way Brink did. Similarly with Juju, she'll have a lot more options than last year and how that changes the way she plays will be interesting.

I've never been super impressed by Talia but maybe she'll surprise me.
I share both your questions. Now that Kiki has unlocked next level talents will she so easily fit them in with Marshall and, above all, with Juju who’s had next level talent for a lot longer. If they both flourish with each other, USC will dominate and a lot of question marks about Coach Gottlieb will be erased.

I also share your sense of Talia. She was not consistently great at Ore St, though she was sometimes great. But even on her so-so nights I think she’s an upgrade over Padilla.

In the end, this is Juju’s team. She carried them last season and this is what she knows how to do. That wasn’t enough to get past the elite eight and I wonder what lessons she took from that. Juju is certainly capable of making everyone around her better. Now it just remains to do it. This is the primary difference between her and Paige. If she can do this — make the team an extension of her will — she’ll have unlocked the ultimate next level talent. I’ll be rooting for her.

Reaction Score
At the end of the season it appeared that South Carolina was still at the top, but that if a couple of things happened, Uconn might be 1/2 with them and then a next tier of a few teams. We got Sarah but missed out on Beers or Iriafen, then for the most part, the other strong contenders got even better. Every one of the top 7 in my mind got at least one major portal addition, and several had two.

I have the first 6 teams listed plus LSU as my obvious 7, and I think the teams after that are still very good but a notch down. The talent level on those teams was very good before, and exceptional after the portal and except for SC which i expect to remain near the top, the order of the next 6 could be any combination, all of them are roughly equal.

As for the next tier, I think there is a significant gap, and I would be surprised if the ultimate champion didn't come from what I consider the top 7.

Reaction Score
Positionally, I don't think South Carolina is #1 in any category. With Cardoso gone I do not believe we will have the #1 interior group like this past season. With that said I think we have some of the most experienced depth and I think we are beyond exceptional at each position. Both our first team and second team squads could be top 7 in and of themselves. We may not have the best guard or best forward in the nation but we do have one or more top 10 positional players at pretty much all 5 positions, so collectively I think South Carolina is #1.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Marquette grad and incoming Notre Dame grad student Liz Karlen gave an interview to an ND-related media outlet and said her goal in transferring was to play for a team that had a chance of winning a national championship. Karlen thought there were 'seven or eight" teams that had a chance of doing so and her final three were all in that category (They are in this graphic, too.).

So, how do I think Liz Karlen and the Irish will do? I like ND's overall depth and think KK Bransford and Emma Risch will also get playing time for Coach Niele Ivey and the Fighting Irish. Bransford always seems to find herself in the mix as a tough, two-way guard and Risch -- who missed most of her frosh year -- can shoot from distance and drive for pull-up jumpers. The key for Ivey is to integrate Karlen and Liatu King, the injured players (Miles, Prosper, Risch) and the newcomer, center Kate Koval.

However, she's got a huge crutch to help: Hannah Hidalgo, Sonia Citron and Maddy Westbeld are all back. I've got no doubt that Miles will come back on all cylinders and get along with Hidalgo to create a backcourt that drives and dishes and steals (Miles is adept at picking pockets and rebounding). Plus, Citron will be the glue.

How fast will Koval acclimate to the college game? That and the team meshing are the Irish biggest challenges in my mind. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Marquette grad and incoming Notre Dame grad student Liz Karlen gave an interview to an ND-related media outlet and said her goal in transferring was to play for a team that had a chance of winning a national championship. Karlen thought there were 'seven or eight" teams that had a chance of doing so and her final three were all in that category (They are in this graphic, too.).

So, how do I think Liz Karlen and the Irish will do? I like ND's overall depth and think KK Bransford and Emma Risch will also get playing time for Coach Niele Ivey and the Fighting Irish. Bransford always seems to find herself in the mix as a tough, two-way guard and Risch -- who missed most of her frosh year -- can shoot from distance and drive for pull-up jumpers. The key for Ivey is to integrate Karlen and Liatu King, the injured players (Miles, Prosper, Risch) and the newcomer, center Kate Koval.

However, she's got a huge crutch to help: Hannah Hidalgo, Sonia Citron and Maddy Westbeld are all back. I've got no doubt that Miles will come back on all cylinders and get along with Hidalgo to create a backcourt that drives and dishes and steals (Miles is adept at picking pockets and rebounding). Plus, Citron will be the glue.

How fast will Koval acclimate to the college game? That and the team meshing are the Irish biggest challenges in my mind. Stay tuned.
It's going to be a good year for the Irish. Do you have any guesses about a starting lineup and the main rotation?

My guess would be:
  • In November, before the really tough games -- Olivia Hannah Soni Maddy Kate, with Emma, KK, Liatu, Cass and Liz as the primary rotation.
  • By January, I have a feeling the starters may change, depending on Olivia's conditioning, to -- Hannah, Soni, Cass, Maddy Liatu, with Olivia, KK, Emma, Kate and Liz off the bench.
The other question for me is how long Niele can maintain a 10 deep rotation. She's sometimes done it for longer than most coaches.

Reaction Score
I know we are probably still a bit away from schedule releases but I like that a lot of these teams are playing each other. I'm not as high on the acc this upcoming year so it's great Notre Dame will play UConn and Texas. I think Notre Dame is up there in terms of talent. I think it was great to see Westbeld and Citron be really aggressive last year. They both r so skilled in their position. I think my question is how does that look this year with so many other pieces.

Positionally, I don't think South Carolina is #1 in any category. With Cardoso gone I do not believe we will have the #1 interior group like this past season. With that said I think we have some of the most experienced depth and I think we are beyond exceptional at each position. Both our first team and second team squads could be top 7 in and of themselves. We may not have the best guard or best forward in the nation but we do have one or more top 10 positional players at pretty much all 5 positions, so collectively I think South Carolina is #1.
Yeah, SC definitely has great depth. It sounds wild to say the second team would be a top 7 lineup. I feel like Husky fans say this a lot as well. But looking at the second five of SC it's really good. They are so young so it kinda depends on growth but I'm a fan of pretty much all of them. I think Fulwiley, Tessa, Edwards, and Feigin start and probably average double figures for 90 percent of teams. They would be Top 15 for sure.

Reaction Score
Yeah, SC definitely has great depth. It sounds wild to say the second team would be a top 7 lineup. I feel like Husky fans say this a lot as well. But looking at the second five of SC it's really good. They are so young so it kinda depends on growth but I'm a fan of pretty much all of them. I think Fulwiley, Tessa, Edwards, and Feigin start and probably average double figures for 90 percent of teams. They would be Top 15 for sure.
I wonder if PaoPao will start this year ahead of Tessa.

Reaction Score
I know we are probably still a bit away from schedule releases but I like that a lot of these teams are playing each other. I'm not as high on the acc this upcoming year so it's great Notre Dame will play UConn and Texas. I think Notre Dame is up there in terms of talent. I think it was great to see Westbeld and Citron be really aggressive last year. They both r so skilled in their position. I think my question is how does that look this year with so many other pieces.

Going off of last year's depth chart and filling in Dauda for Cardoso to make things easy...

1st team:
F - Dauda
F - Kitts
G - Hall
G - Paopao/R. Johnson
PG - R. Johnson/Paopao

2nd team:
F - Feagin
F - Watkins
G - T. Johnson
G - Fulwiley
PG - McDaniels?

That leaves Edwards, Tac and Walker unaccounted for.

Honestly though, I think no player is a good bet to remain on the 1st team...maybe Raven. Fulwiley is going to be challenging Paopao and R. Johnson for a starting spot and T. Johnson is going to be challenging Hall. And then it's just going to be a fistfight for the two starting forward positions between all of that talent.

Reaction Score
Going off of last year's depth chart and filling in Dauda for Cardoso to make things easy...

1st team:
F - Dauda
F - Kitts
G - Hall
G - Paopao/R. Johnson
PG - R. Johnson/Paopao

2nd team:
F - Feagin
F - Watkins
G - T. Johnson
G - Fulwiley
PG - McDaniels?

That leaves Edwards, Tac and Walker unaccounted for.

Honestly though, I think no player is a good bet to remain on the 1st team...maybe Raven. Fulwiley is going to be challenging Paopao and R. Johnson for a starting spot and T. Johnson is going to be challenging Hall. And then it's just going to be a fistfight for the two starting forward positions between all of that talent.
I think Pao Pao will rarely play the point. Raven will start and be backed up by Fulwiley. Paopao will stay at SG almost exclusively. Tessa will be her primary backup. Both Milaysia and Tessa will also get time backing up Bree on the wing. Maddy? She's probably gonna get only mop up this year - I think. But i might also think about redshirting her to be safe with that knee.

My question is: Will we also see a BIGS getting time on the Wing? Dauda? Kitts? Edwards? Dauda's 3 point percentage is better than Raven's! I could see a 3 big lineup on occasions. Maybe against UCLA? I guess much would depend on the ability to guard smaller wings out on the perimeter.

The bigs will rotate at 4/5. I don't see Dauda as the starting post. (But I certainly missed on Kitts last year) It's gonna be hard to find minutes for Joyce, but I think we gotta' do it. Sakima is just . . . well . . . a beloved teammate. Adhel . . . is a question mark coming off two surgeries. Edwards is a promising but unproven frosh. Still, That leaves freakish athlete Watkins. Workhorse Kitts. Deeply experienced Feagin who has always had the offensive skill but developed dependable defense last year.

200 minutes ain't enough.

Reaction Score
I think Pao Pao will rarely play the point. Raven will start and be backed up by Fulwiley. Paopao will stay at SG almost exclusively. Tessa will be her primary backup. Both Milaysia and Tessa will also get time backing up Bree on the wing. Maddy? She's probably gonna get only mop up this year - I think. But i might also think about redshirting her to be safe with that knee.

My question is: Will we also see a BIGS getting time on the Wing? Dauda? Kitts? Edwards? Dauda's 3 point percentage is better than Raven's! I could see a 3 big lineup on occasions. Maybe against UCLA? I guess much would depend on the ability to guard smaller wings out on the perimeter.

The bigs will rotate at 4/5. I don't see Dauda as the starting post. (But I certainly missed on Kitts last year) It's gonna be hard to find minutes for Joyce, but I think we gotta' do it. Sakima is just . . . well . . . a beloved teammate. Adhel . . . is a question mark coming off two surgeries. Edwards is a promising but unproven frosh. Still, That leaves freakish athlete Watkins. Workhorse Kitts. Deeply experienced Feagin who has always had the offensive skill but developed dependable defense last year.

200 minutes ain't enough.
I just think Tessa will take up a more prominent role on the team this year. Will she start right away? Maybe not. But I suspect Dawn will put a higher priority on developing a promising sophomore over finding minutes for a 5th year senior. PaoPao will get minutes, too, of course. But they may not be starting minutes all season long.

Reaction Score
Yea USC is interesting. I'm curious how Juju and Kiki play together. Kiki played phenomenally last year imo in large part because Stanford lost so much talent to graduation and the transfer portal and the only real player on her level left was always in foul trouble. She had to take over games because if she didn't they'd lose. I'm curious how she'll play surrounded by more talent again and alongside Marshall in the frontcourt who won't space the floor the same way Brink did. Similarly with Juju, she'll have a lot more options than last year and how that changes the way she plays will be interesting.

I've never been super impressed by Talia but maybe she'll surprise me. I have a feeling everyone is overrating the individual talent on the Oregon State team last year as I think that was a team that was a great example of buying into a system that made the whole much greater than the sum of its parts but, again, maybe they'll surprise me.
JuJu and Kiki don't play together

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom