Which player has impressed you the most? | The Boneyard

Which player has impressed you the most?

Thus far, which player has impressed you the most?

• Brianna Banks

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • KML

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Kelly Faris

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Breanna Stewart

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Steph Dolson

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Kiah Stokes

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other (Hartley, Doty, MoJeff, Tuck)

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Several players have really impressed me so far. Which one has impressed you the most? (System only allows 7 choices.)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
You should have left Stewart off the list. :) Even without her the choice would be difficult. My order of impressiveness -

1. Stewart
2. Dolson
3. Banks
4. Stokes
5. Tuck

Faris is not on my list because she's not doing anything outside of what I expected. The same is true of Mosqueda-Lewis. My list is more about me being impressed by a new player (Srewart and Tuck) and me being impressed by the improvement in returning players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kelly's ability to score this year and her willingness to shoot with great success is pretty impressive, too.

Reaction Score
I voted for Breanna because she's been so very impressive...however, this year has been full of bright spots so far...in no particular order:
  • Stephanie Dolson getting herself into championship condition...I see more quality minutes with less fatigue fouls and a more aggressive offensive and defensive presence...!
  • Kelly Faris...adding a shooter's touch to her otherworldly total game...and clearly making converts among the underclassmen to Faris-ball...!
  • Brianna Banks...confident, heady, fast and hyper-athletic...she now looks like she did in the McDonald's all-american game where she was possibly the best guard on the floor...!
  • Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis...looks to be in championship condition and seems possessed by the Kelly Faris demons...only fair since she's loaned Kelly her impeccable shooting touch...!
  • Caroline Doty...playing like her knee isn't bothering her anymore...confidant and tough with an angel's shooting touch...!
  • Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson have played beyond their years, although you know they are still absorbing Geno's system...from where they are today, my ceiling for both of them has risen...!
  • Kiah Stokes...if anything looks more intimidating (the weight room?)...and I've yet to see a player put a shot up over her without a deflection or a block...a dominating defensive presence with the agility to add an offensive repertoire in time...!
I have such high expectations for Bria...and am already so impressed with her...and her exploits in Greece over the summer, that the needle may be buried at the moment...!

The way the team is already meshing in all its multiple configurations may be what's impressed me most...so I guess we need to say we are seeing a most impressive coaching display...!

Reaction Score
It would be easy to vote for Breanna Stewart, but I voted for Doty. I'm really impressed with how well she's moving and hitting those threes. Not exactly like the old BangBang, but close enough to make me happy.

U

UCONNfan1

How can you pick just one? Fun poll and I chose Brianna, but there are at least 2 things I could tell you I found impressive AND surprising about every one of the top 10 players on the team.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You should have left Stewart off the list. :) Even without her the choice would be difficult. My order of impressiveness -

1. Stewart
2. Dolson
3. Banks
4. Stokes
5. Tuck

Faris is not on my list because she's not doing anything outside of what I expected. The same is true of Mosqueda-Lewis. My list is more about me being impressed by a new player (Srewart and Tuck) and me being impressed by the improvement in returning players.

You expected Faris to shoot 72% from the field and 6-11 on 3's?
You expected Lewis to shoot 57% from the field and 14-28 on 3's after 5 games? And lead the team in steals with 12?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

1. Stewart
2. Dolson
3. Banks
4. Stokes
5. Tuck

Good ranking

Reaction Score
I voted for Stewart, but the Sophs are really impressive and if Kelly can keep making 3's, Uconn will be unbeatable this year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
YOu know, I voted, but it was hard because so many of them impressed me:
Brianna, Kaleena (surprised she got so few votes - I am going to start calling her Kelly Jr), Kelly, Stefanie, and Kiah have all made great, huge strides, but Brianna whom I put first has really got my attention - she is going to be something special, and I just can't wait to see her take the floor again. Everyone was shouting about the freshman long before they stepped on the court, so they didn't really count for me - yes, theyare terrific and appear to be playing beyond their years, but I really felt I should limit myself to the superlative sights of the returning folks.

my, my, my but this team is special

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I just had to go with Lewis ( although I could have cast my vote for several others). There is something about her maturity this year, and her aggressiveness that I was amazed to see. I expected Stewie to be fabulous, and she is...and Kelly hitting shots makes me want to cry...what a great kid! And Banks banking em..But I had to go with the Mosquito....she is going to be stinging a lot of teams if she keeps this up...

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Stewie is legit and Brianna Banks is soo smooth...but I am just really impressed with KML's all-around game. I love her hustle. She kills it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great comments by everyone. It's so hard to pick out one player who has impressed the most. I think the most impressive overall performances have to go to Stewart since she's leading the team in points and rebounding. But KML has been amazing and really improved her all around game.

Then again, you could count the most impressive as the most improved, and that would probably have to go to Brianna Banks. Or the most impressive could be to Stef who has transformed her body and her game. Or it could be Kelly who is showing just how fantastic she is in EVERY aspect of the game... Or even Doty whose mobility seems so much better this year and she is just so smooth and in control out there.

Frankly i could have voted for any of those players. As many have pointed out, we are in for a very special ride. I intend to soak in every second i possibly can.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im impressed by the entire team. Individually and together as a team theyve improved beyond anything I expected. To put it simply....there are no "IFs" on this team. It is a journey to perfection.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Of course, I am loving what Kelly has done. However, my most impressive is Brianna Banks with Stokes second. I think KML, Stewie, Tuck and MoJeff are doing what was expected of them. I think we all wanted to see Brianna's athleticism used at the optimum level and now we are seeing that with a hint of swagger. She is a completely new player that I thought would be relegated to the 9th or 10th spot on the roster. Right now, she would start on 99% of the teams in the country. If Kiah can get to that level of confidence, oh my! I think she has improved a ton. Her positioning, timing, rebounding and shot blocking have dramatically improved. You can see that she is gaining more confidence and with the time lost this summer due to the injury, it may take longer for her to find her complete rhythm. But I feel that is only a few games away.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - what a tough tough question. I voted for Banks just because it was the most unexpected and dramatic turnaround, but ...
Of returning players:
Doty - more confidence and obviously better physically
Kelly - shooting lights out on top of everything else we expected
Dolson - from a 'center' has transformed into an athlete
Kiah - much more 'buy-in' to the system
KML - defense!
On Freshman:
I actually would have voted for MoJef over BS just because I was expecting a lot from Stewart, but thought playing PG would lead to many more struggles for Mojo - she has really impressed me with her control.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
So many good choices.

Banks was fast last year, but didn't seem to use it to good purpose; this year, like a new player.

KML was a great shooter, especially outside last year, but wants to be more, and boy is she delivering. Watch her on defense, she is really intense. Plus she has added inside shots with contact, not just pull up jumpers. Maybe she had those last year, but much more obvious this year.

Stewart came in with sky-high expectations, and has managed to exceed that high hurdle.

Stef is in great shape, and I predict she will become even more of a factor as she and Stewart work out exactly how to do the high low to perfection. I hope she keeps taking threes and makes a fair number, it doesn't have to be a huge percentage, just enough that the defense can't sag off her.

What can you say about Faris - she was one of the most important cogs of the team when she wasn't scoring much, and now she is hitting 73%. That won't last, but she is looking for her shot, something that didn't happen in the past.

Stokes has as many blocks as Griner, and in half the number of minutes. We have scorers, she doesn't need to concentrate on that, but if she can block or intimidate the opposition, her contribution will be a big plus.

Hartley looked like she is playing 100% physically, a little mental rust, which Geno has forcefully pointed out, but those rough spots will be polished soon, and she'll be back in the AA discussion.

It's clear that Buck won't be part of the regular rotation, but if she gives us 20 minutes of solid defense on Griner once (maybe twice) that's all we need. She can carry the concept of situational player to the ultimate. And let's face it, if she contributes in that game (or two), it could well make the season.

Moriah is as speedy as advertised, but unafraid to take shots - hard to tell she is a freshman based upon her on-court confidence. Occasionally drives into a situation she can't finish, but she'll learn.

The biggest problem I have with Tuck is my own - does she reminds me more of Cash, or Jones, or Williams? Some of it is facial resemblance, some body type, some playing style; I keep seeing her in there and thinking she reminds me of someone else, but I can't always put my finger on it. But resembling some of the best players ever isn't a bad thing, and she adds an outside game that none of them had at UConn.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
So many good choices.

Banks was fast last year, but didn't seem to use it to good purpose; this year, like a new player.

KML was a great shooter, especially outside last year, but wants to be more, and boy is she delivering. Watch her on defense, she is really intense. Plus she has added inside shots with contact, not just pull up jumpers. Maybe she had those last year, but much more obvious this year.

Stewart came in with sky-high expectations, and has managed to exceed that high hurdle.

Stef is in great shape, and I predict she will become even more of a factor as she and Stewart work out exactly how to do the high low to perfection. I hope she keeps taking threes and makes a fair number, it doesn't have to be a huge percentage, just enough that the defense can't sag off her.

What can you say about Faris - she was one of the most important cogs of the team when she wasn't scoring much, and now she is hitting 73%. That won't last, but she is looking for her shot, something that didn't happen in the past.

Stokes has as many blocks as Griner, and in half the number of minutes. We have scorers, she doesn't need to concentrate on that, but if she can block or intimidate the opposition, her contribution will be a big plus.

Hartley looked like she is playing 100% physically, a little mental rust, which Geno has forcefully pointed out, but those rough spots will be polished soon, and she'll be back in the AA discussion.

It's clear that Buck won't be part of the regular rotation, but if she gives us 20 minutes of solid defense on Griner once (maybe twice) that's all we need. She can carry the concept of situational player to the ultimate. And let's face it, if she contributes in that game (or two), it could well make the season.

Moriah is as speedy as advertised, but unafraid to take shots - hard to tell she is a freshman based upon her on-court confidence. Occasionally drives into a situation she can't finish, but she'll learn.

The biggest problem I have with Tuck is my own - does she reminds me more of Cash, or Jones, or Williams? Some of it is facial resemblance, some body type, some playing style; I keep seeing her in there and thinking she reminds me of someone else, but I can't always put my finger on it. But resembling some of the best players ever isn't a bad thing, and she adds an outside game that none of them had at UConn.

What a wonderful thread!

Two months ago, not even Tony C could imagine that so many players would be in this discussion.

It would be interesting to take this same poll after 15 games, after 30 games, and at the end of the season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
OC your absolutely right. I couldnt have imagined how good the entire team could be. Stewart I knew about when she was in 8th grade. But to see how much improvement each player on the team has made and to see how effective the freshman class is an how much theyve already improved, well, its hard to believe. One thing as the word spreads throughout the AAU recruiting will be alot easier and the ability to watch the games on TV is a nice feature for parents who's kids will be away from home.

Reaction Score
What a great subject to discuss. In reality it’s close to impossible to decide on the most impressive as on this team probably 9 out the 11 players impressed me so far (Bria is still working on getting back to her old self and Buck getting very few minutes as the 11th player were not as impressive as the other players as of yet but I expect at least Bria to get stronger as the season progress and if indeed Buck can defend Griner as she did in the past than we all be very happy).

With all that said here is the order of impressiveness for me:

I chose Banks as the most impressive as the level of confidence, the great decision making, the long range shooting, the defense are all a part of what a great player she has been so far this season. I have no doubt that this version of Banks would be a starter on almost any team in the country.

Stewart; what is there more to say about this amazing combination of skills, ability and mind in a well-coordinated person. What surprised me the most about her is how calm she is. Even the great Maya Moore used to be antsy/nervous in beginning of games (or it seemed that way to me) and Stew is out there with what seems to be total control of herself. The other thing that impresses me tremendously about her is that when she shoots the ball she immediately gets herself in position to potentially rebound the miss if it happens. Most of players when they shoot they look at the ball instead of going for the potential rebound. In short, she is all that she is supposed to be and more and it’s easy to see how with more experience and strength she’ll be the best player in WBB.

Jefferson: While her shooting is not where it will be, it is very impressive to see her on defense and how she is running the team as a true point guard. Her vision as a passer is outstanding and it’s great to see that she is not afraid to lead the team with instructions of the players of where to go on the court.

Dolson: Her new body impressed by showing the commitment that she’s got to be great and her moves around the basket are textbook beauty.

KLM: She was and is a great player and as such she is impressive. In a strange way it seems we take her greatness for granted but this year it’s clear to see that worked hard on defence, rebounding, passing etc to become an even greater player and that is very impressive to see.

Farris: She was a great all-around player before and she is the heart of the team by her ever ending 101% effort at all times but her new found shooting stroke is impressive and makes UConn as a team so much more harder to defend.

Stokes: Her timing is impeccable and IMO she is the best rebounder and shot blocker on the team (even better than Stew).

Doty: It’s great to see how confident she is and the calmness she brings to the team when she is on the court. While she is not as fast on defense as others, it seems that she figured out how to get the most out of what her body can do now and that is impressive.

Tuck: Someone needs to be the least impressive of the most impressive and for me it’s Tuck. She shows great moves around the basket and a good shooting touch from distance. What I’d love to see more of her is playing with the flow of the offense.

All in all the most impressive thing about this team is their team defense which is incredible. It’s great to see how at all times they cover for one another on defense and to have the aerial armada (especially Stew and Stokes) in the back of the defense to be able to block any penetrating guards is exciting to watch.

Its Only 5 games in but as A UConn fan I couldn’t ask for any more than what this team had showed so far so well to the best coaching staff in the business and to this dedicated group of amazing players!

HGN

Reaction Score
I have been Impressed with the whole Team.........It has been impossible for me to be impressed with one player more so than another. They have played as One.

Dolson with her conditioning and impressive play ; Stewie, with an impressive all-around game ; KML , with a smarter game and ever impressive shooting ; Banks, with a new attitude and impressive athletism ; Tuck , with a beyond her years game already , and ready to step in and step it up when called upon ; Faris, with hard play and a consistent newly found outside game ; Doty, giving impressive productive minutes and floor generalship ; and MoJeff giving impressive minutes when starting or coming off the bench ; Stokes, coming in off the bench and providing impressive low post play ; Bria's impressive supportive attitude towards her teammates when idled , and productivity after she came back the last 2 games ; And what can you say about Buck.....Just a downright impressive trooper who has been ready when called upon, and who has hung in there and supported her teammates at the expense of her own PT and pride.

Therefore , I vote for the whole Impressive Team....As One Impressive Player. And as One Impressive Team.

Reaction Score
The only thing lacking about this team is our collective inability to get the names of our players right. Remember, it's Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, (KML), and not Kaleena Lewis-Mosqueda, (KLM). Although she does fly around the court, so perhaps we can forgive the KLM designation.

Regarding the Annas, for Stewart it's Bre... For Banks - It's Bri...., just like Hartley, who probably scooted off at birth with mom in chase, before she could complete the name on the birth certificate Bria....(zoom). However, these killer Bres are deadly whether spelled with an e or an i.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom