OT: - Which non-UConn Big East Team would you root for? | The Boneyard

OT: Which non-UConn Big East Team would you root for?

Pick your Big East Bandwagon team...

• Butler

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Creighton

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • DePaul

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Georgetown

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Marquette

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Providence

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Seton Hall

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • St. John's

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • Villanova

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Xavier

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Not counting UConn, which Big East team would you most be excited to root for if they were on a title run?

Throw reality aside and pick your team based on who you'd want to root for, no matter how unrealistic a title run would be, cough, DePaul.

There are a few teams I'd be excited for but my vote this second would be Georgetown. I was born in '86 and grew up in suburban NYC so Ewing was my favorite NBA player growing up. I love that he's taken over the helm at his alma mater and I appreciate the character he expects from the players in his program. They're also a fun team to watch.

Dante Harris is one of my favorite Big East players and it would be really fun watching him lead the Hoyas to a championship.

Honorable mentions: St. John's (a lot of Johnnies in the family, big Mike Anderson and Posh Alexander fan); DePaul (would be awesome to see them get out of the Big East gutter, return to prominence and become a destination for talent in and around Chicago).

Reaction Score
I voted for SJU. My ex girlfriend’s dad is a season ticket holder. I haven’t seen him in many, many years, but I like knowing he’s happy when they win. He was a good guy and he used to give me his UConn/SJU at MSG tickets even though UConn was usually one of their premier games of the season.

In addition, I find their current coach and team very likable.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I voted Marquette. They used to be better but they're always pretty good and I like their colors.

Interesting to see that none of the new teams have any votes yet. :)

Reaction Score
I feel a debt of gratitude to Nova for keeping the Big East relevant while we were gone. Few of us probably expected the BE to be as successful as it was after losing so much of its core. Jay and the entire Nova program kept the light on for us.

Reaction Score
I got a masters at Villanova so I guess it would be them.

Reaction Score
Its been a long time since they were good, but would have to go with St Johns. Think its important for the conference to have a big NYC footprint (media capital of the world) and the 1999 Johnnies showed the potential when they have it all together.

One of the best regular season games I've ever seen was #1 Huskies at #9 Johnnies in the garden. Sold out arena - electric atmosphere. Crowd was probably 50-50 St John's - Huskies, and it was a game of runs where the arena was going nuts no matter who was making the run. That St Johns team had Eric Barkley, Bootsy Thornton, and Ron Artest (Metta World Peace). I'm not a Bobby Knight fan so that same St. Johns Team provided me alot of viewing pleasure watching them stomp the #19 Hoosiers in the tourney.

If St Johns could get good again, playing them in the garden would be the highlight of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Although they’re the best BE team so you’d think I would hate them, but i voted Villanova. As A fan of basketball, you have to appreciate the clean brand of hoops that they play. Team basketball, 4 year players, smooth offense, ball movement, very solid players and a great coach. They make our league better

Reaction Score
It's Villanova for me, was never a huge college basketball fan before college but passively rooted for Villanova since that's where my grandfather went to college. Luckily I made the smart choice and followed my grandmother's footsteps to UConn

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
UCLA. Love the city and campus, love their tradition as a program, the colors, and frankly as a UConn fan I don’t feel the slightest bit threatened by them winning anything, which is very rare for our program and our spot in the pecking order historically in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Villanova seems to do everything the right way. Their recent success never left a sour taste in my mouth because I never suspected them of dirty recruiting or anything. You win ball games, you get better recruits.. that's how Nova has built things

Reaction Score
UCLA. Love the city and campus, love their tradition as a program, the colors, and frankly as a UConn fan I don’t feel the slightest bit threatened by them winning anything, which is very rare for our program and our spot in the pecking order historically in my opinion.
You wamt Mick to have a ring?

Reaction Score
Providence because I like FriarJ (LOL)
Okay let’s get serious
Because of NCAA tournament Payments which go to your conference for equal distribution and can accumulate into substantial dollars for a non P5 conference like the Big East if your not rooting for all your conferences mates to advance except if your playing us or each other of course your cheering against your own self interest. If two conference mates were playing each other then circumstances would dictate my decision. You also should be cheering for as many conferences mates , yes even PC to make the tournament.

Reaction Score
Butler hands down for me. I’ll root for any BE team but I was on the bandwagon before we played them in 2011. Hinkle is on my shortlist of arenas to see a game, Indy is a surprisingly cool city in a basketball crazed state…sign me up

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Villanova. Class act coach and program. They do everything well and it seems they do everything above reproach (recruiting). I hope we can replace them as the dominant team in the league like Calhoun did in the 90's. Hate to say it but they are really admirable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you put a gun to my head and said I had to make a choice of one team, I would choose GTown.
I feel PE has done a great job overcoming a lot of player BS and has done more with less than any other coach in the league
Jay Wright is too much of a whinner with the refs for me give a high level of respect but he is a really good game coach with his switches and player management. The 3 top game coaches have to be JW, PE and Mike Anderson - none of the others come close but the Butler coach is knocking on the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom