Which is the better UConn cheer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Which is the better UConn cheer?

Which UConn cheer do you think is better?

• The Classic: U C O N N UConn! UConn! UConn!

• The Upstart: UConn... Huskies; UConn... Huskies; UConn... Huskies; Huskies ...UConn; Woof!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
They serve different purposes. U-C-O-N-N is for when the opponent calls a timeout during a great basketball run or a TD in football. Option 2 is more of a wake up call or a greeting. If you see a stranger rocking gear in an unexpected place you don’t start spelling out. You go UConnnnn and usually get a Huskiesssss.

This. The classic is the best but needs to be in the right situation. Other one can be started by anybody in any situation.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Class 2009 and voted the Classic. That chant cannot be beat and in our glory days really demoralized the opponents when that chant would come out after a run forced them to call a TO.

The upstart definitely has its place though and is always fun to announce our faithful presence before or after a game. For 2008-09 season I went to just about every game home and away and would try to get our fans in to it with that chant and usually worked. I remember leaving a Carriage House party in the wee hours to drive down to Louisville for our huge matchup that season at Freedom Hall. We were #1 in thr country and I believe L'ville was top 5 at the time. I entered the arena and immediately announced the UConn presence with a well placed UConn...Huskies chant. Some of our fans were a little hesitant maybe afraid thinking we would not leave victoriously that night. When leaving the arena though that is the only thing that could be heard in Freedom Hall.

Reaction Score
Class of ‘85. U-C-O-N-N all the way...much louder and easier to understand. The “woof” of the second choice is too soft.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
^^^ That was a fun day!

So happy we decided to make the trip. We closed down Linebacker Lounge in South Bend early Saturday morning and then walked back to our hotel after a 45 minute trip walking through a Wendy's drive thru because nothing else was open. Even the Wendy's inside. We were hurting come kickoff. Going down a quick 14 was a kick in the nuts but we all know the rest. Top 2 road trips all-time for me. Makes me smile typing this.

90 minutes before kick..

IMG00002.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They serve different purposes. U-C-O-N-N is for when the opponent calls a timeout during a great basketball run or a TD in football. Option 2 is more of a wake up call or a greeting. If you see a stranger rocking gear in an unexpected place you don’t start spelling out. You go UConnnnn and usually get a Huskiesssss.
This. There is one guy who leads option one and there is one place where it happens: Big Red and during a game.

Option two can and should be instigated by any fan, but especially among a swell of fans entering or exiting a game, or upon seeing a stranger in UConn gear in an unexpected place.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So happy we decided to make the trip. We closed down Linebacker Lounge in South Bend early Saturday morning and then walked back to our hotel after a 45 minute trip walking through a Wendy's drive thru because nothing else was open. Even the Wendy's inside. We were hurting come kickoff. Going down a quick 14 was a kick in the nuts but we all know the rest. Top 2 road trips all-time for me. Makes me smile typing this.

90 minutes before kick..

View attachment 44988

Half eaten banana dunked head first in the cup holder makes this.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Absolutely shocked by the results. I can watch a game at a bar anywhere in the country, and if I yell out UCONNNNN in a certain way I'll get a HUSKIEEES response. If I yell out UUUUUUUUU no one will know what I'm doing.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Half eaten banana dunked head first in the cup holder makes this.

The sole reason we stayed at Comfort Suites instead of Comfort Inn was the free Continental.

Edit: Good eye Italian's Sister. That's actually my brother. I always noticed the banana but zoomed in because of your post and you can see his room key too. Haha.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Absolutely shocked by the results. I can watch a game at a bar anywhere in the country, and if I yell out UCONNNNN in a certain way I'll get a HUSKIEEES response. If I yell out UUUUUUUUU no one will know what I'm doing.

That's a solid point.

Reaction Score
For me, its the classic U-C-O-N-N. I always relate that to big moments in games, and like many others have pointed out the MSU game at MSG where the roof almost blew off during it.

Reaction Score
A clarification: what is the 'classic' and 'upstart' exactly??

In HS we had a bench rider named Nad. Every time he got into game, the crowd chanted ' Go-Nad, Go-Nad' much to the principal's dismay.

Reaction Score
One of the things that made the Big East tourney so much fun was that there were fans of both teams in the arena. They go on a run, their fans go wild. We go on a run Huskie fans go wild, but then punctuate it with the chant. Makes it seem like the entire arena is filled with Huskie fans - maybe 25,000 of em in a 20,000 seat arena. It unnerves both the opposing fans and the players - they have no equivalent comeback and they know it.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Anyone remember the band at memorial stadium shouting, "watch out where those huskies go...don't you eat that yellow snow!"

Class of 2002

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The problem with option 2 is that it just sounds terrible. Guys sound like they're puking it out. U-KAWN HUS-KEES. I'm all for an informal type thing that can be started anywhere, just not this one. I don't have a suggestion for the replacement, I just know I truly despise the sound of what we currently do.
Man have I gotten old. I bet if I had a few beers at the game like I might have in my 20's I'd start the cheer. Now I'm an older curmudgeon and hate it. Oh well, life rolls on.

Reaction Score
The problem with option 2 is that it just sounds terrible. Guys sound like they're puking it out. U-KAWN HUS-KEES. I'm all for an informal type thing that can be started anywhere, just not this one. I don't have a suggestion for the replacement, I just know I truly despise the sound of what we currently do.
Man have I gotten old. I bet if I had a few beers at the game like I might have in my 20's I'd start the cheer. Now I'm an older curmudgeon and hate it. Oh well, life rolls on.

Coming out of the stadium at Notre Dame for the UConn football win I heard the "UCONN.......HUSKIES" split with UC fans leaving together and it was phenomenal and rhythmic. But it's not for the in game like Big Red giving us the spelling with his arms and body, not close.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coming out of the stadium at Notre Dame for the UConn football win I heard the "UCONN..HUSKIES" split with UC fans leaving together and it was phenomenal and rhythmic. But it's not for the in game like Big Red giving us the spelling with his arms and body, not close.
I felt like @Fairfield_1st does about option 2 until I started an epic one while exiting the Alamodome after we beat Duke in the 2004 semis. There is a time and place for each and they do not overlap.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah... because you didn't fully commit? Think about it. Just the first letter? You could be saying "Youuu! You bastard! You killed my dog!" How would anyone know? On the other hand by the time you get to the "O" people are fully on board. Take a look at the Notre Dame link above.

I like how this thread has ended up being a lesson in UConn basketball cheer etiquette. Somewhere Leticia Basketballdrige is smiling. Fully agree the Classic is the in game cheer of choice, particularly after a run forces an opponent to call a time out. The Upstart is a better outside of games as a generic greeting.

I left out "Let's go Huskies - [clap, clap, clap-clap]." That was bigger back in the day but seems to have been largely forgotten these days.

Reaction Score
I felt like @Fairfield_1st does about option 2 until I started an epic one while exiting the Alamodome after we beat Duke in the 2004 semis. There is a time and place for each and they do not overlap.

Yep 8893 exactly. Also anyone who was at the 99(?) comeback win at the Garden vs the Johnnies with a raucous crowd, #2 was earth trembling exiting MSG that day.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
The classic, The big red chant easy, the crowds going nuts and were usually doing something good on the court.

Class of 2015

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
One of the things that made the Big East tourney so much fun was that there were fans of both teams in the arena. They go on a run, their fans go wild. We go on a run Huskie fans go wild, but then punctuate it with the chant. Makes it seem like the entire arena is filled with Huskie fans - maybe 25,000 of em in a 20,000 seat arena. It unnerves both the opposing fans and the players - they have no equivalent comeback and they know it.
I never thought about it this way but it's very true

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom