Which Player Can Guard EDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maya? Parker? Nneka?

Well she's a very difficult assignment for anyone, no doubt -

I would give Nneka the nod amongst the three you named. Not like she would shut her down or anything

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Just like any great offensive player, you do the best you can against her and hope she has an off night shooting.

Reaction Score
Connecticut has some very good defensive wings. I'd be interested to see, for instance, Kalana Greene covering EDD. KG would give up about 4 inches in height, but there's a huge quickness differential going the other way. NY's Essence Carson would be a similar matchup, I suspect such matchups will be the real challenge for EDD once she's into the night-in, night-out grind of the league schedule. It's not like the whole league is made up of Canace Upree.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD is simply so smooth in her movements she looks slow. Every move is calculated and the pace is simply what is necessary.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Birdie and others were saying yesterday that actually this is easier ball for her because she no long has 3 defenders hanging on her all the time. I don't think any of us (at least that I read) ever saw this particular angle, and it's really an interesting way that the WNBA is different for a star like EDD from what she experienced in college as the player to triple team on every play, on every trip down the floor.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For fans that called EDD slow and over rated...
I'm not sure how many BY'ers thought she'd be over rated - I kinda thought she had the edge in the ROY since I thought it would be easier for her mostly away from the basket vs. Griner who has to go up against Fowles, Charles, etc etc. every night. But it does go to show ya - kids like Griner, EDD and Diggins, who were terrific in college, are going to be terrific in the pros.

I think this years crop of seniors is actually better/deeper - not necessarily better than Griner or EDD, but a better class overall in that there are probably 6-8 kids who can have a good impact on their teams when they get drafted - Chiney, Alyssa Thomas, Stef, Bria, Odyssey, Maggie Lucas, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting.

It's also been fun this year to see other players stepping up with some great games - Ajavon, Latta, Prince (I know she had some great games last year but i think was injured), Zellous, Hayes, etc. Those i just mentioned are actually the among the scoring leaders early on.

sTu

Reaction Score
Well the player would benefit from being tall, quick, and be able to defend on both the perimeter and down low. Add to that a set of extraordinarily long arms. I think one of those is in training now. :)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Yeah, Stewie is the only defender w a real shot, but they're going to have to wait a few.
First chance in the Olympic trials perhaps.

Reaction Score
EDD can just flat out ball. I don't know that there will be another like her. With her height, able to put the ball on the floor. Go inside , go outside, block shots on defense. It took me a very long time to get over her leaving us, but it worked out well for all. She had a great season, sweet 16 and we, UCONN won it all. Can't wait for next year

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
EDD can just flat out ball. I don't know that there will be another like her. With her height, able to put the ball on the floor. Go inside , go outside, block shots on defense. It took me a very long time to get over her leaving us, but it worked out well for all. She had a great season, sweet 16 and we, UCONN won it all. Can't wait for next year
Stewart. She will be even better.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
EDD is a very good player. When she plays the Sparks I'm not sure if they will guard her with Parker. Parker and Fowles had some great battles in college.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Can those of us who just thought it and even then only the overrated part have a different entre?

HGN

Reaction Score
Well it was obvious that no Phoenix Sun could guard EDD yesterday......I think she had the top 6 debut of any rookie in WNBA history. She did all that and was a bit nervous.......... So wait until she gets comfortable.

With Sylvia Fowles at center , EDD can swing to the 2/3/4 and be effective. Wherever the matchup favors her. And can play the 5 if Pokey Chapman wants to bring the opposing center out of the paint. The Phoenix game showed that EDD and Fowles worked pretty well together.

Reaction Score
With EDD's skill level, I'm not sure how many players in the WNBA can guard her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The change in sentiment re Elena is amazing. Maybe it's a different set of posters. :)

She was very good in college, but played with so-so talent against mostly weaker competition. But she was the target of junk defenses, double-teaming, assorted muggings, etc. In that context, it was difficult to assess her game.

I saw her in person 4 times. I don't think I ever saw a screen set for her. She seemed to try to shoot from as close as possible, even taking leaners that were contested. Given her stellar shooting skills, I would have preferred a squared-up 8' jumper over a 4' leaner. Maybe her approach did get her to the FT line more.

The other "negatives" I saw were that she has only average speed and would have benefitted from being stronger, because less talented opponents tried to muscle her when she played inside.

But her shooting skills are apparent, whether it's her unorthodox FT form that works 90% of the time, a 3-pointer, a bank shot, or a leaner. She obviously is a smart player. She also was a very good shot blocker, who rarely got in foul trouble.

Trying to figure out how she would have done at UConn is difficult, but she would have drawn single coverage when Tina and Maya also were on the floor. She would have been a major contributor, but not the primary star until her senior year. I think she would have scored about 2,400 points if healthy. Maya would have scored fewer, especially her senior year, because of team balance.

I think the best assessment of EDD's game comes when she is on a very good team with talent across the board. When she was coached by Bill Fennelley on Team USA, he said she was the best player on the team. Who else was on the team? Some guys named Nneka, Chiney, and Skylar. That says a lot! I expect her to do very well in the W. She is a very skilled 2/3 with the height of a 4 or 5. I predicted this a while ago--she will be an icon in Chicago. Look for a new statue next to the MJ statue outside the United Center in another 15 years. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well although very, very talented, she isn't by any means, "quick". Give her a couple years in the WNBA and overseas, then we can "rate" her.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well although very, very talented, she isn't by any means, "quick". Give her a couple years in the WNBA and overseas, then we can "rate" her.

Don't need to wait...I see she is unstoppable, and her cup runneth over with talent. Jury is in for me...actually, it has been from the first time I saw her compete.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Who an guard EDD? Russ, in his prime. Clyde Frazier. Or Satch. Of current players, LeBron might do the job. Maybe.

Reaction Score
Maya? Parker? Nneka?
I believe EDD will be the Kevin Durant of the WNBA. Too tall and skilled for the players that have to guard her. Should be one of the leading scorers in the league from day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom