Which schools benefited the most from the portal? | The Boneyard

Which schools benefited the most from the portal?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Chucky Creme does not share the Boneyard's expectation of Lou's impact on UCONN. for this coming season. He slots her into the 29th position.
I could complain about a half dozen transfers from mid major schools he ranks higher. But I’ll just focus on Saniya Rivers, who comes in at #6 after having accomplished next to nothing at SC. She’s got nothing to recommend her but her Hoopgurlz ranking in high school but somehow she’s obviously 23 places more promising than Lou.

Reaction Score
I could complain about a half dozen transfers from mid major schools he ranks higher. But I’ll just focus on Saniya Rivers, who comes in at #6 after having accomplished next to nothing at SC. She’s got nothing to recommend her but her Hoopgurlz ranking in high school but somehow she’s obviously 23 places more promising than Lou.
Yeah rivers did absolutely nothing to be deserving of the spot . Maybe they are weighting in potential of what she "Could " possibly do to improve the team , but overall the same rules should be applied here .

Reaction Score
Yeah rivers did absolutely nothing to be deserving of the spot . Maybe they are weighting in potential of what she "Could " possibly do to improve the team , but overall the same rules should be applied here .
To be sure, the “spot” isn’t really prized real estate. It’s just some guy’s estimates. But Lou has a record of achievement at least comparable to a bunch of folks ranked way higher and Rivers does not. Shouldn’t their fans be annoyed for the same reason?

Reaction Score
If any team will benefit from the 2022 transfer portal it should be Virginia. Yes, Virginia only won 5 games last season and I would not expect to see them in the final four. But, they should improve significantly with Sam Brunellle and Alexia Smith. Also, don’t forget about Mir McClean who transferred just before the start of the 2022 second semester. Charlie appears to have limited his selections to include only the higher ranked teams that will benefit from the portal and should have titled his article as such.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We had this discussion over the Spring/Summer on the General board. In the spring, this banner was made ;)

ut champs.png

;)

Reaction Score
UCONN still has who is considered the BEST COACH in basketball ( "we have Diana, they don't"....."we have GENO, they don't")and that is the critical difference in who benefits most from transfers. Geno will get the best that is in any player on the team.That is GENO's way of coaching. I will be the first to say their are many great coaches in women's college basketball,but, there is only ONE GENO! GO HUSKIES!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Per Raoul's site, it was well over 1,300. Being in 29th position is even better considering.
Just a clarification. Of the 1300+ transfers in D1 WBB, only 1098 found a new home. The 200+ who did not were typically seniors/reserves who were not retained for a 5th season by their current team, and were hoping to hang on to another scholarship year anywhere else, thereby avoiding the inevitable requirement to get on with their life after college.

Reaction Score
Just a clarification. Of the 1300+ transfers in D1 WBB, only 1098 found a new home. The 200+ who did not were typically seniors/reserves who were not retained for a 5th season by their current team, and were hoping to hang on to another scholarship year anywhere else, thereby avoiding the inevitable requirement to get on with their life after college.
With the high number of transfers, that approximates the number of incoming freshmen each year, you could say a ranking of transfers might be roughly equivalent to the significance of high school rankings. By that logic #29 for Lou would be pretty good, but certainly not special by Uconn standards.

I do think Lou was underrated here and Bone Dogs points comparing the rating with Rivers is interesting. Rivers was worse than someone who just didn't get significant playing time and might fulfill their potential if given an opportunity. She got enough minutes for her stats to have some meaning, and those results were terrible. Not a little subpar, terrible as in way below average Division 1 player.

Do I think she will be that bad in the future? No, but when you have a first year that is as close to a complete bust as possible it raises significant doubts that she will ever be a positive contributor to a good program. She might be, and the standard deviation so to speak over what she becomes is wide, but it appears her transfer ranking is largely based on her ESPN high school rating.

Lou by comparison as a foreign player, probably was not rated by ESPN at all before coming to Fairfield. That lack of an official ESPN seal of approval probably hurts her in this rating. She also might be hurt by her anticipated role, since most projected her to be a good backup at Uconn. A good backup at Uconn might be better than a good starter at a lessor program, and a better player, but will not put up as impressive per game stats. Many of the players ahead of her might get more playing time or be more of a go to player on a less impressive team, but that doesn't necessarily make them a better player.

There are many different criteria you can use for this kind of a rating. One that I would argue in Lou's case is how important her addition was from the team's standpoint. At the time Uconn had only 4 players to cover 3 positions (1-3). Coming off a season where clearly 6 was not enough, because we sometimes had 3 out at the same time, this was clearly a major problem. We had to get a guard in the transfer portal and Lou filled a big need for a championship contender. Then when Paige got injured, we had to get another guard, the high school options for this year were gone, the portal candidates had made their decisions, and we pursued the only avenue left, and picked up Inez from abroad.

In terms of filling a serious need, with a proven performer we did very well with Lou. A player like Rivers might have more upside due to superior physical gifts, but if I was a betting man and the choice was who would have the better PER (player efficiency rating) for this season, I think I would pick Lou. Time will tell.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't know that Matharu had left Texas. She followed Vic there from Mississippi State, and now she's at Florida, her 3rd school.

Reaction Score
Portal activity is an indication of team need and second level recruiting. Witness Tenn. and L.S.U. The fact that U.Conn is 29th, is a confirmation of the depth and quality of the roster.
While correct, this needs to be put into the proper context. LSU is in its second year with Mulkey at the helm. She's rebuilding a program that didn't have much to work with from what Fargas had in place. Their situation will likely be very different in a few years.

Reaction Score
Portal activity is an indication of team need and second level recruiting. Witness Tenn. and L.S.U. The fact that U.Conn is 29th, is a confirmation of the depth and quality of the roster.
Aren’t there rules against recruiting transfers?

Reaction Score
For reference, this is last year's preseason rankings from ESPN.

2021-22 women's college basketball transfer rankings

Some hits, alot of misses.
Thanks. This was great to take a look at for reference. I think if they were to re-rank or do like a post season analysis, Louisville probably had the most success in the portal. Taylor M also was huge for Ohio State and helped really elevate them into a tournament team. Jaz Shelley was a bit of a surprise to me as well, how impactful she was last season. Obviously as a UConn fan I think Dorka was great and really vital seeing all the injuries we had last season.
I really do think Lou, especially in the absence of Paige will prove to be one of the steals of the portal. Similar to last year I think some teams went really heavy to the portal and as a result may have some players who struggle to get minutes (Arizona, Maryland, Florida).
I disagreed a lot with the rankings in this year's list, as I'm not sure how they came up with the placement of certain players, but it's a pretty comprehensive list.

sun

Reaction Score
A lot of transfer players listed are on teams that UConn will be playing this year, which means that Lou will be playing head to head against some of them.
I hope that Lou gets enough PT against these opponents to show her true value.
She should probably be ranked up there with Abby Meyers (MD) @ #18 & Sonya Morris (TX) @ #19.

Reaction Score
A lot of transfer players listed are on teams that UConn will be playing this year, which means that Lou will be playing head to head against some of them.
I hope that Lou gets enough PT against these opponents to show her true value.
She should probably be ranked up there with Abby Meyers (MD) @ #18 & Sonya Morris (TX) @ #19.

Do these rankings really matter though? The link @triaddukefan provided of the ESPN article from the 2021-2022 season indicates that a lot of these rankings ended up being bunk in the end.

As long as Lou's contributions helps UConn get to the Final Four, that's all that matters. The national championship matters more than outranking transfers who went to Maryland and Texas.

Reaction Score
While correct, this needs to be put into the proper context. LSU is in its second year with Mulkey at the helm. She's rebuilding a program that didn't have much to work with from what Fargas had in place. Their situation will likely be very different in a few years.
Jolly is only in her 4th season where she inherited a bunch of lazy players from Warlick , she's on track towards a revival . Mulkey is a Legendary Coach so her faster track should be expected.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
By July, lo and behold another strong contender emerged so.. :D

View attachment 79713

Nobody has more room to improve from the prior season with their transfer acquisitions than Duke. 4 new ones for the upcoming season (from programs like Oregon State and Georgia).

On the other hand, 9 transfer additions in 2021-22 (from programs such as Texas, Louisville, Baylor, Texas Tech, Syracuse, TCU, and Wisconsin) still couldn't mesh together to earn a post-season tournament invite. Sometimes, it really does come down to coaching.

Reaction Score
Nobody has more room to improve from the prior season with their transfer acquisitions than Duke. 4 new ones for the upcoming season (from programs like Oregon State and Georgia).

On the other hand, 9 transfer additions in 2021-22 (from programs such as Texas, Louisville, Baylor, Texas Tech, Syracuse, TCU, and Wisconsin) still couldn't mesh together to earn a post-season tournament invite. Sometimes, it really does come down to coaching.

Does Day-Wilson really count as a transfer? She decommitted as a 2021 recruit and never played for Syracuse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom