Which schools actually belong in Division 1? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Which schools actually belong in Division 1?

Reaction Score
I did not even know that Vermont had a sports program, or Rhode Island (tongue somewhat in cheek)...down here in the deep south, we'd be more aware of Valdosta State or Georgia Southern.
Florida State played Vermont in the NCAA tournament in 2019. (Ironically, at the XL Center in Hartford.)

Reaction Score
Florida State played Vermont in the NCAA tournament in 2019. (Ironically, at the XL Center in Hartford.)

Thanks....

Football is a club sport up there.....thus I had not run across the Catamounts in football.

There are many decent basketball programs where the athletic dpartment does not field an FBS/FCS football squad.

Reaction Score
A couple of things here…Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are major public universities. VaTech is I believe, the land grant university in Virginia.

You are including Howard, but not the MAC schools? Utter silliness.

You are basing this on basketball? Uh, not happening. Any new divisions will be based on football.

Reaction Score
Beyond your due?

Maybe, just maybe..those teams that have spent a century building a brand, that draw national interest, should make the money.

I love South Alabama and Georgia Southern but when they invest another 50 or more years into program building, build huge fan bases, build national interest, build competitive programs, they too, will draw enough national interest to warrant the media dollars that an Alabama or Ohio State can command. I love the dominance of South Dakota State, and that they know that they would just be another Buffalo in the higher classification.

True, the present conference system has skirt riders. A program like Indiana gets paid like Ohio State. And that is primarily a result of college football fandom and tradition. I wonder if NFL fans pull as hard for other teams in their division/league as do NCAA fans. Or place as much emphasis on cross league games.

132 teams is a ridiculous league. You can not have any semblance of parity. In strength, in interest, in resources....it must be condensed.

There is a reason that the NFL has 32 teams, not 100.

I am old enough to remember the pro football minor leagues. Heck, the older UConn goats may remember the Hartford Charter Oaks.

There were many pro minor league attempts...they all failed. The spot light gets smaller on the big stage.
The Charter Oaks? They were owned by Savin, IIRC!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A friend of mine's cousin flunked out of Framingham.
Funny...My childhood friend flunked out of Manchester Community College...(I flunked PoliSci in 1976 at MCC. I told the professor that I'll vote for whom I want and you can't force me to vote for Mr. Peanut. She told me never to come back.)

Reaction Score
If you can meet the requirements then you should be there. It’s that simple.

Reaction Score
What about Hobart? They compete in D1 lacrosse but are D3 in everything else.

Or Colorado College that competes in D1 Hockey.

Even though I respect the thought experiment your system is just a caste system. What if some school in D2 decided to spend some money and blew their peers out of the water?

If some private school with a 2000 person enrollment can swing the requirements and compete then more power to them.

Reaction Score
"If can swing requirements"

It is the requirements that make the difference...GIGO.

Reaction Score
"If can swing requirements"

It is the requirements that make the difference...GIGO.

What level of competition you compete in shouldn’t depend on things like enrollment or meaningless “flagship” status.

The football team lost to a school with an enrollment of 3000 last year and I’m not talking about West Point.

If you raise the bar in such a way that it’s designed to only include certain types of schools then that’s probably going to be illegal.

Reaction Score
Beyond your due?

Maybe, just maybe..those teams that have spent a century building a brand, that draw national interest, should make the money.

I love South Alabama and Georgia Southern but when they invest another 50 or more years into program building, build huge fan bases, build national interest, build competitive programs, they too, will draw enough national interest to warrant the media dollars that an Alabama or Ohio State can command. I love the dominance of South Dakota State, and that they know that they would just be another Buffalo in the higher classification.

True, the present conference system has skirt riders. A program like Indiana gets paid like Ohio State. And that is primarily a result of college football fandom and tradition. I wonder if NFL fans pull as hard for other teams in their division/league as do NCAA fans. Or place as much emphasis on cross league games.

132 teams is a ridiculous league. You can not have any semblance of parity. In strength, in interest, in resources....it must be condensed.

There is a reason that the NFL has 32 teams, not 100.

I am old enough to remember the pro football minor leagues. Heck, the older UConn goats may remember the Hartford Charter Oaks.

There were many pro minor league attempts...they all failed. The spot light gets smaller on the big stage.

No spending a century doesn’t entitle you to anything that you can’t negotiate for.

This is America not England.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem....competiveness.

Texas A&M just signed a class that is historic...more five stars than the whole of the Big Ten. Twenty-six five and four star athletes signed.

When Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M have signed more five star athletes than the other P5 conferences rolled together (excluding SEC), there is a table tilt.

And we wonder why these teams play in the CFP ?

Reaction Score
Here's the problem....competiveness.

Texas A&M just signed a class that is historic...more five stars than the whole of the Big Ten. Twenty-six five and four star athletes signed.

When Alabama, Georgia, and Texas A&M have signed more five star athletes than the other P5 conferences rolled together (excluding SEC), there is a table tilt.

And we wonder why these teams play in the CFP ?

Different problem. Ironic from a fan from Free Shoes University.

Reaction Score
Dang...I had forgotten that FSU played Murray State and Vermont that tournament...I do remember the Sweet 16 loss to Gonzaga.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom