Which schools benefited the most from the portal? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which schools benefited the most from the portal?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Does Day-Wilson really count as a transfer? She decommitted as a 2021 recruit and never played for Syracuse.
We should actually count her. I was actually referring to Amaya Finklea-Guity.

Reaction Score
We should actually count her. I was actually referring to Amaya Finklea-Guity.
From my perspective I wouldn't. How can she be considered a transfer if she never played for the program? I get it from a paperwork standpoint, but I struggle with the transfer label in her situation.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
From my perspective I wouldn't. How can she be considered a transfer if she never played for the program? I get it from a paperwork standpoint, but I struggle with the transfer label in her situation.
Regardless, my original count did not include her.

sun

Reaction Score
I do think Lou was underrated here and Bone Dogs points comparing the rating with Rivers is interesting. Rivers was worse than someone who just didn't get significant playing time and might fulfill their potential if given an opportunity. She got enough minutes for her stats to have some meaning, and those results were terrible. Not a little subpar, terrible as in way below average Division 1 player.

Lou by comparison as a foreign player, probably was not rated by ESPN at all before coming to Fairfield. That lack of an official ESPN seal of approval probably hurts her in this rating.
I agree.
ESPN asks whether Lou's talent as MAAC POY can translate to the Big East & the national stage.
That and the fact that the MAAC conference was #25 in the NET rankings out of 32 WBB conferences is another major factor leading to her individual ranking being so low.
Fairfield's NET ranking was #102, and despite being the MAAC champions, they lost games to Rutgers, Yale, UMass & Siena among others.
As UConn's most experienced guard with 4 full years of PT, Lou will have a chip on her shoulder & extra pressure to prove herself.

NET WBB Conference Rankings 2021-2022 below:

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke doesn't have any on this list (the disrespect:mad:), but my non-biased view thinks we benefitted greatly in terms of positional need. Size, interior rebounding, and interior depth was added with 2 Oregon State, and 1 Tulane additions. Another wing who could provide scoring was added in our UGA transfer.

Do these rankings really matter though? The link @triaddukefan provided of the ESPN article from the 2021-2022 season indicates that a lot of these rankings ended up being bunk in the end.

Yeah...... #23 on that list averaged 15 and 9 in her final season in the Big 10. She ended up playing about 10 minutes more than I did during the ACC portion of the season. Hopefully she gets more playing time this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aren’t there rules against recruiting transfers?
The transfer portal is a recruiting pool. That’s the sole purpose of its existence. To have all of the players wishing to transfer in one place. A player enters the pool, and waits for schools that are interested to contact (recruit) her, unless she has asked not to be contacted (they already have something in the works with another school).

Sometimes parents or AAU coaches (behind the scenes) work out a clandestine agreement for the player (before they enter the portal) that no one will admit to. In these cases, we never know who contacted who first. Players are not considered “transfers“ until they declare, and enter the portal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am very interested to see how Kara does this season. I feel like this is the baseline for her as we are finally completely over all the Covid madness. I have always felt that she has “the goods” and is likely to be a very good coach. I guess this is when we find out.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal is a recruiting pool. That’s the sole purpose of its existence. To have all of the players wishing to transfer in one place. A player enters the pool, and waits for schools that are interested to contact (recruit) her, unless she has asked not to be contacted.

Sometimes parents or AAU coaches (behind the scenes) work out a clandestine agreement for the player that no one will admit to. In these cases, we never know who contacted who first. Players are not considered “transfers“ until they declare, and enter the portal.
Ok. I was thinking of cases where a player is recruited from off an active team roster — that is, before they enter the portal. I seem to recall Geno mentioning this as an abuse.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ok. I was thinking of cases where a player is recruited from off an active team roster — that is, before they enter the portal. I seem to recall Geno mentioning this as an abuse.
Yes. You recall correctly. It is an abuse.

Reaction Score
If any team will benefit from the 2022 transfer portal it should be Virginia. Yes, Virginia only won 5 games last season and I would not expect to see them in the final four. But, they should improve significantly with Sam Brunellle and Alexia Smith. Also, don’t forget about Mir McClean who transferred just before the start of the 2022 second semester. Charlie appears to have limited his selections to include only the higher ranked teams that will benefit from the portal and should have titled his article as such.
I was so upset with his leaving Sam off the list (not even an “others considered”) that I wrote him an email. Not surprisingly, no response.

Reaction Score
will never understand why people get so offended over a list. Anyone can make one, you don't have to agree with it.

Reaction Score
Lsu, Tenn., and other big schools, with big salaried coaches aren't dipping into the pool, they're swimming in it. When they miss out on top recruits 'the portal basically allows them to secure talent they previously couldn't sign. The system is basically having a waiver or minor league platform that enable coaches to help with their job security in securing talent, to get quick results. A formula should have been put in place where a quota is in effect., not enabling schools to abuse the system and change the balance of power and build entire rosters.

Reaction Score
Lsu, Tenn., and other big schools, with big salaried coaches aren't dipping into the pool, they're swimming in it. When they miss out on top recruits 'the portal basically allows them to secure talent they previously couldn't sign. The system is basically having a waiver or minor league platform that enable coaches to help with their job security in securing talent, to get quick results. A formula should have been put in place where a quota is in effect., not enabling schools to abuse the system and change the balance of power and build entire rosters.
The portal was sold as something to benefit the students when in reality it's to help coaches.

Reaction Score
We won't know until the end of the season which teams benefited most from the portal. What we know now is which teams are expected to rely on players from the portal during the upcoming season.

If Mimi Collins has another year of eligibility she can transfer back to Tenn next season. :)

Reaction Score
We won't know until the end of the season which teams benefited most from the portal. What we know now is which teams are expected to rely on players from the portal during the upcoming season.
If a team full or portal players win the nati this season the college game and high school recruiting will forever be "Doomed" !

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If a team full or portal players win the nati this season the college game and high school recruiting will forever be "Doomed" !
I doubt it. HS recruiting will still need to be the lifeblood of successful programs.

To be sure, there have already been teams that would not have won a national championship without a transfer or 2. It just happened before the "portal" arrived on the scene.

South Carolina doesn't win in 2017 without Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray.
Notre Dame doesn't win in 2018 without Jessica Shephard
Baylor doesn't win in 2019 without Chloe Jackson.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. HS recruiting will still need to be the lifeblood of successful programs.

To be sure, there have already been teams that would not have won a national championship without a transfer or 2. It just happened before the "portal" arrived on the scene.

South Carolina doesn't win in 2017 without Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray.
Notre Dame doesn't win in 2018 without Jessica Shephard
Baylor doesn't win in 2019 without Chloe Jackson.
Agreed , but the way NIL is changing the game along with the portal being a free agency market pretty much high school recruits wont be as coveted or majorty wont finish 4 years at the same school . Poaching and $$ signs will start a trend that was already going but now that its free to do openly it will definitely impact recruiting high school seniors . Imagine 5 of the top 10 players in the country utilizing the transfer portal to all form a superteam somewhere that will give them each 100K for 1 season . That's the future , just waiting on who has the kahunas to actually do it . Rumor this past offseason of this flew a bit but did not develop as coach yo could not get the job done down in Ole miss with the portal.

Reaction Score
I agree.
ESPN asks whether Lou's talent as MAAC POY can translate to the Big East & the national stage.
That and the fact that the MAAC conference was #25 in the NET rankings out of 32 WBB conferences is another major factor leading to her individual ranking being so low.
Fairfield's NET ranking was #102, and despite being the MAAC champions, they lost games to Rutgers, Yale, UMass & Siena among others.
As UConn's most experienced guard with 4 full years of PT, Lou will have a chip on her shoulder & extra pressure to prove herself.

NET WBB Conference Rankings 2021-2022 below:

I think Lou will slip into her role very nicely.
A couple of months mixing it up with her new UCONN teammates will allow her to become acclimated to this higher level of skill and competition.
I expect she’ll do fine.
Agreed , but the way NIL is changing the game along with the portal being a free agency market pretty much high school recruits wont be as coveted or majorty wont finish 4 years at the same school . Poaching and $$ signs will start a trend that was already going but now that its free to do openly it will definitely impact recruiting high school seniors . Imagine 5 of the top 10 players in the country utilizing the transfer portal to all form a superteam somewhere that will give them each 100K for 1 season . That's the future , just waiting on who has the kahunas to actually do it . Rumor this past offseason of this flew a bit but did not develop as coach yo could not get the job done down in Ole miss with the portal.
$100k- Agent-taxes is jingling money, not folding money.
Tip top players want to go to the Pros.
That really narrows the field.
And if parents still have any input, the sheepskin still matters.

Reaction Score

Wasn't aware Ole Miss was the school in question. I remember the rumour though.

Reaction Score
Approaching the portal situation from the academic side, as a college prof, I am always struck by kids who transfer out of their region to go from one state school to another. It's difficult to imagine any academic reason for the transfer in most such cases, which means it's essentially done for pre-professional positioning. I have no objection to this at all from an academic point of view, but it is yet another indicator of the professionalization of the college game.

Reaction Score
I have mentioned this before. The Texas Q.B. left , went to Ohio State, received 2 million in endorsements, came back to Texas and is making 4 million per.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom